Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming off a highway the other day, I realized that I started to lose power when turning on the throttle a little. I was able to coast through the rest of the exit and roll to a stop. Engine revving just fine, but I was going nowhere and I was sure I was in gear.:confused:

Got off the bike and started checking for leaks underneath and discovered that the drive belt was gone! A subsequent walk back down the exit ramp led me to my broken drive belt. No real wear marks (other than what was presumably caused when the belt snapped), but this thing was definitely pulled apart at the seams.

Hindsight being what it is, I guess it could have been worse if it had gotten tangled in my rear tire and sent me into a skid...but I guess I was lucky it just rolled off.... :eek:

BTW, the bike only has 23K on it.....Not too happy about being without my ride for what is going to be about a week.:(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Anyone else ever break a drive belt?
No, but as much as I like the benefits of a belt, they are certainly a weak link in our system. I've read elsewhere about pebbles wreaking havoc with the belts. Probably not a big deal running around the city, but get lost on a country road out in the boondocks that regresses to gravel and cross yer fingers...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Mine had over 30,000 before I changed it. Others have 50k plus others 10k. Luck of the draw. Long trips. Carry a spare

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Long trips. Carry a spare
Heh, me thinks you've not changed the rear tire on your new beast yet. Unless you're gonna tow a jack and maybe an extra set of hands along behind you for the trip, you're better off paying the AMA or maybe your insurer for towing insurance...and then pray like hell that it snaps in the vicinity of a cell tower.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
All that said, carry a spare. No guarantee that a shop will have one when you need it and it's light and packable. You can find a Jack.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
SB you are so right. Vision weighs a ton over that rear wheel. My thought though was to have the belt due to shops not having them in stock. My JP belt took a week to come in and then another day to put on.

I have the tow package on my insurance but it doesn't cover much. 5 miles then the charges start to come to me. Thinking about switching but my agent is a great guy

·
13,047 Posts
You never said how many burn outs have you done.
Who adjusted the belt.

I had one harley that had over a 100 thousand mile on the original belt. So ya never know

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I broke a belt on my Kingpin at 24,000. i think it was knicked from a rock.
I too had my bike towed at the tune of $120 for 8 miles.Belt cost $288 from a Dealer. Installed it myself. it takes about an hour or so to install.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You never said how many burn outs have you done.
Who adjusted the belt.
No burnouts....Too new to the game. I road a friend's 650 for only a few months back in the early 80s. Didn't get my own first ride until 2011 (the wife FINALLY caved). Too old now to start learning how to mess around on the bike...I need mine for transportation/work. Won't risk screwing it up by showing off.

The used dealership where I bought it in March was probably the last to adjust anything. Only thing I've done to her since taking ownership was the addition of some lighting.....cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
I snapped one on my Kingpin with less than 9000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer and complained very loud. They replaced it and held the bike until they figured out what caused it. I will say this, they were way slow in finding it. The bike was there a whole month, but they said it was missing a spacer. I have put about 9000 miles since then on the bike and have had no new problems. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just went through this myself. Mine made it till 34K though. A clean break just like yours. I was stopped in rush hour traffic and when I went to take off from a red light, I didn't.

I was reading my manual, well looking it through it really, right after I got it and I noticed it said to change the belt at 30K. The bike had 28K when I bought it. I called the previous owner and asked if he had ever changed it and he said you should get 60K no problem. Famous last words. Don't know what happen before I got it, but I never did any burnouts or anything out of the ordinary I guess as others have said, luck of the draw.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Don't know what happen before I go it, but I never did any burnouts or anything out of the ordinary I guess as others have said, luck of the draw.
Not sure why a burnout would hurt it. Not like it takes that much torque to get the wheel spinning, especially when there is no portly ass loading it down.

I'd be more concerned if my engine made a lot more power than it was designed/tested for and I had a habit of using it.

But anyway, it appears our belts aren't up to Harley standards. Mine will get swapped at 30k miles.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Not for nothing but these things are a dream as far as belt changing goes.

Remember (or if you are lucky enough you are not old enough to remember) that pre Japanese iron used to run chains. They had a mountain of issues but if you rode, you had a chain in the saddlebag JIC, or at least a spare master link in case you wanted to wallow around in the ditch looking for the chain you spit out to reuse it.

Then came the mighty belt. The first year or two bikers couldn't get over how cool they were. Then over time they started snapping. It didn't take long for the horror stories to follow. A fair amount of chain riders don't ride home from a chain failure, but nobody rode home from a left side belt failure. Belts created as many problems as they cured and you got to pay beaucoup for the fix and lose a few ponies in the deal. Such a bargain!

Now comes the right side drive and all is forgiven. You can change belt on the side of the road, you can ride away. It ain't easy as falling off a log, but close. Beats hell out of taking the ass end of your bike apart to do what we used to do with a couple of wrenches, a large assortment of cusswords and a can of WD to break the road grime off your hands after you changed out a chain.

Long live the right side drive, a real solution that brings the belt forward into the 21st century.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Not for nothing but these things are a dream as far as belt changing goes.
I don't get it? I've owned many chain machines. If you carry one with the correct number of links and a master link, you could replace it without so much as removing the tire.

Chains never lasted me more than about 20k miles, but I never had one break (aluminum sprockets are another matter). No worries about pebbles ruining your day.

In the garage, I'll grant you, changing the belt isn't the end of the world, but it ain't nowhere near as simple as snapping a clip on a master link.

It would make a clever fella a hat full of greenbacks if he could figure out how to put a buckle on our belts...

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
I just got my TC inspected and the guy said the belt felt way too tight. How do you know if it's too loose or too tight?
You measure it, of course.

As for the OP's belt breaking... if I had to guess, that was too tight as well.

There was a big debate once about belt drives only being for low powered machines and could not be used on anything with high torque. I was forced to cite my own bike and the fact that Boss Hoss uses belts on their V-8 powered bikes.

I'm using a 1" Goodyear belt for a Buell 1125R on the Kingpin (because it's 2 teeth shorter than the stock Vic 1-1/8" Gates belt). No issues so far. I adjust it to 9/16" deflection cold (loose end of the spec). Never done a burnout but it has survived many a wheelie.

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
changing the belt isn't the end of the world, but it ain't nowhere near as simple as snapping a clip on a master link.
On a real motorcycle you can't use a clip-type master link. You will need a press and a press type master link. If a belt comes off it won't tear anything up... but I have seen a chain take out the engine case.

It would make a clever fella a hat full of greenbacks if he could figure out how to put a buckle on our belts...
It's been done...

This type:

Or this type:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
On a real motorcycle you can't use a clip-type master link. You will need a press and a press type master link. If a belt comes off it won't tear anything up... but I have seen a chain take out the engine case.
I used them on real motorcycles that made a heap more power than the one I currently ride.

It's been done...

This type:

Or this type:
I might have to pick one of those up to carry with the patch kit. If I add a hydraulic clutch, that should just about all stranding failures short of engine failure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

So I was without her for about a week as the shop had to order a belt...But the day after I got her back, I gave it quite a good test. Put about 300 miles on her, mostly highway. I wish I knew more about the tension for it. Fresh from the shop, it seems tight, especially when compared to my wife's Suzuki S40...

Need to find a local mechanic willing to take some time to explain things to me...I was told to bring it back after about 1000 miles to have it rechecked - Maybe I'll ask him then.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts