Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have, are you happy? Did you come from Indian to Victory? Have a buddy that's looking at possible a new Victory or Indian coming from Harley and thought I'd ask for him.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
get him to look at and ride both as they're different flavours for different tastes.
Bottom line they both Deliver!

·
Premium Member
13,323 Posts
Most tall people will like the Victory better. The big twin Indian's can feel a little cramped for some.

You should test ride the Chieftain and the Vintage. They have a little different rake. Some people like the quicker handling of the Chieftain. I liked the way they both ride but some find the Vintage/Classic to be sluggish feeling compared to the Chieftain.

I found they soak up pot holes and bumps better than Victory. More of a plush ride vs Victory's performance ride.

As said though; it's the looks which drive most people one way or the other.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I quite like the look of the Scout but the chances of seeing one in the flesh on British roads is pretty slim indeed.
I test rode a Scout last Saturday, Krazy Horse are selling every one they can get their hands on. I'm 6'4" it's way too small for me but a great ride. I like the look of the Chieftan but for me the seat foot boards wasn't right and I have shorter legs 32" inseam and longer body. I went with a Cross Country tour, it fits perfectly although the screen is too tall

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Smooth

If you want a really smooooth ride go for Indian. Sporty ride Victory. Have a XRs and I have rode the big Indians and the Scout. Also it is funny sad to say, but the transmissions sure do shift nicer on the Indians in my opinion. :ride:

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Know of a Few that got tired of waiting on the New Scout when it first came out that went with Victory instead, but no clue if they frequent this Forum or not ..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Most tall people will like the Victory better. The big twin Indian's can feel a little cramped for some.

You should test ride the Chieftain and the Vintage. They have a little different rake. Some people like the quicker handling of the Chieftain. I liked the way they both ride but some find the Vintage/Classic to be sluggish feeling compared to the Chieftain.

I found they soak up pot holes and bumps better than Victory. More of a plush ride vs Victory's performance ride.

As said though; it's the looks which drive most people one way or the other.
I echo what he said. I've wanted an Indian since I was a kid (will eventually get one) and finally went to the closest dealer to me to look into possibly getting one. Once I sat on the bike I knew right away I would regret switching from my XC because it felt just like a Harley. To cramped,. the floorboard positioning and the feeling of sitting "on" the bike instead of "in" the bike were the deciding factors. I didn't even bother test riding cause I could tell just from sitting on the bike that being tall the Victory is for me. Its all a matter of preference and before you spend any amount of money on a bike,.. sit on it, ride it,. make sure its what you want.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My biggest gripe with Indian is that they feel cramped and the floor boards are on the small side. They shouldn't have sized it like a Harley. It needs to be stretched out. On the other hand, I like the low end power.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Also it is funny sad to say, but the transmissions sure do shift nicer on the Indians in my opinion. :ride:
I haven't ridden an Indian Speedblue, however I wouldn't doubt that at all.

My 1927 Chevy has a smoother changing transmission than my Vic!

Russ

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
My biggest gripe with Indian is that they feel cramped and the floor boards are on the small side. They shouldn't have sized it like a Harley. It needs to be stretched out. On the other hand, I like the low end power.
For a couple of grand in $$$ over the already high sticker price, you can fix that cramped feeling. The floorboards can be lowered about an inch and a Corbin seat will scoot you back about 1.5-2".

My 6'4" buddy is on a Chieftain...after admitting that the XC is a much more comfortable bike and he spent the cash to make it comfortable for him. He always wanted an Indian and now he has one that he likes. Expensive though.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Couple of grand? That's a lot of green to move floor boards and a new seat.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have to agree on the cramped ride on the Chieftain. I loved the look and style but the riders position is too close to the bars and fairing for my comfort. At 6'3" 245lbs with a 35" inseam I just wasn't feeling it. The price difference wasn't a factor for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts