Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did something stupid. I replace our garbage disposal which had seized up from sitting unused for 9.5 months while we were out of town. No big deal. A new one was easy to install. But here is where I screwed up. I neglected to knock out the "knock-out bung" on the optional dishwasher inlet port. The next day we ran the dishwasher and it didn't drain. I did a bunch of investigation of the dishwasher and took it out from under the counter and then belatedly realized that the reason it didn't drain was that the knockout plug was still in place. So this leads me to my two questions.

1) This was a very quiet dishwasher - Bosch brand. Now it makes a lot more noise than before when the drain pump turns on. Would it make any sense that having the drain pump try to push water through an effectively capped hose could damage the pump and cause it to make more noise than before? The drain pump still works fine. It is just noisy.

2) The top front of the dishwasher has some thin metal tabs that are screwed to the underside of the counter. The bottom front of the dishwasher has two plastic feet that screw in and out to raise or lower the front of the dishwasher. However, the metal tabs screwed into the bottom of the counter really force the top front of the dishwasher into position and hold it there. There is nothing that holds the bottom front of the dishwasher in place. It is free to slide forward and backward – effectively pivoting on the metal tabs at the top front. I suspect that the plastic feet are supposed to be screwed out firmly to sort of wedge the dishwasher into place and use friction with the floor to prevent the front bottom of the dishwasher from sliding. Is this correct? Is there any good indication of how hard to screw these plastic feet out?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

G’day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
My antiquated dishwasher would tip outward from the top when loaded. Upon inspection, I saw those flimsy tabs you spoke of and replaced them with tabs I fashioned out of a stouter material. That fixed it. What holds the bottom in place, I have no idea.
As to the pump - if its working, but noisier, I consider that a nuisance, not a problem. There is a big difference you know.
Maybe someone with more moxie about dishwashers than me will chime in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd have to believe that the bottom screws SHOULD be firmly screwed down. I'd look up the Bosch model dishwasher on line for installation instructions to confirm, maybe there is an indication in them as to how tight they should be.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I think I put a dirty spoon in one once .... The wife doesn't touch my tools , and I don't touch hers ....:ltr:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Is there a chance that you inadvertently changed the position of some sound deadening insulation or matting, in removing or installing it. Does mounting it more firmly cause it to transfer vibration to counters cabinet work etc that will convert the vibration to audible noise?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a chance that you inadvertently changed the position of some sound deadening insulation or matting, in removing or installing it. Does mounting it more firmly cause it to transfer vibration to counters cabinet work etc that will convert the vibration to audible noise?
Thanks for the good ideas.

I most definitely did not change the position of any sound deadening insulation for the simple reason is there is none. At least none that is loose. This is supposed to be a very quiet dishwasher and it has been in the past. However, all of the sound deadening is in the form of a thick layer of painted on black "stuff" coating the outside hidden surfaces of the dishwasher. The noise could be some vibration but it sounds like the pump itself. Nonetheless, I will try tightening the feet that push it against the underside of the counter and see if that makes a difference. Thanks, again.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts