Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone wants to buy 90hp cruisers and then want 300hp out of them, that's just the way us guys are. I'm done spending money on go fast parts, i would have kept my sport bike if i needed speed.

However, i do want my bike to breath and get rid of the sewing machine sound.

Looks like the popular thing to do is D&D, VFC and Lloyds filter. While that isn't out of the question, i'm just curious as to see who all has bought Stage 1 and stuck with it, and if you got rid of it, why?

My main reason to go with Stage 1 over the popular vote, is even with my sport bike(which was retarded loud), I like to travel. I don't want anything that is gonna resonate in my helmet on a cross state Saturday trip, or over power my stereo.

I wanna pull the trigger on it soon so that I'm ready for spring. Just thought i'd see if anyone bought Stage 1 and stuck with it the whole time.. cheers

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I installed the swept stage 1 exhaust from Victory which comes with new filter and a tune. It's really not much louder than stock...until you hammer it but even then it's still not too loud. I love the looks but was somewhat dissappointed at first that it wasn't loud. The more I ride it the happier I am with it because I can have a conversation with my wife while riding and I don't get any complaints from my nieghbors like I did with my old 750 honda with straight pipes. I have no plans on ever removing them for other pipes.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I went from stock to the D&D. For my taste, the D&D were too loud, must be getting old. I did a 600 mile day with them and it was just too much.

I sold them and bought some used stage 1's. From the seat, they're hardly distinguishable from the stock, but I think they sound better when someone rides it past me. I don't know if there is much of a performance benefit, but there is some.

I'm going to keep these until I hear something I like on a bike. Then I have to try to ride it. The pipes sound different from the saddle to the sidewalk. Sound is so subjective, what's too loud for me, others may think is too quiet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havent rode a bike with the stage 1 on the bike, but I was at a demo ride last year when a guy took off demoing a cross country and from 40 feet away, it sounded loud enough to me as he rode off. I think they were the tri-oval pipes though. Not sure if there is any difference other then ugly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
I havent rode a bike with the stage 1 on the bike, but I was at a demo ride last year when a guy took off demoing a cross country and from 40 feet away, it sounded loud enough to me as he rode off. I think they were the tri-oval pipes though. Not sure if there is any difference other then ugly.
That there is funny. I don't care who says otherwise. :D

The Tri-Oval are louder than the standard stage 1 muffs and there is some confusion on whether or not it fits years earlier than 2013. I don't know why. I don't know of any changes in that area or to the motor.

I've been running the Stage 1 muffs on my XC for quite a while now. I know they sound good to someone you might pass on the highway but they are a bit too quiet as is so I cut a few inches off the end pipe and now they are much better. The end caps act like a resonator. In fact the resonators sold at the auto parts stores that are the right diameter would probably give them an even better sound and a more custom look. Something to think about anyway.

The stage 1 muffs on my KP are much louder which is fine because that one is my hot rod. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I like my stage 1 exhaust. Gave me a little rumble but not obnoxious, passenger likes them also. Then added Witch Doctor exhaust tips and trimmed exhaust pipe straight instead of slashed. They really resonate on acceleration and rumble when cruising. Will add Lloyd's air filter later. I also read on forum that someone had remove a rubber strip from around air intake which will allow bike to breath better. Hoping both of these will create more low rpm torque.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
I like my stage 1 exhaust too. It's a bit quiet, but there is no popping. Maybe I'll try cutting some of the end off. How much BOB?
I cut 3" off but I should have cut 1" at a time to dial it in a little better. Who knows; I might have liked it better with just 2" cut off.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have the Stage 1 flash and pipes. I like the low rumble on the highway and yes they are a bit on the quiet side. Especially next to my wife's HD with V&H single pipe. My dealer,told me the stage 1 is even a bit louder with the big mouth tips compared to the stock oval tips. I might try cutting off an inch or two off the end. Do you really think that made them louder?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Quite happy with my choice for Stage 1 .. Did a lot of Searching around and Checking before spending the money to do this .. Ended up going with Lloyds Filter, Freedom Performance True Duals, Tuned in with a Power Commander V ..

Some Say the True Duals Stick Out Too Far but That is Really the Least of my Worries here's the Real Reason Went this Route .. Not to mention that this is the best sounding Cross Bike ever heard yet so far as well ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine came with a Stage 1 kit installed when I bought it used from the dealer. Not sure what pipes are on it though, as I have no internal muffle tips that I can see. I believe they are the Ness Big Honkers. They sound great. You can hear a nice rumble from them at idle and cruise, but have a nasty bark when you get on it. Have no plans on changing them except for the tips. Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I know everyone wants to buy 90hp cruisers and then want 300hp out of them, that's just the way us guys are. I'm done spending money on go fast parts, i would have kept my sport bike if i needed speed.

However, i do want my bike to breath and get rid of the sewing machine sound.

Looks like the popular thing to do is D&D, VFC and Lloyds filter. While that isn't out of the question, i'm just curious as to see who all has bought Stage 1 and stuck with it, and if you got rid of it, why?

My main reason to go with Stage 1 over the popular vote, is even with my sport bike(which was retarded loud), I like to travel. I don't want anything that is gonna resonate in my helmet on a cross state Saturday trip, or over power my stereo.

I wanna pull the trigger on it soon so that I'm ready for spring. Just thought i'd see if anyone bought Stage 1 and stuck with it the whole time.. cheers
I have the Stage 1. It has precise fueling, a little grumble without being annoying, and adds a fair amount of power everywhere except WFO. It does not pop, does not die when I blip the throttle, and has a nice linear power output. I typically ride with headphones and listen to music and the engine sound does not interfere with it.

Yes, it's overpriced on a pure performance basis, but it works superbly in the real world.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Im heading to Chicago this weekend for IMS, I wonder if they will fire up a bike with stage 1 for me so I can hear one again?

Sounds like a good way to play with the sound is to try different tips first, then possibly shorting the pipe alittle.

I still think this is the right combo to go with since it will suit my riding style. Damn I'm getting old. To think I will only be 36 in a couple weeks. Lol

Thanks guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been to Chicago IMS several times. I have noticed they require every bike entering the building is drained of at least gas, maybe oil also.
In other words I don't think you're gonna hear it run.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the RPW slip ons with stage 1 down load and they sound great. no popping and at around 3000rpms they have an awesome rumble. I to dont enjoy annoying pipes , so take a look at this setup i think u would love it. thumb up

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I too have been considering going with the stage one. My wife can't stand the Bub's on my Venture so I often swap them out for a stock set of Harley Ultra mufflers when she rides. Even she complains about the stock XCT exhaust sounding like a sewing machine. It sounds like the stage one is something we could both live with (haven't heard them in person). Do dealers discount the stage one kit? Does the price include installation and reprogramming?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been to Chicago IMS several times. I have noticed they require every bike entering the building is drained of at least gas, maybe oil also.
In other words I don't think you're gonna hear it run.
Hmm, didnt know that. I have been there several time too.

Guess I will have to hit up my local dealer when I can. They are in the process of remodeling a section of the store for "Victory Experience".. Great to see a dealer put time and effort into a brand.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like my stage 1 exhaust too. It's a bit quiet, but there is no popping. Maybe I'll try cutting some of the end off. How much BOB?
I have stage 1 with the Vision Gatlin tips.
I had to cut the pipe off almost flush to install the tips.
It made a big difference in sound.
Still quiet in my opinion.
I did notice I got the odd pop on decel.

Between Christmas and New Year had some time and a set of stock mufflers that my service manager gave me.
I gutted them and welded in some Cherry Bombs.
Still no tailpipe.
They are a lot louder but haven't had chance to ride it because of 2 1/2 feet of snow here.
I also installed Lloyd's air filter.
If I get any bad popping I will weld in a tailpipe and put the stock tips on and see if it makes any difference.
What I like most about this is I am only out about $50 and some time, if it doesn't work I still have the Stage 1 pipes.
Can't wait for spring.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the RPW slip ons with stage 1 down load and they sound great. no popping and at around 3000rpms they have an awesome rumble. I to dont enjoy annoying pipes , so take a look at this setup i think u would love it. thumb up

Wasn't there some quality issue's with RPW awhile back? I remember looking into those then read some things that kinda turned me off.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts