Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around for a tire pressure monitoring system and have kinda settled on Tire Watch being my first choice. Anyone out there using this on a XC? The device mounts internally and the manufacture gave me the "99%" thumbs up that it would fit. Hmmm....

Not sure i want to "try it" just to maybe find out otherwise.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested here's a good article on motorcycle TPMS - from 2010...
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IBMag4-p76-83.pdf

·
Premium Member
632 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
We have the TireGard system on 3 of our bikes now and it's worked fine for years. I've had it on a total of 5bikes now and would recommend it. I can't imagine riding without some sort of a TPMS anymore. It gives you a lot of peace of mind to know your psi all the time at a glance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RideOn sells a very simple inexpensive and, based on my experience, dependable system.
It consists of two valve caps that contain a pressure monitor. If you inflate your tire to lets say 40#, the caps will set themselves to that pressure and at a loss of 10 percent (4#) an l.e.d.in the top of the cap will blink continuously until the situation is corrected.
Makes it very easy and the easier it is the more likely your tires will be inflated properly for a safe enjoyable ride.
Just another option to consider.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch for the feedback. Tireguard got trashed pretty good in the iba review on reliability so I'm hesitant about it. I agree about the importance of having one - likely will get something soon!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - youve got to be happy about three years! do you keep the monitor in your pocket when you ride or mainly use it to check before taking off?

On the RideOn system, i know i probably just got unlucky, but i tried it and both the front and rear sensors leaked! it was great that i could tell i was low - not so great i was low all the time. :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It's mounted on my left side using a ram mount...the battery in it will last about 3 FULL DAYS of riding or for about 10 days with intermittent riding without having to recharge...but you can also recharge using the AC outlet on the fair. There is an option to HARDWIRE it...but this is so much more convenient. This way when I get off my bike for the day when traveling...I just grab my GPS and my TMPS...lock'em up...and all is good.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
It's mounted on my left side using a ram mount...the battery in it will last about 3 FULL DAYS of riding or for about 10 days with intermittent riding without having to recharge...but you can also recharge using the AC outlet on the fair. There is an option to HARDWIRE it...but this is so much more convenient. This way when I get off my bike for the day when traveling...I just grab my GPS and my TMPS...lock'em up...and all is good.
Artie, some more questions, as I've been looking to get a system:

1) What particular RAM cradle do you use for it?

2) Is the monitor unit waterproof, or do you have to take it off when it's raining?

3) Do the tires have to be spinning, or can you check the pressures before you get on the bike? If you can check before heading out, are the readings based on the values when the bike was parked, or are the values current?

I'm a little annoyed at Tire-SafeGuard, in that if you click on the motorcycle link at their web site, it just takes you to an Amazon page. I'd rather that they provided a complete description on their own web site, but that may just be me...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hey Bill...

I use a just a ram mount (I'll post a picture when I get home from work)...and a ball attachment with flat surface. I used VELCRO and lined the entire surface (so I get a good bond (both adhesive side and velcro side). Then I lined the back of the MONITOR with velcro with cutouts for the switches. It works well, has never come off and I can removed it QUICKLY when leaving the bike parked.

1. I'll provide part numbers later today.
2. Unit is not waterproof, however I carry a bag to cover it...or if it's gonna be a gully washer...I just pull it off and stick in my pocket (you can do that even while riding).
3. Tires DO NOT have to be spinning. However, if the bike sits for a period of time, it goes into sleep mode and when woke up (any movement of the bike at all) the readings will return.
4. The values are CURRENT, however a few times I noticed that they for some reason or another retained the last reading briefly before updating.
5. Amazon - Yep, I ordered through them. But the time I needed the sensor, I called their support number and he took my CC info right over the phone...but he's in California so beware of the time of day you call him.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I failed to mention too...these sensors monitor BOTH pressure and TEMPS. Of course the temps are the EXTERNAL temperature of the tire (I think)...but it's still "relative" to heat of the tire and elevation of the pressure of the tire when hotter.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Hey Bill...

I use a just a ram mount (I'll post a picture when I get home from work)...and a ball attachment with flat surface. I used VELCRO and lined the entire surface (so I get a good bond (both adhesive side and velcro side). Then I lined the back of the MONITOR with velcro with cutouts for the switches. It works well, has never come off and I can removed it QUICKLY when leaving the bike parked.

1. I'll provide part numbers later today.
2. Unit is not waterproof, however I carry a bag to cover it...or if it's gonna be a gully washer...I just pull it off and stick in my pocket (you can do that even while riding).
3. Tires DO NOT have to be spinning. However, if the bike sits for a period of time, it goes into sleep mode and when woke up (any movement of the bike at all) the readings will return.
4. The values are CURRENT, however a few times I noticed that they for some reason or another retained the last reading briefly before updating.
5. Amazon - Yep, I ordered through them. But the time I needed the sensor, I called their support number and he took my CC info right over the phone...but he's in California so beware of the time of day you call him.
Arkie: thanks for your detailed response (and your time).

I noticed, if anyone's interested, that their web site page -- http://www.tiresafeguard.com/index.htm -- lists an additional discount (for an unspecified duration) from $169 down to $152, if you call them on the telephone.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
OK Bill...I have a link to the same base that I used (ironically...it's on Amazon)...but you can find it lots of other places.

And I'm also including a picture of it on my bike.

Here's the link:

Hope this helps.

Wally

Attachments

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yep, I follow you. I have a lot of RAM pieces, but not that one. Thanks for the link and pic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Marlake,
My brother had those tire pressure valves on his bike and got rid of them. 2 reasons: 1) On a long ride, we check pressure every 2 days. He didn't, of course, depending on the valves to give him a heads up. I should add that he pulls a trailer. One day, as the rest of us were checking our tires, he decided to check his, as his bike seemed a bit squirrelly at the front end. Front was down 4lbs and rear was down 3! He pulled them off, ASAP! 2) A couple years ago, there was a thread on a scooter site where the lady that had these valves on her scoot had a front tire blow out at 60+. The problem was traced to the valve, whether being hit by debris (they stick out there a good bit) or just was not screwed on tightly or just plain failure??

IMHO, get yourself the best tire gauge you can afford and keep them at recommended pressures. I also believe that many of the problems with tire mileage can be traced back to not taking the time to check pressure on a regular basis. Just do it!
Jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
RideOn sells a very simple inexpensive and, based on my experience, dependable system.
It consists of two valve caps that contain a pressure monitor. If you inflate your tire to lets say 40#, the caps will set themselves to that pressure and at a loss of 10 percent (4#) an l.e.d.in the top of the cap will blink continuously until the situation is corrected.
Makes it very easy and the easier it is the more likely your tires will be inflated properly for a safe enjoyable ride.
Just another option to consider.

After reading this post I checked these out.....once my post Christmas finances come back around ALL my bikes are getting these. $35 per bike......simple solution that sounds effective.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thought to consider. If you set it at 40lbs, 10 percent is 4lbs before you get a warning! Unacceptable in my book! Those tires are the only things keeping your 2wheeler and you off the road. 3 to 4 lbs down increases heat and wear as the tire flexes more. Keep them at recommended pressures and they will give the best performance and total mileage they can possibly give. Under inflate them and you get what you deserve. Such is life. Your choice. Happy New Year to all!
Jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thought to consider. If you set it at 40lbs, 10 percent is 4lbs before you get a warning! Unacceptable in my book! Those tires are the only things keeping your 2wheeler and you off the road. 3 to 4 lbs down increases heat and wear as the tire flexes more. Keep them at recommended pressures and they will give the best performance and total mileage they can possibly give. Under inflate them and you get what you deserve. Such is life. Your choice. Happy New Year to all!
Jim
I read the review of the TPMS systems mentioned in the first post. They range from 12.5% to 15% loss before they indicate.

Sounds like your not going to be happy with any TPMS system - stick to your gauge and daily pre-ride checks.

Me.....4lbs is plenty good enough.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts