Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Anyone have their antennae snap?!

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  MNBill 
#1 ·
So, I'm out in Colorado enjoying Pikes Peak and when I get back to the hotel I notice my FM antenna is GONE?! I know it was there at the top of Pikes Peak because I had to move it out of the way and get in my trunk. I also notice the CB antenna is not as???stiff??? as it should be. Erectile Dysfunction for antennas?? Now on the way home, the CB antenna was resting on the turn signal and broke off somewhere in Nebraska.

Before it is suggested that it was done on purpose, the bike was in full view of me and 15 good friends the entire time. The bases are still on the bike, they both snapped where the base pares down to the antenna stalk.

Anyone else have one break??

#3 ·
Didn't leave my OEM antenna on long enough for it to happen. Got tired of getting poked everytime I got into the trunk LOL so I installed a short rubber antenna within a couple weeks of getting the bike.

#4 ·
My antenna broke as well. Got replaced under warranty so I tried the rubber one and it had poor reception took that off a grabbed the antenna off my '09 Ultra. I got good reception and it's already gone 50k miles on the HD. Lets see if it will do another 50k. I believe it's a fiberglass antenna for about $25.

#6 ·
Just last week my shorty antenae looked like it was lower than usual. I touched it and it came off in my hand. It had snapped just above the threaded stem that screws into the base. I am back to the original antenae so I will see how that works out.

#9 ·
Re: Antenna tuning; Find a ham radio operator near you. They probably have an antenna analyzer and can help tune the antenna just right. If you were in OKC, I'd help. cheers

By the way, I've built and tuned antennas from scrap metal that worked great! Radio to radio conversation from OKC to Denver on 2 meter using 50 watts (was a record for a few monthsthumb up) and a home made antenna.

#11 ·
Mine broke early, as well. I went to the short antenna, Autozone, but I have never used the radio (well, tested that it worked); I usually stream Pandora via my iPhone. I decided to install the shorty just in case there's a civil emergency and I need to tune into a radio station.

#13 ·
After reading this post and being tired of the poor reception of my Victory antenna I decided to try the Harley antenna. I bought the full size one with a spring on the bottom. Harley uses a female antenna and Victory a male so I bought some threaded rod, cut it to length and installed the Harley antenna USING THE LOCK WASHER my dealer had on the original when they gave me the bike. It is night and day for reception. I used to only use the IPOD as I could not hold stations outside town and now I get stations from 80 miles away. It is worth the $20 Harley gets for the Antenna for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.