Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Going on my first long road trip and thought it would be good to have a tank bag, mostly to just display the map, and maybe keep the phone and an MP3 player close by. I was lookign at some smaller, shallow bags because there doesn't seem to be alot of space between the handlebars and tank (esp on a full turn like might occur when getting in and out of a parling area).

Just looking to see if anyone has bought one that worked successfully, and if so, what brand and model was it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I have a medium sized Cortech magnetic tank bag that I never travel without for the reasons you mention above. It hasn't given me any handling problems. It sits back far enough to clear the filler and bars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RICZ for providing an answer that is "on target" with the question. Is the bag you have a CORTECH SUPER 10-LITER MAGNETIC MOUNT TANK BAG?

Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Here's a shot with a small Nelson-Rigg bag on the XC. I used it on my Valkyrie a lot but once I get my XC trunk I probably won't use ity much or at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Tourmaster GPS tank bag, let's me have a gps and keep it water proof. Keep things easy access without dismounting the bike. I love it, just a bit tricky when fueling.

·
Premium Member
13,172 Posts
I'd probably lay down some 3M paint protection film if I were to use a tank bag regularly. It's almost invisible when applied right and easily removed later. Well, kinda easy, it does take two hands to pull it off. :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a SW-Motech bag on my Suzuki (which I use for touring in Europe). Very ingenious. A bracket fits over the gas cap using the gas cap bolts. Then, the bag snaps onto the bracket, Very very easy to snap on and off, plus the bag never touches the paintcheers

I got mine from Twisted Throttle

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
I rode with one on my Cross Roads. I used it on longer trips on my GSXR and just wanted to see how it worked out on the new wheels. I had no issues with it but I don't think I will be using it much as the saddle bags are so big.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have used a tank bag but gave it up in favor of a larger luggage rack bag to compliment my hard bags. Generally, I keep stuff that should stay with the bike in the hardbags (tools, raingear, bike cover for longer trips, cleaning stuff for show trips, etc) and clothing/toiletries/stuff that goes into the hotel room in the luggage rack bag. I'll keep my camera, phone, snacks, etc in one of the side pockets of this bag.

I won't beat a dead horse on why you need to keep a phone close while actually riding, and an MP3 player can be put in a jacket pocket or on an armband, etc, ala jogger method.

As for the map, if you have no plans to get a GPS, check out this "magnetic map sleeve" from T-Bags:

http://www.tbags.com/Detail.aspx?ID=68&selectedcat=4

There may be others that are similar and more affordable, but that's the one I knew about.

·
13,003 Posts
3M makes a paint protector film I would put that on before a bag
you don't need scratch marks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts