Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had planned on the spiked Avon billet grips but came across these on Amazon for half the price $24.99.......too cheap? I definitely don't want to skimp on anything with my bike but this looked tempting. Any thoughts/opinions guys? These kind of look like the kuryakyn grips with stiletto end caps......just needed some opinions :confused:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that's true.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the best method for changing grips? Any tips would be helpful.

·
13,188 Posts
Cut the one off the left and UNbolt the one on the right.
You best buy a shop manual you'll need it in the coming projects

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm working on getting the service manual up on an FTP server (for a while now). Just having a hard time getting the scan quality up to par for the pics. I'll post up when it's done for ya.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot king!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Based on what I"m seeing, they're likely Chinese knock offs. I would get the Avons. If you need to change them out once, you're already only breaking even with the cheap ones. The chrome and rubber are likely crap.

I always say "I'm too poor to be cheap". Buy right the first time.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
Based on what I"m seeing, they're likely Chinese knock offs. I would get the Avons. If you need to change them out once, you're already only breaking even with the cheap ones. The chrome and rubber are likely crap.

I always say "I'm too poor to be cheap". Buy right the first time.
I agree. Save your money and get the good ones. These cheapy's will probably turn your hands black and the chrome will probably start flaking way too soon.

The better quality Avon's or Kury's will feel better in your hands. I like the feel of Renthal rubber personally.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my fiancé ordered the Avons for me last night for fathers day! :) The best thing is......we don't have kids! Hahaha. I guess our dogs count as children though. This woman is amazing, really!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had planned on the spiked Avon billet grips but came across these on Amazon for half the price $24.99.......too cheap? I definitely don't want to skimp on anything with my bike but this looked tempting. Any thoughts/opinions guys? These kind of look like the kuryakyn grips with stiletto end caps......just needed some opinions :confused:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Handlebar-Cruisers-Choppers-Davidson/dp/B003A6SL1G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_7
FWIW, I have Avon heated grips like that. The quality seems good, and they look nice. And I got them at a great price at around $125. But they aren't too comfortable. They are solid rubber that doesnt have much give. The heat comes in handy here and there, but only the metal heats up anyway. Overall the Kuryakyn ISO grips are still really good. I had those on my last bike and they have a much softer cushion. And they aren't too expensive either. Plus you can add a throttle lock if you want, and choose from the Throttle-boss endcap, the pointy ends, or helmet mounts with the ISO grips.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Avon spikes it is! I agree with you though, the ISO grips are comfy, I had them on my last 8 ball.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Avon grips shipped yesterday!! Super excited to get them in!

Where do I get a service manual for my bike? Online or from my dealer? Is it a lot different from the owners manual? Sorry about the noob question.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's great Adam! Let us know how they work for ya. I'm undecided between the Avons and Kuryakyn(sp?).

If you don't want to wait for me to get my act together for the manual (I know its taking FOREVER), you can get it on eBay for 50 bucks. It's very different from the owner's manual. It's pretty good size, very in depth and great quality.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For $50 I can wait! Haha.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I guess I could press the warranty issue and get another pair, but honestly more headache than it is worth. I'm changing my bars, controls, switch cubes, and cables in a few weeks and decided to to get the solid billet spike raptor grips from dlx prodox. They cost, but man are they sweet.
BTW the only thing billet on the avons are the end caps. The rest is plastic.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really?!? Oh man, I wish I would have known that! Damnit!!!! My fault for not researching enough I guess.
:(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts