Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a weird post... but anyone experience neck pain stiffness while riding for a while? if so what did you do ? I thought I would ask in here first before going to a quack and having smoke blown up the keister.
Jim

·
Registered
347 Posts
Myself and a few others riding the Cross bikes have found that the
2" pullback bars solved that problem.
^^ ..Yes.. This... Cured the pain I had experienced between my shoulders after a couple of hundred miles, too.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
As others have replied, I got the 2" pullback VB Tarzanz bars last spring and I can ride 8+ hours without pain. Push them up for around town "to look cool", and bring them back down for long trips.
Now I my a$$ could handle it better, I'd be all set :D

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the 2" pullbacks as well but I still get the pain. I wonder if I should raide them higher ? or lower them? ideas ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I used to get neck and shoulder pain years ago ... until I started wearing lighter helmets. Been fine ever since. Handlebar position does play a big role in it though and I've also changed positioning of them on all of my last 4 bikes. Haven't needed to on the XCT yet but installing the 2" pullback bars is in my future for just a little added comfort.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have the 2" pullbacks as well but I still get the pain. I wonder if I should raide them higher ? or lower them? ideas ?
If you install a backrest, that sometimes helps.. If you slouch on the long runs and "hang onto the bars" you are still pulling muscles taught between your shoulders and that puts stress on your neck muscles too..

If you find you are being jerked forward by your arms even slightly by the way you are sitting as you ride down the road, you'll normally get some relief from changing your seating position or bar position to where that doesn't occur..

The longer distance the ride, the easier and quicker it is to nail down the issues.. 'cause you can begin to feel where the problems are.. That was true for me at least..

All the best in fixing the issue.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Since you have already changed your bars, have you gone to a Chiropractor to have your neck checked? Necks are pretty fragile really and easily adjusted. Bowling ball on a stack of poker chips really. Just a thought.

·
13,177 Posts
Be honest with your self and give this a try. You need two weights of around five pounds. Paint cans break drums any thing you have around the house. One weight in each hand now do Shoulder shrugs do ten of them tice a day for a week pain will be gone.
Only video I cold find. If pain comes back just do them longer then a week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJRVVxmytaM

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I agree with VJ , some form of strength training should do the trick . I did not watch his video . I am in good shape physically and never experience any fatigue type pain . Good luck .

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I work out 4 times a week and weight train with my neck so strength training won't do it. Perhaps I'll try a quako practer

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's not necessarily anything to do with strength as it does with muscles and tendons constantly stretching and contracting..

More muscle? Heavier tendons which are not as elastic and do not stretch as easily? Can lead to more issues than will be seen by those who are flyweights and who ride, out there..

An example would be - if you don't already.. Go do some gardening.. your back'll ache, your neck, your shoulders etc.. It's not how strong you are, it's not hard work, it's just that it requires different things from your body.

Something to consider if the Chiropractor doesn't work out..

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mark.. I am wondering if stretching excercises would work.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a back rest. I am wondering if I should raise the bars or lwer them. I'm thinking lower. Thoughts?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mark.. I am wondering if stretching excercises would work.
The thing is with stretching, is that you would have to do motorcycle specific stretching.. Even Yoga would only stretch those areas of the body that is required to do Yoga..

Stretching does work to avoid most muscle and neck pain, though.. I have been practicing various martial arts since I was a kid, and these days ?? LOL .. Getting older.. I have to stretch for 45 minutes to avoid getting too hurt, from having my ass kicked for a solid hour and a half :D

But, yes.. Stretching works to degrees, depending on what you stretch, how well and for how long. But who wants to stretch for 45 minutes before getting on a bike?

Honestly.. I would look at the seating position, maybe backrest position, repositioning your handlebars, and another thing that helped me, relaxing my grip on my bars. That took care of my elbow pain.

When you begin to hurt, pay attention to what's pulling and where.. what shift in position eases the discomfort..'cause that is where you should be.. Try and chase that issue down.. ALL Bikes, need adjustment to make them comfortable - especially for the long hauls..

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Jim,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I have had sore neck, shoulders, and back at various times with various bikes. For me, I have found that the primary cause is the angle of my neck. I learned of this by examining ergonomic information related to lengthy computer use. There are certain body postures that are better than others for long periods of computer use. Amongst these desireable body postures is a neutral to slightly downward tilt of the neck. The worst posture is an upward tilt of the neck.

Applying some of these same computer use posture recommendations to motorcycle riding may be helpful. For me, achieving a neutral to slightly downward tilt of the neck was the key to eliminating pain. This posture is not that easy to achieve on a bike. It helps to have long arms (not me) and a tall torso (also not me). In any case, using pullback bars, changing the bar position (pivoted up or down but usually up), seat changes, and backrest lean angle are all factors to consider.

Before you make bike adjustments and after each adjustment, try to evaluate your neck tilt angle. Strive for that neutral to very slightly downward tilt.

You can also look at computer use ergonomic websites for some exercises to help reduce pain and stiffness. Some of these are strengthening or stretching exercises done repeatedly over long periods of time. They will become part of your normal workout routine. Others are done while sitting at the computer or on the bike to help stretch the muscles during the offending activity.

You probably know this but you can loosen two bolts, pivot the bars, and tighten the bolts all without having to remove your fairing. Just watch out for the tank because it is easy to scratch the tank while doing this.

Hope this helps.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I don't have pull-back bars, or a back rest, and I wear a modular helmet, yet I don't get a stiff neck. That's cuz I learned decades ago to keep my head and neck moving by looking side to side and all around. There's a tendency in all of us to not move our heads while riding and that's not a good thing on many levels. Do frequent mirror checks, observe the scenery, look at the sky and stay flexible.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't have pull-back bars, or a back rest, and I wear a modular helmet, yet I don't get a stiff neck. That's cuz I learned decades ago to keep my head and neck moving by looking side to side and all around. There's a tendency in all of us to not move our heads while riding and that's not a good thing on many levels. Do frequent mirror checks, observe the scenery, look at the sky and stay flexible.
^^^... Yeah.. Just make a conscious mental note to try and stay loose too; it all helps... I used to find myself riding down the road with my arms stiff as a board.. Just poor form and a bad riding habit.. I'd hit bad road, I'd anchor down, and just find myself not relaxing afterwards..

Next thing you know..

OUCHIE!

I'm a 5'6 and 200lbs .. I have good physical form, but being a little fella and for the fact that I generally ride long distances too, on such a big bike? I had a lot of adjusting to do..

So... There's that.. It's gonna be different for everybody by degrees though..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Neck Pain

I too for Vic 2" pullback bars. Here's my real problem. 7 years ago I was having neck pain and loosing feeling in my left arm and last 3 fingers of my left hand (early life helmet to helmet collision). After injections,exercise,pharmaceuticals, I had surgery to repair nerve damage in my neck. Don't count out the quacks. Choose wisely. I now ride, golf, and exercise pain free. Godspeed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts