Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Squeak found*

2012 Vic XR

Recently picked up a squeak when hitting bumps.

BUT only after the bike has been ridden for a while.

I cannot reproduce squeak in the garage after the bike has sat over night.

Any ideas?

Found it

The squeak continued to get progressively worse, had dealer tighten/adjust belt also pulled the pivot pin and grease, was still thee.
I jacked it up and took the bottom of the link off and the bottom of shock off. Laid on my back and shined a flashlight up in there.

A gob of tar and chip (rock) had stuck to the top side of the shock bolt/pivot bolt. Next to impossible to see and also real hard to clean. I use a small plastic tube to add to the spry can of cleaner to dissolve the tar then lube up the area. Squeak is gone !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ride it for awhile and try bouncing up and down while someone listens. Get an idea of where in general it's coming from and you'll solve it faster.

·
13,263 Posts
maybe belt and pulley
when you hear the noise pull in clutch. if it stop its belt

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I also think it maybe related to the belt and/or pully's. When the bike gets hot the aluminum starts to expand and shrinks back down over night.

·
13,263 Posts
Amboymike

can you give us more information

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a recent thread : http://www.victoryforums.com/36-victory-tech-performance-section/166897-2014-xc-very-squeaky.html
Read it through. Does it sound like what you are experiencing?
yes read all posts about squeaks, my belt squeaks when cold goes away after a few miles.

The is defiantly a metallic squeak but only after the bike is up to temperature, and on a large bump, I called dealer they said sounds like exhaust related due to it being only after bike is up to temp.

I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone had similar issue, my plan is to take long ride on Wednesday the bounce the Sh&* out of it in the garage to narrow it down. I hope.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Didn't someone have a bearing failure on the shock link and repair it as well as adding a grease fitting?

·
13,263 Posts
can't believe exhaust cause when it gets hot it would expand. Unless you put on mufflers and didn't get them on all the way.

Is the squeak come from front or rear and does it last for a few seconds.

might be headlight bezel or windshield mounts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*Update*

Sorry been on vacation for a while.

Tightened every bolt in the rear of bike. Still there but, I am able to reproduce in garage.

The noise is never there when bike is cold, once warmed up the noise is ONLY on the rebound (up)
after collapsing suspension sharply, and fully. Think large dip in road.

When reproducing in garage the noise resonates to much to pin point, am out of ideas.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine would always squeak as I pulled out of the driveway & the first mile or so, I scrubbed the belt with a sponge and soapy water, and the squeak was gone.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found it

The squeak continued to get progressively worse, had dealer tighten/adjust belt also pulled the pivot pin and grease, was still thee.
I jacked it up and took the bottom of the link off and the bottom of shock off. Laid on my back and shined a flashlight up in there.

A gob of tar and chip (rock) had stuck to the top side of the shock bolt/pivot bolt. Next to impossible to see and also real hard to clean. I use a small plastic tube to add to the spry can of cleaner to dissolve the tar then lube up the area. Squeak is gone !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Found it

Everyone loves a happy ending...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts