Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find my boot constantly hitting the heel shifter, so far havnt gotten a feel for using it. What options are out there to go with just a toe shifter?

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is my first bike with the heel-toe shifter and it is taking a little getting used to, but I am really liking it. I personally would not want to change it but to each his own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
took my hell toe shifter and the running boards out and went with forward controls, best move i made for comfort and looks, good luck in your decision..... russ

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I find my boot constantly hitting the heel shifter, so far havnt gotten a feel for using it. What options are out there to go with just a toe shifter?
I've seen a couple different types of heel shifters on Vics. There is this on with a large screw in contact rod ala Harley. I curse their invention. They are about as obstructive and irritating as device can be.

heel_1.jpg

If I couldn't unbolt one like that I'd saw it off. But then the newer heel shifter on the Vics is a marvelous device. I've been riding for decades and never used a heel shift, but I demo'd a couple Vics with these and fell in love. They are not at all intrusive (to me anyway) and give our rather long throw trannys this one provides a good swift kick to get it into gear.

heel_2.jpg

If you like the function of a heel shift with the obstruction, I'd highly recommend this type.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought an OEM heel-toe shifter from ebay. I then cut off the heel portion of the shifter and cleaned it up and installed it. I like it much better with no heel shifter plus I still have the original in case I ever needed to go back. You might also just remove the rear peg for a test run before doing anything permanent.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine has one, I just unscrewed the rear post and ride without it. Always felt like it got in the way of my size 12 boot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to the Heel & Toe shifter myself & have just about decided to get a 'normal' shift rod from another Kingpin to replace the 1 on my bike. Nothing wrong with the Heel & Toe set-up... it's just not for me. I do like the floorboards on the KP Tour, though. Anyone tried this route yet?

Ride Safe!

Mike

·
Registered
454 Posts
I ordered on online (I think it was from JPcycles) that was 3" longer than stock for my Road Glide back when I had it, worked better than stock even with my big old work boots on.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority then. I've always loved my heel shifter and now I miss it on my Vic. I have small feet, 9. I got used to up shifting by stepping down with my heel. Seems faster easier n more natural. But hey that's just me. I guess it's all just what you're used to. Anyone wanna trade me your shifter?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yeah I didn't like mine either. Couple of times I hit it by mistake while sitting at the light while not holding the clutch. And I'm sure you guys can only imagine the sound of huge clunk, lurching forward and the stall. It's annoying as heck and embarrassing on top of it.

My new bike will not have one. :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
I went back and forth on the heel toe shifter on my Kingpin. It took me a few miles to get used to it. I started liking it, but I did feel like it got in the way of my foot sometimes. My new Vision does not have one, but I think I will keep it that way. I like not having that obstruction behind my boot.

·
13,047 Posts
GatorJoe
if your nub still gets in the way go to hardware store and buy a 6mm button head allen. You might even get lucky and they will have a chrome one

·
Registered
147 Posts
I love mine. Wouldn't change a thing. I use it both ways, up shifting with my toe or my heel depending where my foot is.

Second bike I've had with it and I laughed when I saw it as the first bike I rode with one was in the 70's but built in the 60's.

If I got another Vic with floorboards I would look in to adding it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts