Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I looked for a new bike it had to have 6th gear. Now I hate sixth gear and never use it. Coming from my little 800 marauder where 5th whined so bad, this big 106 just purrs and sixth I hear to much of the engine whine. Atleast its a simple fix just stay in 5th.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I'm pounding the super-slab across Wyoming at 88mph I really appreciate 6th gear. I generally don't use it unless I'm going to be cruising at 70+.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Since I've had my Honda Shadow Phantom sitting quietly in the garage pretty much since I bought my XC, I decided to finally up and sell it. First step was to take it down to dealership for a warranty recall fix.

Riding that bike and constantly trying to shift up into 6th gear, only to be reminded rudely that there were only 5 speeds, makes me appreciate my 6-speed XC all the more.

Of course, neither of these are hi-rev screamers. Just a loud rumble suits me just fine.

D.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Wow....I love my 6th gear in anything over 75mph.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I only use it if i'm going 80mph or above

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I love :kiss 6th gear on the highway. Don't even have too downshift to pass, just roll it on and go by.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess since I only run 65 to 70,is the reason I don't care for it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I wanted a sixth gear on the prairies when I lived there but since I've moved to an area with mostly twisty roads I rarely get even close to needing sixth. I've done a lot of both and I'll certainly take these constant curves over the straight line piloting any day. Busy, challenging, entertaining and just plain fun on every ride.

·
Registered
566 Posts
"hate" 6th gear?!

I didn't know that was a "thing"...

instead of "hatin'", why just not use it...?! lol...

On a serious note, I saw someone sold aftermarket gears that will bring your rpms up in each gear and make the bike accelerate quicker through each gear. Those who have them say it livens up the bike a good bit. Sounds like the perfect solution to get you lovin' on that 6th again! ;-)

Reactions: Blowndodge

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My 900 Vulcan only had 5. Did a lot of highway and long distance kind of rides on that bike. Had to put an overdrive pulley on it so I didn't think it was coming apart. The RSV only had 5 speeds also, but the way that was geared 5th was OD. I also typically use 6th on the slab.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I use 6th gear even at 55-60 mph if I'm at a set speed and not planning to change for a while. If I needed to pass someone, I would downshift (maybe even twice).

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: BP6666VR and Marius

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
It's great for interplanetary travel, "beam me up Scotty"

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Sir, you need to ride a bit faster. 6th gear at 80mph is 3000rpm and about 45mpg. It's a 106 sweet spot for sure.

Then again, using 6th gear and/or going faster aren't compulsory. So there's no need to be a 6th gear hater.

Reactions: half_crazy

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My 900 Vulcan only had 5. Did a lot of highway and long distance kind of rides on that bike. Had to put an overdrive pulley on it so I didn't think it was coming apart. The RSV only had 5 speeds also, but the way that was geared 5th was OD. I also typically use 6th on the slab.
I used to have a VN900 too. Interstate travel always seemed a little labored, but I traded the bike for the XR after two years. Our maximum speed limit is 80 here now, so I get some good use out of that 6th gear.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts