Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in Daytona this past weekend and at a gas stop ran into a couple of guys who both had 2011 Victory XC's...stock. I don't own a CC yet, but that will come. I started off the conversation with, so have you added a Stage 1 Kit, unplugged the O2 sensors, changed the air filter, etc. I was so surprised when they told me that both bikes were stock except for an iPod cable and the tall windshield. After buying their bikes they were told by the Victory mechanic that the tolerances on these bikes were very specifically set by Ma Victory and changing them would affect how the bike ran. I've reading posts here for 6 months or so now and what I have read is that the bike has to be modified to increase power, run cooler and get better gas milege. Are there any stock owners out their that have also had good results keeping their bikes at factory specs?

Thanks for sharing your comments.

·
Registered
810 Posts
mechanically my XR is bone stock. 24,500 miles, no complaints. Still contemplating exhaust & power commander, if it happens it'll be after I pay it off.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
The bikes are designed to run stock with no problems, its peoples desire to increase power, or improve fuel economy, or run cooler that makes them change things, its not a necessary step.

Myself, my bike was never stock, atleast not beyond whatever QA testing the factory did to it, because my dealer had stage 1 filter/tune/exhuast on it before I even picked it up from them. I am a performance junkie though, theres a reason my last 7 cars have been big V8's. Love the sound and performance of a big engine. Eventually I will cam my bike, and maybe even do other internal work, but none of it is a necessity, it runs just fine from the factory (My only experience is a few test drives of 30-40 mins each but they ran like a charm, part of why I bought one). cheers

·
Registered
265 Posts
I originally ran stock, then wanted more power. I unhooked the O2 sensors, did exhaust, Vic performance filter and Stg 1 flash and then stopped. What I noticed was an unacceptable way the bike ran. It started backfiring and MPG noticeably dropped. I picked up Llyodz air filter to offset the issues I was having. They remained. I was recently "awarded" a significant speeding ticket that caused me to look evaluate what I was doing. I hooked up the O2 sensors and reinstalled the air strip around the filter (yes, it needed to be modified) so I'm as close to stock as I'll get.

The results, backfiring has all but been eliminated and my MPG is closer to the 50 others are reporting. My loss of power? I cannot even notice it, if it IS indeed lost. I've kicked around the idea of a fuel controller and cams but right now, for me, it seems like a waste. I want a solid bike with good to great power for any ride, long or short, I want to take. That is exactly what I have.

Oh, and to that heat thing. I only notice a buildup of heat with my closeouts on.

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I hooked up the O2 sensors and reinstalled the air strip around the filter (yes, it needed to be modified) so I'm as close to stock as I'll get.

The results, backfiring has all but been eliminated and my MPG is closer to the 50 others are reporting. My loss of power? I cannot even notice it, if it IS indeed lost.
I had the Stage 1 done before I took it home. I had ridden a stock X bike during a demo event and it was fine, but felt a little docile, especially compared to the stock cruisers.

The Stage 1 gave it a little more zing and a throatier quawk. The sensor removal and airbox mod didn't seem to change anything as best I could tell except I seem to get poorer mileage when the sensors are disconnected. I kinda like the intake honk with the strip removed however, but for those bothered by engine noises, this probably isn't the mod for you...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Folks, thanks for the replies. I did test ride a Victory XC about 2-3 months ago for the first time. I enjoyed everything the bike had to offer; its sleek look, craftmanship, the room and the comfort. I wasn't at all happy with the stock sound. That's probably because I'm coming from a bike that currently has the V&H Cruisers exhaust. My plans (until this weekend) were to add the Stage 1 Kit. Based on what was told to me this weekend and from other stock owners here, it might seem that the power and sound developed from adding the Stage 1Kit is hard to detect and it might cause some unwanted problems. Is there another way to change the bike's sound without adding the Stage 1 Kit?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Bone stock except for the seat. I got off a Goldwing, so things are very different. No complaints, especially after adout 4500 miles. The engine seemed to come to life.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Hey Folks, thanks for the replies. I did test ride a Victory XC about 2-3 months ago for the first time. I enjoyed everything the bike had to offer; its sleek look, craftmanship, the room and the comfort. I wasn't at all happy with the stock sound. That's probably because I'm coming from a bike that currently has the V&H Cruisers exhaust. My plans (until this weekend) were to add the Stage 1 Kit. Based on what was told to me this weekend and from other stock owners here, it might seem that the power and sound developed from adding the Stage 1Kit is hard to detect and it might cause some unwanted problems. Is there another way to change the bike's sound without adding the Stage 1 Kit?
In my opionion its the unplugging the O2 and pulling the strip off the air filter that causes excessive popping and even backfiring because the fuel programming is not setup to run that way. I currently use Stage 1 filter, Stage 1 tune, and Ness Thunder exhaust. Great sound, no backfire, very little decel popping. If I were going to do it again, I would probably do the ness pipes, state 1 tune, and lloyds air filter instead of the full stage 1 setup that I originally ordered.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I am stock for right now (just owned it a month) but plan on keeping it that way for a while. Gonna take off the tank badges when I get around to it, not that I don't like the badges, but they don't seem to fit well with the tank and my right one is already loose on the top third. The only mod I will probably do is change pipes but gonna do some more reading and hope to run into some guys who have aftermarket/modified exhausts. Don't want loud, just a nice rumble and right now I am leaning toward the witchdoctors baffled or may do the exhaust mods myself. I came from an 800 Suzuki so the 106 is plenty powerful enough for me plus I like to keep my mpg's in the mid 40's if I can.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
7400 miles and the only mod is unhooked O2 sensors.
stays around 45 mpg -2 up all the time. no probs.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
8,000+ miles on my XCT (bought in March). The propulsion system is completely stock. I'm thinking of getting the Cobra unit or having Lloyds do some work in the Spring, but only to reduce the heat; no other engine/exhaust changes in mind for me.

In the meantime, I bought BBob's heat shield (which seems to work, but it hasn't been as hot as it was earlier this year since then, so it really hasn't been put to the ultimate testing by me).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bone stock here. Running at high 40's in mpg. Personally I like to listen to the music and think that with louder pipes it would drown out the sound

·
Registered
75 Posts
100% stock and it will stay that way.

Apart from adding exhaust to most of the bikes I've owned, I never felt the need to fix whats not broke. If I want better handling, more power or whatever, I buy the bike that will give me what I'm looking for.

I can certainly appreciate and understand what some do and why they do it, just not for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
...No complaints, especially after adout 4500 miles. The engine seemed to come to life....
+1 to that.

I've got some serious performance mods: heel shifter and passenger hand grips on my '12 XCT! :rolleyes:

It's red - so engine mods can't make it faster anyway. :crzy:

Though the shifter makes up-shifting more certain (never had a mis-shift), Big Red's fine the way she came. After 4,500 miles, she did in fact come alive and maximum mpg was realized as well. With a fresh oil change I'm very impressed.

I'm sure it could be made for more ponies, but if I *need* that I'll get a bike just for it... I tour, I don't roar!

That said, I do enjoy living vicariously through all of you with the power commanders, cams, stage X kits, Lloyds sweet gear, etc...

I'm so impressed that when I put 100k on this one (~ 7yrs), I'm getting a '13 Ness XCT. We'll see what comes in '14 and '15 though...thumb up

Ride it like you stole it!
cheers

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
My XCT is stock, 21,000 miles. Purchased the end of April and already in winter storage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think most of the performance mods to the x-bikes are done by those who are just never happy unless they think they are getting 110% out of something and the if it can be done why not do it types. :):D

My 2010 XC is stock, though I did run without the air filter strip and O2 sensors unplugged for a little while. Didn't notice enough of a difference that way, and the sound of the engine and mpg changed slightly to where I figure it was good enough stock.

I ride to work almost everyday and riding solo I really can't see any need for better performance other than to statisfy the above mentioned attitude.

Riding 2 up on many day, weekend, and week long trips with the wife, I occasionally think the bike could benefit from a little better performance, but usually only a fleeting thought.

I am very happy with the performance of the bike as is and for the foreseeable future will spend my money on travelling and minor cosmetic and comfort upgrades (most of which are already done).

Cheers,
Randy

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mine was.....for an instant after I signed on the dotted line....... Does that count? :):ltr:cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
bone stock, and content.

seems like a lot of posts that have questions about erratic behavior/performace are about bikes that have been modified. one change leads to a problem that another change is supposed to fix. and so on, and so on...

no desire to be stranded because of something that i changed "just because".

·
Registered
98 Posts
...snip...
I'm sure it could be made for more ponies, but if I *need* that I'll get a bike just for it... I tour, I don't roar!

That said, I do enjoy living vicariously through all of you with the power commanders, cams, stage X kits, Lloyds sweet gear, etc...
...snip...
Just wanted to comment on a common misconception (see above).
Of course you can leave your bike bone stock, and it will run fine.

However, it is not that way because Victory wanted the bike that way, but because of EPA and noise regulations.

A great thing about Vic's is how well they respond to minor modifications. For $1,500 to $2,500 you can add cams, a fuel tuner, air filter and pipes to your bike - even less if you are able/willing to install the cams yourself.

For around 10% of the purchase price of a new bike you get twice the bike. It's easy to diss these upgrades until you have tried them. It makes the bike *so* much better - with no downsides in rideability or fuel economy. THIS is the bike how Victory wanted to it to be if the regulations would let them...

Don't think these mods are only for people that drag race their bikes or constantly drag their pegs and move at the limits of traction.

I bought - and use - my bike for touring. With the cams, the bike responds so much better when rolling on the throttle exiting a turn - especially two up. Or when you need to pass a semi on the interstate - or quickly get out of a dangerous situation. A small flick of the throttle is all it takes. It becomes effortless...

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Just wanted to comment on a common misconception (see above).
Of course you can leave your bike bone stock, and it will run fine.

However, it is not that way because Victory wanted the bike that way, but because of EPA and noise regulations.

A great thing about Vic's is how well they respond to minor modifications. For $1,500 to $2,500 you can add cams, a fuel tuner, air filter and pipes to your bike - even less if you are able/willing to install the cams yourself.

For around 10% of the purchase price of a new bike you get twice the bike. It's easy to diss these upgrades until you have tried them. It makes the bike *so* much better - with no downsides in rideability or fuel economy. THIS is the bike how Victory wanted to it to be if the regulations would let them...

Don't think these mods are only for people that drag race their bikes or constantly drag their pegs and move at the limits of traction.

I bought - and use - my bike for touring. With the cams, the bike responds so much better when rolling on the throttle exiting a turn - especially two up. Or when you need to pass a semi on the interstate - or quickly get out of a dangerous situation. A small flick of the throttle is all it takes. It becomes effortless...
You are making me want to move the cams up to the top of my christmas list! cheers

I just love the sound/feel of high performance, so adding more performance is an never ending path I am on (I drive big V8's as well for the same reason). I suppose the goldwing would of been a slightly higher performance touring machine, but if I feel like taking a car, then i'll drive my car. So for now i'll stick to my XCT and just increase the power that way (116" + cams + supercharger anyone? :D)

The ability to customize absolutely everything so easily on a motorcycle is part of why I ride them, you can truly make it YOUR machine, unique and like no other out there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts