Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sometimes when I take off at a light and I shift into 2nd it will slip back into N. its enough to be slightly annoying especially if you are passing someone. My shifter seems alittle wobbly. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sometimes when I take off at a light and I shift into 2nd it will slip back into N. its enough to be slightly annoying especially if you are passing someone. My shifter seems alittle wobbly. Thanks!
Yes , mine has done that since new especially when accelerating slowly .... You need to shift with authority , no pansy ass shifting on a Vic . :grin

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, with mine its the exact opposite. Normal out and about cruising I have no issues, but if I need to jump out and pass someone from a red light launch 8 times out of 10, I slip out of 2nd to N. :frown

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
All the shifters are wobbly -- you can check them out at a dealer. I do that whenever I go to a dealer or a demo fleet, just to feel better, because mine is on the upper fringes of wobbliness. I've replaced the nylon bushing with OEM ones, and that helped a little. Many folks here have replaced the OEM nylons with metal ones from WitchDoctors, but that often requires sanding the inside or outside of them, to get them to fit and to prevent binding.

Re the slipping issue, do you wait long enough before shifting into 2nd? Because of the easy-neutral-finder mechanism, the bikes won't go into second unless the speed is something like 6mph. But I'd go much higher than that, e.g., at least 15. So, I don't mean to be insulting, but I'd try waiting a bit longer, and also, as stated earlier, shift with authority. Having a heel shifter also helps do that.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normal shifting 1-10mph i shift from 1st to 2nd.
20-30 i shift from 2nd to 3rd
30-40 i shift from 3rd to 4th
And so on and it never drops a gear.

And no offense taken.

When at a light and I need to pass someone in the left lane and my lane is ending right after the light?

Quick shifting 1-15/20mph, i shift from 1st to 2nd and 8 times out of 10 it will drop to N and i lunge forward wondering what happened...

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Normal shifting 1-10mph i shift from 1st to 2nd.
20-30 i shift from 2nd to 3rd
30-40 i shift from 3rd to 4th
And so on and it never drops a gear.

And no offense taken.

When at a light and I need to pass someone in the left lane and my lane is ending right after the light?

Quick shifting 1-15/20mph, i shift from 1st to 2nd and 8 times out of 10 it will drop to N and i lunge forward wondering what happened...
Shifting way too early!
Wring it's neck, then bang the next gear in and repeat.

·
Registered
141 Posts
These 106" engines love to rev. They barely come to life under 2,500 RPMs.

Do you bike a favor and don't shift until at least 3,000 RPMs.
Do yourself a favor and don't shift until at least 4,000 RPMs.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
These 106" engines love to rev. They barely come to life under 2,500 RPMs.

Do you bike a favor and don't shift until at least 3,000 RPMs.
Do yourself a favor and don't shift until at least 4,000 RPMs.
Once you get used to that start taking it to 5000 and you'll really get Motor-vating!
Rev limiter will cut in if you go much further so you can't hurt it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You can improve shifting by eliminating the slop in the shift linkage by replacing the factory plastic shift pedal bushings with the brass bushings Witchdoctors offers. You can further decrease excessive shift linkage play by installing an oil drain plug copper washer on the selector shaft between the E clip and the primary cover. All the excessive play you remove translates to more direct/positive movement of the shift drum and shift forks.

Tech23

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Possible weak detent spring or loose or worn shifter star.

·
Registered
233 Posts
mine has the same issue, or should I say I have the issue. The times that mine drops out of second is my fault for not banging gears hard. I run a heel shifter and as long as I stomp it with authority no issues. If my boot slips off of it or rolls a little it drops out.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts

·
13,177 Posts
catroadman

before you get a head of yourself start with a clutch adjustment then see how bike shifts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts