Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, which one, and is it just plug & play?
Are you happy with it?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Are you happy with it?
FYI, not a good idea to modulate HID lights, although it's doable.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I have a Kisan plug and play modulator on the low beam only. Because the feds don't want them to be operable at night, there is a photocell on all units to make certain that doesn't happen...except on my bikes. I snip off the photocell and substitute a switch so I have control over when the modulator will be used and when it won't. It works wonders for getting left lane bandits to move over, especially at night.
I like to call it my light horn and use it mostly in trafficky situations, such as when approaching shopping areas. I'm not big on having it running while tooling down rural highways and byways.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI, not a good idea to modulate HID lights, although it's doable.
Oops forgot to update my signature after the crash, no more HID.
I figure if the bright blue HID didn't make me visible maybe the modulator will.
My HID was destroyed by the side of a pick up truck

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Oops forgot to update my signature after the crash, no more HID.
I figure if the bright blue HID didn't make me visible maybe the modulator will.
My HID was destroyed by the side of a pick up truck
Oh, I see. :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are you happy with it?
Ive got a 2013 Cross Country....no HID.

As Ive had as many as 12 bikes at one time.....and Im down to 6 now I had some headlight modulators laying around.

All were Comagination units. Problem was I pulled the headlight bucket apart and was expecting to see an H4 connection......and I found "what the hell is this?"

Apparently an H11....hmm, thats not gonna work.

After spending a good couple days looking for a plug and play solution. It seemed my only choice was Kisan at $130.....and I didnt like the fact that it was

a - TWICE the price as my Comagination modulators
b - didnt have a standard female plug on the modulator....looks like they want you to stick this odd two prong plug inside your OEM plug.....maybe it IS water tight and secure, but it doesnt look like it would be

Soooooo.....I just ordered some H8 (same as H11) female and male plugs off eBay for $6. Then I cut the H4 plugs off one of the Comagination units I already owned and soldered the new plugs on. A bit of heatshrink and it looks great, works perfect and it was WAY cheaper than the Kisan alternative.

Even IF you didnt have a Comagination unit.....

$60 for standard H4 modulator
$6 for a pair of H8/H11 plugs
......20 mins of your time swapping them out

Seems cheap and easy to me.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
excuse my ignorance

but...whats a headlight modulator?
personally Id like the option of manually turning my lights on or off, specially in the daytime, mines on all the time.
Kangaroos late afternoon get mesmerised by headlights and Id rather leave mine off till I really need it, and I like to have choices..

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
but...whats a headlight modulator?
personally Id like the option of manually turning my lights on or off, specially in the daytime, mines on all the time.
Kangaroos late afternoon get mesmerised by headlights and Id rather leave mine off till I really need it, and I like to have choices..
A modulator pulses the headlight about 2 to 3 times a second. It goes from full bright to about 1/3 bright, not on and off. Here's a link to a page that shows them in action....

http://www.headlightmodulator.com/

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
A modulator pulses the headlight about 2 to 3 times a second. It goes from full bright to about 1/3 bright, not on and off. ...
Actually, a modulator changes between brights and dims repeatedly. It does not do full bright to 1/3rd bright. You might be seeing that effect as the high beam is modulated, and the low beam is always on (on most Vic models).

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Actually, a modulator changes between brights and dims repeatedly. It does not do full bright to 1/3rd bright. You might be seeing that effect as the high beam is modulated, and the low beam is always on (on most Vic models).
'Splain that to me, will ya CR, when the modulator is hooked up to only one single filament bulb and its the low beam.:confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
'Splain that to me, will ya CR, when the modulator is hooked up to only one single filament bulb and its the low beam.:confused:
Ill splain it.....it doesnt. It "modulates" ie oscillates the intensity of a motorcycle headlamp at 240 ±40 cycles per minute (~4 Hz) between approximately 20% and 100% of full intensity.

This is a federal standard that must be met for use on the road.

It basically swtiches between 100% power to a single bulb and 20% power to a single bulb.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Ill splain it.....it doesnt. It "modulates" ie oscillates the intensity of a motorcycle headlamp at 240 ±40 cycles per minute (~4 Hz) between approximately 20% and 100% of full intensity.

This is a federal standard that must be met for use on the road.

It basically swtiches between 100% power to a single bulb and 20% power to a single bulb.
You and I understand that, but I'd like to hear it from CR how it alternates 'teen the high and low beams when its only hooked up to the low or high, but not both. BTW, mine is connected to the low beam bulb as my high is an HID.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You and I understand that, but I'd like to hear it from CR how it alternates 'teen the high and low beams when its only hooked up to the low or high, but not both. BTW, mine is connected to the low beam bulb as my high is an HID.
Clearly its because of osmosis.....

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Oh snap. I wish I didn't see this. Now I have to get a set for the XC. See, we have these people called snowbirds, which is code for blind, old, and stupid who can't drive for beans. This would help to get their attention when they are sleeping at the wheel doing 15 mph under the speed limit.

Hmmm, combine this and a Banshee horn, and I think I might even wake up the other person next to the driver. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts