Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, sorry for the strange question but I need some opinions asap!

I was going to buy another Harley but a Highball has come up at a good price. I have seen the photos of them and I love the look but I have never ridden one.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is the skinny rear wheel (and the rear fender a bit) but I don't want to get carried away with too many mods or I will end up in custom Harley territory before I know it.

The bike is in the south of London and I am in Scotland so I will have to buy it over the phone and get it collected.

Am I crazy to buy it without riding it or should I just get it bought? Bike is a year old and only 1000 miles so as new with pipes, filter and remap (but I would probably change them).

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just do it.
I bought one last September and came off a sports bike and still owning a gsxr but I love my hi ball. It makes me smile and laugh whenever I ride it .
It gets so many looks and double takes when I ride it round the Kent coast.
I don't regret it for a minute and suggest contacting ROBINSONS foundry in Canterbury and see what they have.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
From one Scot to another, go ahead and buy it. I rode one during a Victory demo day a few weeks ago and loved it, will also tell you that I met a few people there who specifically came to test ride the Highball and were not disappointed

P.S. why dont you just jump on the train and go down there, test the bike out and then ride it hame. it would be nuts to buy a bike without riding it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just spoke to Robinsons and they put the stage one on the bike. They know the owner and said for the price it's a good buy. It's due it's second service now so I need to factor that in as well. I don't love the look if the pipes (straight shots?) but ok for now. I like Hacker Zoomies!

I can't get time off work to got to the south of England to get it so would need to have it collected. Risky I know. Should I take that risk?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just spoke to Robinsons and they put the stage one on the bike. They know the owner and said for the price it's a good buy. It's due it's second service now so I need to factor that in as well. I don't love the look if the pipes (straight shots?) but ok for now. I like Hacker Zoomies!

I can't get time off work to got to the south of England to get it so would need to have it collected. Risky I know. Should I take that risk?
Honestly mate Id never tell anyone to buy a bike without checking it out. However if you had said it was a Harley I would say dont even touch it without trying it, but with Victory Id say youd probably be ok.

I have a Vegas 8 Ball with black shotgun pipes so I kind of like the Highballs pipes, as for the Hacker Zoomies, theyre cool but also mental loud, which will get on your nerves after a while riding long distances so I wouldnae be to quick in changin them yet

Also heres one in Glasgow, maybe you can go check that one out see if you like it

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301295102084/sort/locasc/usedbikes/make/victory/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/eh114nd?logcode=p

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been in there 3 times asking when they were getting that in. Left my details and also emailed several times and still nothing :(

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike I am looking at is also due it's second service based on time not miles. How much am I looking at for that?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*PS just re-read the title and that came out wrong. I didn't mean did you regret it but more just meaning should I/shouldn't I (without seeing it)

This is the one I am looking at. Just over 1000 miles, Stage 1 done at 500 mile service. Wrapped the pipes himself. Due second service now. What do you think of the pipes?

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know. I was thinking if I pay 8,500 then have to service it (not sure on costs) the put new pipes and programmer for Zoomies for example am I better of just trying to get a dealer demo for under £10,000?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This the HD Fat Bob Custom I was looking at but it is a lot more expensive. Do you think the Highball would be comparable to this? This would cost at least £2-3,000 more than the HB once I change the pipes. I love this Harley but the HB is cool too.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
HB-ride

For the most part the Victory will not spend as much time in the shop on the average. The only thing I regret about buying my Victory is not shopping around more for a better price. Overall am happy. Do have this to say, have read on here of people complaining of noises,etc. If you want a perfect bike with no character then buy a Honda, if you want something you can enjoy going slow or fast get the Victory. When I had my Triumph before the Victory I use to listen to all the noises the Speedmaster engine made(air cooled twin),lots of noises. Told myself not to worry about all the different noises and just ride the thing. Rode that Triumph for 74,000 miles then sold it,guy still riding it. Had to tell myself the same thing with the Cross Roads Victory,just ride it and ignoire the noises. It is a big twin, putting it in 1st can be noisey, klunk! So people hear it, think of it this way they noticed you and seen you. The lifters do make noise, they are hydraulic, you do NOT have to adjust them, saves you some money on adjustments. Cam chains make noise, it does have four valves overhead cams, much more modern technology verses other makes with pushrod engines and two valves per cylinder.----Personally I would go and check it out before buying,if not hopefully you are getting some of the factory warranty.--Again if you want a perfect bike get a Honda.... If you want something different that is not on every street corner of America( woops UK) then go for a Victory.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I didn't buy my hammer 8-ball , next was would be the high ball or hard ball, then a fat boy....seeing as how my hammer owns them all I'm happy and highly recommend the high ball...DO IT!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've done a wider rear tire on a fatboy.. This high-ball is so much more sure footed and fun and faster. I don't miss the miniscule difference between tire sizes in the rear. I find it more balanced between front and rear actually. Handles far better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
This is the one I am looking at. Just over 1000 miles, Stage 1 done at 500 mile service. Wrapped the pipes himself. Due second service now. What do you think of the pipes?
Looks fine for now. You could have the pipes coated or get new ones but these are fine for time being.

Service is super simple. Drain oil, change filter, add oil, lube various spots like cable ends and check clutch adjustment (very simple adjust). Anyone should be able to do this at home or wherever you can do it.

You can download a service manual closest to what you might have by checking out my sig line and clicking on the service manuals link.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you think guys? I know it's a HD and its a victory forum but do you think tat bike is worth the extra £££?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would want to get the dealer stamp just to keep the warranty and history spot on. How much would that cost?

If I powder coated those pipes they would look better. Cutting them down like the V&H ones wouldn't hurt either. Could you do that or would it wreck the sound and performance?

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
What do you think guys? I know it's a HD and its a victory forum but do you think tat bike is worth the extra £££?
Only if it has been switched over to gear driven cams.

I have had 9 HD's in my time starting with a 45" Flathead on up to an 07 Twin Cam Softy. I kept reading about all these TC motors self destructing that I finally realized I had to either go to an Evo, rebuild the motor using the correct parts, or switch brands. I had already been looking at Vic's since we have a dealership in town so when I penciled out the math it was less expensive to switch to Vic than rebuild the near new HD for the peace of mind it would take for me to keep it. Sad I know but there it is.

The other thing to consider is handling. Vic wins every time.

On the other side of the coin the HD gets you into a club that feels the HD is king of the mountain in motorcycles. This is what keeps HD alive and doing well because the truth is the Vic's are much better designed and far more up to date in relative motor technology. The HD wins in sound though. No question IMHO.

There are some fairly good YouTube videos describing some the basic differences is design
. It has 5 segments if you care to really drill down into what makes both motors tick.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Babcock zen lesson #1 of motorcycle ownership:I'm of the opinion, the bike you should own, is the one that you wouldn't care if anyone on earth liked or approved of. If you find yourself seeking approval of others on a bike, than it's not the bike for you. It's not the one that stirs you in that two-wheel manner.

When I bought my first bike, or rather when I found the holy grail that was my first bike, I couldn't have cared less. In fact, I didn't even tell anyone, but rather showed them "the bike I was GOING to own". She leaked, she had flakey chrome, sketchy drivetrain and rusty bolts. But I still TO THIS DAY wish I had kept that bike (old 90 Heritage Classic). Which leads to...

Babcock zen lesson #2:
Never EVER EVER if you can help it actually SELL a bike, unless you simply cannot stand the thought of it being in your presence. When you sell a bike you once loved, you will regret it. Just buy another, fix up the old one to its former glory. If space and funds prohibit, get a better job. cheers

:ltr:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts