Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since 'the deed' things have certainly changed. My burgeoning VicWrapz business WAS going to rely upon things like a robust dealer network that could endorse me - clearly, that's gone now but what about the other Victory initiative, their Police Bike line? Lots of Municipalities must have bought into that before it went tits-up but what happened to them after the announcement, did they all suddenly swap inventory for the more ubiquitous Harley? I remember reading one article where Daytona Beach, specifically, had just bought a whole Victory fleet in 2016, however many bikes that was, mere months before Polaris bent them over. I could imagine that any town caught in that scenario would dump Victory IMMEDIATELY and never again look past Harley, but also that they'd be so embarrassed that the switch-back would get very little press. I Googled "Victory Police Motorcycles" yesterday to see if I could find anybody who would admit to still using them and was unsuccessful. Even websites specifically devoted to that subject are now defunct. It's like it never happened.

My interest in finding them is to see if they need graphics, in particular, TRIBUTE graphics for a parade or theme bike like I did for the Ohio Thin Blue Line Bike. Does anyone know of a database of municipalities that may own these bikes? I'd sure like to drop their marketing or public relations departments a note.

Ohio Thin Blue Line Tribute Bike:

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Yea, Polaris rear ended a lot of people didn't they. Anyway, the graphics on your Ohio Fallen Officers tribute bike look great. Congratulations on a fine job. I'd 'guess' that as soon as the departments can/could move on from Victory they either already did or they will asap. Depending somewhat on their funding and budgeting cycle. Not sure how many Police departments would want to put their trust in Polaris to have parts available since the entire Victory line got killed off.

Wouldn't it be just like the nitwits at Polaris to come out with a Polaris Indian set up for Police duty? And then send their sales reps out to enthusiastically shop it around the country.

Here's a possible Polaris Indian PD Marketing plan:

"We're Polaris Indian, an American icon since 1901. We just know your Motor Officers would command more respect on either of our new Polaris Indian PD (Police Duty) models. Check out the all new Polaris Indian Springfield PD and the all new Polaris Indian Chieftain PD. We look forward to serving you as you serve your community. We're Polaris Indian, a company you can trust and depend on. Call us today at 1-800-foo-lyou"

Note to the Polaris Indian PD Sales team: Rule 1 - Don't EVER bring up the Victory Police bikes. Rule 2 - Failure to adhere to Rule 1 will result in immediate termination.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Motor officers are hard on their bikes racking up miles like crazy. Very few have a bike very long. Seems like the guys I know never go longer than two years before getting a whole new bike. Some of those that work extra jobs on them will go through a motor and/or trans each year.

While I know Vics run and run I don't think many departments are going to push them past their normal transition time and will largely go back to HD.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Seems like the guys I know never go longer than two years before getting a whole new bike.
I had no idea police bikes were turned over so frequently. I'd expect that more in larger cities and less in the Mayberries of the world. The small towns of Cape Cod for instance seem to have a bike or two each - none of them Victory.

I got an interesting callback from a nice guy named Steve late yesterday. Steve runs an expansive site called The History of Motorcycle Law Enforcement Motor Units that covers the history of motorcycles in police work and has a section on Victory. Steve was very interested in hearing what I was doing with the tribute bikes and graciously offered to pass my info along to appropriate contacts. I feel it's only fair to give him some exposure as well. His site seems to run off donations so anything we do to share and expose it to the masses can't hurt. Steve is not a "Victory guy" just a motorcycle guy with special interest in law enforcement uses, so his opinions are biased on how a bike fits toward that end.

In our phone conversation about Victory's demise, his feeling was it wasn't ever going to replace Harley's grip on that segment. The one specific he cited was too large a turning radius compared to Harley police bikes, like over a foot more. That was news to me, and doubled when he said that initial trials by certain departments (who's name I forgot) were revealing the same disadvantage for current Indian motor units. Frankly that sounds like Harley KoolAde but I was not able to dispute it when I Googled around this morning. In a game where inches could matter, being able to make U-turns in one-pass on narrower side streets could be a dealbreaker I suppose, despite other advantages Victory may have had. You'd think going out of business on Law Enforcement had to be the ultimate betrayal of trust but Steve also shared that multiple agencies (Daytona for one, who had bought into Victory's Police Bike program) are now trying to figure out how to sue for breach of service contracts they are still paying on, for bikes that cannot get repairs. What a freakin mess!

Anyway, this place is worth a real good look: From PoliceMotorUnits.com:

Victory 2007 "Enforcer" Police Unit - 100 cu in - 6 speed - 89 hp 104 ft./lbs torque:

Victory 2011 "Commander" Series Police Unit - 106 cu in - 6 speed - 92 hp 109 ft./lbs torque:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had no idea police bikes were turned over so frequently. I'd expect that more in larger cities and less in the Mayberries of the world. The small towns of Cape Cod for instance seem to have a bike or two each - none of them Victory.

I got an interesting callback from a nice guy named Steve late yesterday. Steve runs an expansive site called The History of Motorcycle Law Enforcement Motor Units that covers the history of motorcycles in police work and has a section on Victory. Steve was very interested in hearing what I was doing with the tribute bikes and graciously offered to pass my info along to appropriate contacts. I feel it's only fair to give him some exposure as well. His site seems to run off donations so anything we do to share and expose it to the masses can't hurt. Steve is not a "Victory guy" just a motorcycle guy with special interest in law enforcement uses, so his opinions are biased on how a bike fits toward that end.

In our phone conversation about Victory's demise, his feeling was it wasn't ever going to replace Harley's grip on that segment. The one specific he cited was too large a turning radius compared to Harley police bikes, like over a foot more. That was news to me, and doubled when he said that initial trials by certain departments (who's name I forgot) were revealing the same disadvantage for current Indian motor units. Frankly that sounds like Harley KoolAde but I was not able to dispute it when I Googled around this morning. In a game where inches could matter, being able to make U-turns in one-pass on narrower side streets could be a dealbreaker I suppose, despite other advantages Victory may have had. You'd think going out of business on Law Enforcement had to be the ultimate betrayal of trust but Steve also shared that multiple agencies (Daytona for one, who had bought into Victory's Police Bike program) are now trying to figure out how to sue for breach of service contracts they are still paying on, for bikes that cannot get repairs. What a freakin mess!

Anyway, this place is worth a real good look: From PoliceMotorUnits.com:

Victory 2007 "Enforcer" Police Unit - 100 cu in - 6 speed - 89 hp 104 ft./lbs torque:

Victory 2011 "Commander" Series Police Unit - 106 cu in - 6 speed - 92 hp 109 ft./lbs torque:

He is correct. The HD does a tighter circle and many of the cone patterns used in the past had to be expanded to allow bikes like the Wing to be able to complete it. This of course then made the course much easier on a HD because they now had more room while the Wing had just enough.

You are also correct in the fact smaller departments will be able to keep a bike or car in service longer than large cities.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
I call BS on the turning radius. Check this out
I don't understand why. Not by that video. Nobody said the Vics don't turn tight, because they do.....for their size. A Road King though turns tighter. If you lay out a HD specific cone course and try to run it on a Wing or Vic there are going to be parts you just can not pass because you don't have enough room.

The cone course in my police motors course was Wing approved. That gave me extra room when the Wing had just enough. It is similar to the Vic. All three handle well and can pass an appropriate sized cone course but out of the three the HD will be able to do the tighter course.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be the first to admit I don't trust myself doing U-turns or any slow speed maneuvers after dropping a 'nice' bike before. I'd never want to scrape up my baby. I don't even want to practice it on my own bike. I'd be more than happy to risk someone else's bike though if there are any volunteers :)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I'll be the first to admit I don't trust myself doing U-turns or any slow speed maneuvers after dropping a 'nice' bike before. I'd never want to scrape up my baby. I don't even want to practice it on my own bike. I'd be more than happy to risk someone else's bike though if there are any volunteers :)
Yup. I am right there with ya. Slow speed a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g scares the be-jesus out of me. Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I am super-cautious when it comes to the slow speed stuff. I am sure that will change over time.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ric, I am pretty sure that the ride-like-a-pro course would entail finding my big bike's limits or should I say my limit - that limit being the point where you drop the damn thing. That's what I don't want to do even by accident, much less on purpose. I already know my limits WITHOUT dropping it, and I get around fine in most situations both solo and 2-up without needing to press my luck. My training has told me when you're not sure of your skill level BACK OFF and let other riders go ahead at a faster pace. Not that I'm all that bad, but if there's the slightest doubt in my mind I can complete a U-turn without going off-pavement or hitting a curb then I'll just straighten up and make it into a 3-pointer with nobody getting hurt except my ego a little. I'm not too sad though, for only being in this sport 6 years and never having had the benefit of owning lighter, smaller, beater bikes to learn such fine-points, I think I'm doing pretty fair. Now if I had a second bike which had already been battered to the state where a few more drops wouldn't be noticed, well I'd be more than game to give her hell. Till then I'll have to continue being just a tad more cautious than my superiors. I'm OK with that.

·
13,262 Posts
I'm just not strong enough to do those you turns on the vision. I do look for parking lots or whatever to make it easy for me. Maybe the real reason I don't do you turns in the lack of confidence

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
You two have put blinders on. I too have difficulty with U-turns, but watching those videos from time to time reminds me to maintain a 1500 rpm throttle, use the clutch friction zone, very lightly touch the rear brake and turn my head and eyes to look where I want the bike to be. That last one being the most crucial. I use that when working the twisties and it has made a better rider out of this old coot. I watch those videos and got that DVD because, like you, I want to control my bike and not drop it. Fair enough?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I watch those videos and got that DVD because, like you, I want to control my bike and not drop it. Fair enough?
I guess I'm like "Old Flat-top" in the Beatles song - I'm groovin' up on it "slow-lie" - getting my nerve up gradually over the years.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Try it, you won't believe how it increases your confidence. In over 65 years of riding, I have learned that the more I know how to control my bike, the more fun riding becomes. Unless you find that being afraid is fun, give it a try.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I'm just not strong enough to do those you turns on the vision. I do look for parking lots or whatever to make it easy for me. Maybe the real reason I don't do you turns in the lack of confidence
The above 4 steps require absolutely no strength other than using neck muscles to turn your head - got em?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ricz dude you so win - you've been riding longer than I've been alive. Just barely, but damn that's impressive. I wouldn't call myself afraid, and I have been trying the tactics but only a little at a time. Like I said, only willing to push things so far with my paintjob at risk. They should make some kind of bolt-on 'practice bars' like training wheels that'll allow your bike to literally fall over and slide without any permanent damage.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
id-man, now you're talking sense. Hey, I'm there too, scared sh1tless of making that too tight turn and dropping it, so I practice and tighten the turns a bit at a time as my confidence increases a bit at a time. I know what I have to do, but the anxiety gets the best of me. Let's work on this together and when we got it nailed (if ever) our favorite sandwich makers can take video and we'll post it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If I couldn't do any u turn required I would never load my wife two up.

It all boils down to being able to do a tight circle. Once you learn that the bike goes where you look and that the bike can do far more than you a tight circle will come easily. Once you can do a tight circle a u turn happens naturally.

Ride Like a Pro would be a great option to learn it but even a buddy that can do it and some tennis ball halves could get you there. Anybody can ride a motorcycle fast it's the slow stuff that is difficult. A u turn takes little effort once learned.

If you're worried about dropping your bike you can wrap your motor guard with a cheap water hose secured with duct tape. Take your bags off to protect them and go to training in a big parking lot. I dropped my Road King a ton during my police course that I took with just around a year of riding experience. It was the best thing I ever did.

As to the Vision it is designed to fall. Trust the tip overs. Once you use them dropping it again is less of a fear. My bike has been stopped several times. Many of those I probably could have saved it with maximum muscle effort but I simply didn't because I knew the bike would hold up better than me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts