Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cross Country
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question that I looked and didn't really find an answer.
Are all the Stock 106 engines built the same with the same cams, gearing, mounts, etc?. or were some engines factory built "hotter". Maybe the tune flash was different?

Reactions: nomadsmg

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Have a question that I looked and didn't really find an answer.
Are all the Stock 106 engines built the same with the same cams, gearing, mounts, etc?. or were some engines factory built "hotter". Maybe the tune flash was different?
I think the steel frame Vic's are geared and tuned a little different than the cast frame bikes. Don't hold me to that but I think I remember reading that somewhere.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,698 Posts
I read they have different length shafts coming out the engine because steel frame and cross bikes use different pulleys.
That was on Facebook so who knows if it's accurate but makes sense to fit different frames.

Outside of that they should be physically same (keeps production cost down). Polaris has a crapton of varying tunes for no clear reason. This applies to both Victory and Indian.
The tune runs the engine so it really wouldn't matter if the engine changes and using same ECU it should run same. IMO.
Of course all engines breathe differently even when engineered the same. The generic tune should still run fine I think.

The different tunes might make some bikes run hotter. The factory tune on my stock 2012 CCT is expecting way more air than what it's actually getting on stock air filter. So it was having to constantly trim fuel. It was running pretty dang toasty too.

Now with a little basic tuning. I'm running a Lloyd's with pretty much same AFR targets and it runs about 20 degrees cooler on a hot day. Not bad for mostly DIY tinkering. When it's not forcing itself to run leaner it runs cooler. Funny how that works.

Reactions: nomadsmg

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
stay away from ones built late friday or early monday morning....midweek are best.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,698 Posts
stay away from ones built late friday or early monday morning....midweek are best.
Haha yes.
Those are the ones that have the self destruct transmission. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
What changed on the106-cubic-inch Freedom V-Twin Engine with 6 speed transmission over the years and models from 2010 to 2017? Planning out an old 106 to newer 106 Engine Swap.

With over 140,000 hard miles on my 2012 Cross Country here in southern California, I’m starting to look at refreshing my Cross Country and High on the list is replacing the engine with a far lower miles Engine and Transmission. Here in SoCal my local Victory rebuild options are very limited and I’m also starting to suspect I have some transmission issues (pops out of 3rd / 4th and some scary occasional internal noises), so a low mileage Engine/Transmission may be the best choices. Plus this refresh will also include possibly dropping in some Lloyds 501 Cams, at least a Maximus Tune (with remote tune by a Premier Victory Tuner) replacing my old Power Commander 5. Keeping the Lloyds High Flow Filter, Fuel Tank Lift and probably the DD exhaust Slip On’s, much will depend on my final limited budget, to include the cost of the replacement Engine and Labor at San Diego Indian (some Tech’s are from the former San Diego Victory, have a Excellent Victory Service reputation and including their GM still ride Victory’s themselves).

My understanding was my 2012 Cross Country had a slightly improved transmission over the 2011, but was this actually a fact? I do know the last time I replaced the Shift Rachet, the new Shift Rachet no longer needed the extra oil change washer to stop that shifter slop.

Are there other Differences say between the 106 Freedom Engine/Transmission in the Vision, Cross Country, 8 Ball, etc over the years or are they all the same without any change or differences? Can I safely swap a 2016 Judge powertrain into my 2012 Cross Country without a problem or modification?

Any issues with a non-California 106 Engine replacing my California Emissions 106 Engine that I should be aware of? How about with the planned Maximus Tune?

Come on Folks, please educate me/us on anything that may have changed or might impact a Freedom 106 engine swap. Any experiences/knowledge that might smooth the way and prevent a preventable mistake would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and let the comments/education hopefully begin.

·
Registered
337 Posts
What changed on the106-cubic-inch Freedom V-Twin Engine with 6 speed transmission over the years and models from 2010 to 2017? Planning out an old 106 to newer 106 Engine Swap.

With over 140,000 hard miles on my 2012 Cross Country here in southern California, I’m starting to look at refreshing my Cross Country and High on the list is replacing the engine with a far lower miles Engine and Transmission. Here in SoCal my local Victory rebuild options are very limited and I’m also starting to suspect I have some transmission issues (pops out of 3rd / 4th and some scary occasional internal noises), so a low mileage Engine/Transmission may be the best choices. Plus this refresh will also include possibly dropping in some Lloyds 501 Cams, at least a Maximus Tune (with remote tune by a Premier Victory Tuner) replacing my old Power Commander 5. Keeping the Lloyds High Flow Filter, Fuel Tank Lift and probably the DD exhaust Slip On’s, much will depend on my final limited budget, to include the cost of the replacement Engine and Labor at San Diego Indian (some Tech’s are from the former San Diego Victory, have a Excellent Victory Service reputation and including their GM still ride Victory’s themselves).

My understanding was my 2012 Cross Country had a slightly improved transmission over the 2011, but was this actually a fact? I do know the last time I replaced the Shift Rachet, the new Shift Rachet no longer needed the extra oil change washer to stop that shifter slop.

Are there other Differences say between the 106 Freedom Engine/Transmission in the Vision, Cross Country, 8 Ball, etc over the years or are they all the same without any change or differences? Can I safely swap a 2016 Judge powertrain into my 2012 Cross Country without a problem or modification?

Any issues with a non-California 106 Engine replacing my California Emissions 106 Engine that I should be aware of? How about with the planned Maximus Tune?

Come on Folks, please educate me/us on anything that may have changed or might impact a Freedom 106 engine swap. Any experiences/knowledge that might smooth the way and prevent a preventable mistake would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and let the comments/education hopefully begin.
Pretty sure narrow tire steel frame motors are the same as Cross Country, wide tire steel frames have different output shafts. As far as years I think it's easiest to keep it 2015 and older, 2016 they changed the O2 sensors. Also I was under the impression the Judge was only produced 2013&2014....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts