Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
No, lack of ear plug use is responsible for hearing lose.IMHO
I completely agree with you, Tarzan. That article the link gets you to is further proof anyone can put anything on the Internet.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wind noise with or without a helmet is damaging, so I wear earplugs. No worries.

I'd rather be 65 with ringing in my ears than 45 in a coma or casket due to not wearing a helmet.

But since I wear earplugs, I don't have to make that choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I completely agree with you, Tarzan. That article the link gets you to is further proof anyone can put anything on the Internet.
What are you trying to say here? That the author is wrong to reference a peer reviewed scientific study? Or that the author is an idiot because he doesnt agree with you?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wind noise with or without a helmet is damaging, so I wear earplugs. No worries.

I'd rather be 65 with ringing in my ears than 45 in a coma or casket due to not wearing a helmet.

But since I wear earplugs, I don't have to make that choice.
You should really stop saying 'Wind noise is damaging' as if it's that simple. Wind noise is POTENTIALLY damaging, based on how fast you are driving. You can drive along all day at 30 MPH and your ears will be fine. You can drive for 30 minutes at 65 MPH and be fine. But driving for a few hours at 75 MPH puts your hearing at risk. The faster you ride, the shorter the riding time that's safe. Is that really so hard to be honest about?

There's a nice chart here that people should check out: http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm

·
Registered
782 Posts
You should really stop saying 'Wind noise is damaging' as if it's that simple. Wind noise is POTENTIALLY damaging, based on how fast you are driving. You can drive along all day at 30 MPH and your ears will be fine. You can drive for 30 minutes at 65 MPH and be fine. But driving for a few hours at 75 MPH puts your hearing at risk. The faster you ride, the shorter the riding time that's safe. Is that really so hard to be honest about?

There's a nice chart here that people should check out: http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm
You're so right.

Driving into a brick wall at 55mph is POTENTIALLY damaging. Some have walked away, so it's not an absolute.

Though common sense would dictate... meh, nevermind. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The blog article is a half-truth.

It states only one position: Wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle can contribute to hearing loss.

What it doesn't do is:

- Test wind noise on an actual motorcycle. The tests were done in a wind tunnel
- Test wind noise without a helmet on and compare with a helmet on
- Mention anything about (much less test) wearing hearing protection aside from "helmet manufacturers [...] design quieter helmets"

I don't think any reasonable person would suggest that motorcycle riders shouldn't wear helmets.

As to the chart linked to in a previous post, it's on a page offering "Mobile Hearing Test" services. The journal referenced in the blog post you linked to may be independent, but the same can't be said for the providers of that chart.

I, for one, would wonder at the point and purpose of posting such an article. In and of itself it's interesting, but without the comparative tests above, the data is practically useless beyond "maybe they can make helmets quieter". Show me that helmets are louder and cause more ear damage than not wearing a helmet and you would have my attention. Regardless, earplugs are certainly recommended, and I do use them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The blog article is a half-truth.

It states only one position: Wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle can contribute to hearing loss.

What it doesn't do is:

- Test wind noise on an actual motorcycle. The tests were done in a wind tunnel
- Test wind noise without a helmet on and compare with a helmet on
- Mention anything about (much less test) wearing hearing protection aside from "helmet manufacturers [...] design quieter helmets"

I don't think any reasonable person would suggest that motorcycle riders shouldn't wear helmets.

As to the chart linked to in a previous post, it's on a page offering "Mobile Hearing Test" services. The journal referenced in the blog post you linked to may be independent, but the same can't be said for the providers of that chart.

I, for one, would wonder at the point and purpose of posting such an article. In and of itself it's interesting, but without the comparative tests above, the data is practically useless beyond "maybe they can make helmets quieter". Show me that helmets are louder and cause more ear damage than not wearing a helmet and you would have my attention. Regardless, earplugs are certainly recommended, and I do use them.
Earplugs are definitely a good idea if you're going to exceed 40 MPH. I dont know that they should be recommended below that speed though. You are still deadening your senses, and at low speeds it's not necessary to protect from the wind noise.

This is one of the things that bug me about every one of Bandit's posts. He's absolutely incapable of identifying that not every rider is exactly the same as him. Some people dont have loud pipes, and some people ride back roads all day without hitting the highway. For that kind of riding it's flat our wrong to say that wind noise will damage your hearing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There many variables here, as we are all aware, and any conclusive statement needs to take all factors into account. Just off the top of my head and mentioned here:

- Helmet or no
- Type of helmet (full/flip/three-quarter/half)
- Earplugs or no
- Loudness of pipes
- Riding speed
- Riding environment (highway/city/backroads, etc)
- Duration of exposure

Generalizing with only one or two data points would result in largely inaccurate conclusions in any case with this many variables.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I can add two more variables to Lo-Dawg's reply....
1. Different helmets have different noise attenuation. I have a 3/4 that all but eliminates the higher frequency gear noises. I also have a full face modular that amplifies them. Many years ago, I had a full face Bell helmet that amplified all sounds so loudly that I had to get rid of it - no ear plug at that time would help.
2. Each different bike affects the wind differently.
Therefore, unless the blogger conducted those tests utilizing a large variety of helmets and bikes at varying speeds, the findings are highly questionable. To respond to ChromeWeasel's accusation, it appears to me that the blogger did not take many variables into account - as Lo-Dawg and I have indicated - and posted a flawed "study."

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can add two more variables to Lo-Dawg's reply....
1. Different helmets have different noise attenuation. I have a 3/4 that all but eliminates the higher frequency gear noises. I also have a full face modular that amplifies them. Many years ago, I had a full face Bell helmet that amplified all sounds so loudly that I had to get rid of it - no ear plug at that time would help.
2. Each different bike affects the wind differently.
Therefore, unless the blogger conducted those tests utilizing a large variety of helmets and bikes at varying speeds, the findings are highly questionable. To respond to ChromeWeasel's accusation, it appears to me that the blogger did not take many variables into account - as Lo-Dawg and I have indicated - and posted a flawed "study."
The blogger didnt conduct any tests. He just linked to the peer-reviewed studies done by the Acoustical Society of America. Also, tests were run on multiple helmets. I'm not sure whether you are intentionally misrepresenting the studies to make your own point more reasonable, or you just never followed the links.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The blogger didnt conduct any tests. He just linked to the peer-reviewed studies done by the Acoustical Society of America. Also, tests were run on multiple helmets. I'm not sure whether you are intentionally misrepresenting the studies to make your own point more reasonable, or you just never followed the links.
Chemo induced short memory. :crzy:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The blogger didnt conduct any tests. He just linked to the peer-reviewed studies done by the Acoustical Society of America.
The fact that the blogger didn't conduct the tests does not make the blogger's conclusions any less of a half-truth.

Also, tests were run on multiple helmets.
In the one record that I could find a reference to the number of helmets tested (http://asadl.org/poma/resource/1/pmarcw/v12/i1/p040001_s1?bypassSSO=1), only two helmets were tested. On page 2 of the record, section 1, last paragraph:

In research reported here, insertion loss measurements of two different motorcycle helmets are made.
I would submit that two helmets is not enough of a sample to be making any conclusive statements.

Also, they don't mention what helmets were tested, making reproduction of the tests impossible. Section 2, page 3, second paragraph:

The helmets used in this investigation were taken from a series of helmets provided by manufacturers for noise investigations. As such, the make and model are covered by a confidentiality agreement. Both helmets are commercially available extra large (XL) motorcycle helmets the dimensions of which were 26cm × 25cm × 36cm.
I'm not sure whether you are intentionally misrepresenting the studies to make your own point more reasonable, or you just never followed the links.
Throwing out accusations based on assumptions about other people's assumptions is no way to win people to your way of thinking.

·
Registered
782 Posts
This is one of the things that bug me about every one of Bandit's posts. He's absolutely incapable of identifying that not every rider is exactly the same as him. Some people dont have loud pipes, and some people ride back roads all day without hitting the highway. For that kind of riding it's flat our wrong to say that wind noise will damage your hearing.

Because I don't feel the need to quantify each and every statement by over explaining the obvious.

No, if you're riding under highway speeds, you don't need plugs. I apologize for making assumptions that you'd already know this.

I tend to talk as if I'm speaking to people of equal intelligence and a degree of common sense. If you'd prefer, I can add 5 minutes to every post I make and exclude any irrational possible argument in order to satisfy you.

Just like I'd say "I cranked up my bike and took off" I don't think I'd have to actually type out omitted steps like "I used my key to start my bike, then folded up my kickstand". These are natural assumptions based on a degree of common sense that most riders should posesses.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Because I don't feel the need to quantify each and every statement by over explaining the obvious.

No, if you're riding under highway speeds, you don't need plugs. I apologize for making assumptions that you'd already know this.

I tend to talk as if I'm speaking to people of equal intelligence and a degree of common sense. If you'd prefer, I can add 5 minutes to every post I make and exclude any irrational possible argument in order to satisfy you.

Just like I'd say "I cranked up my bike and took off" I don't think I'd have to actually type out omitted steps like "I used my key to start my bike, then folded up my kickstand". These are natural assumptions based on a degree of common sense that most riders should posesses.
Since you asked, I'd honestly prefer that you when you offer people advice on how to ride, that you do so accurately. I dont know why you think that needs to take 5 minutes every post. I already showed you earlier in the thread the right way to suggest that wind noise can put your hearing at risk.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Since you asked, I'd honestly prefer that you when you offer people advice on how to ride, that you do so accurately. I dont know why you think that needs to take 5 minutes every post. I already showed you earlier in the thread the right way to suggest that wind noise can put your hearing at risk.
Not just a wee bit self righteous are we ChromeWeasel? Calm down, no one is calling your baby ugly. :not worthy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts