Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saying Merry Christmas is now considered racist and offensive.

Well, if you're offended, here's two words for you...

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
784 Posts
Merry Cristmas back to ya.
That is what is celebrated in my house and the PC stuff is really out of hand.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
I am offended when I see "x-mas" (I guess some cannot write "Christ" - must be under demonic possession) or hear "happy holidays" as if we don't know what holiday we're celebrating.

Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Really? I mean come on. Get over it.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My wife is a huge fan of Christmas, it brings out the best in her. But if you say "happy holidays" she will correct you to "Merry Christmas". I totally agree with her, all this tiptoe'ing bullshit that society expects like you can't say this and you can't say that needs to stop, people need to learn my 2 favorite words and that's "f**k off". Lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I have never heard anyone say that the words Merry Christmas are offensive, let alone racist. Tad bit of an exaggeration methinks.

However, telling someone who you know isn't Christian "Merry Christmas" could be construed as disrespectful, just as someone telling you (when they know you are Christian) "Happy Kwanzaa" wouldn't be taken well either. It's all about how you treat other people. Treat them with the same respect with which you expect to be treated.

I give my Jewish friends Chanukah presents, ON Chanukah, I don't give them Christmas presents at Christmas. They, in turn, give Christmas presents to Christians, on Christmas. It's a matter of consideration and respect for each others' traditions and holidays.

I know a whole bunch of Christians who would be whacked out if they got a Kwanzaa present instead of a Christmas present. So why would it be alright the other way around?

There's more than one holiday this time of year, and not everyone celebrates Christmas. It's nice when someone acknowledges YOUR holiday, so be reciprocal and acknowledge theirs too. When you don't know, Happy Holidays covers the bases.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
However, telling someone who you know isn't Christian "Merry Christmas" could be construed as disrespectful, just as someone telling you (when they know you are Christian) "Happy Kwanzaa" wouldn't be taken well either. It's all about how you treat other people. Treat them with the same respect with which you expect to be treated.
Good thing they were not insulted immigrating to a christian country. I didn't go to the middle east, and tell them to stop saying "Allah." ;)

There's more than one holiday this time of year, and not everyone celebrates Christmas. It's nice when someone acknowledges YOUR holiday, so be reciprocal and acknowledge theirs too. When you don't know, Happy Holidays covers the bases.
I like to be nice and correct. But when I am forced with being just one, I choose to be correct.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
How does someone saying 'Happy Holidays' take away your rights? Does it offend you? Why?

Don't you see how the whole "We say Merry Christmas and we don't care who doesn't like it" is quite arrogant... sort of making the assumption that everyone shares your traditions, and if they don't... they should!

When we say "Happy Holidays" it is simply an acknowledgement that we understand not everyone is Christian. It is nothing new, as the classic carols "Happy Holidays" and "Home for the Holidays" attest...

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
How does someone saying 'Happy Holidays' take away your rights? Does it offend you? Why?

Don't you see how the whole "We say Merry Christmas and we don't care who doesn't like it" is quite arrogant... sort of making the assumption that everyone shares your traditions, and if they don't... they should!

When we say "Happy Holidays" it is simply an acknowledgement that we understand not everyone is Christian. It is nothing new, as the classic carols "Happy Holidays" and "Home for the Holidays" attest...
Exactly! cheers

here's an interesting perspective I found online, and I'm quoting (don't know author)

"Frankly, being Jewish by birth, I *do* find it offensive when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas. I'm usually just utter a "Happy Chanukah" in return, utterly confusing whomever addressed me. But there are some who don't take it as well as I do, and they're more than justified for it.

Here you have a holiday in Christmas so mainstream that it's almost thought of as a secular holiday, as the above writeup suggests. The problem is, whatever Hallmark would have you believe about it, it is not a secular holiday. Spreading a little holiday spirit? No. You're spreading a little Christian spirit.

Most Jews would never wish a gentile a Happy Chanukah, and for good reason--it just wouldn't make any sense to do so, seeing how they don't celebrate that particular holiday. Most Christians, on the other hand (label this as a generalization if you must, but it's the truth), don't even think about whether the person they're about to wish a Merry Christmas to celebrates that particular holiday. Therein lies the contradiction. The majority's right to homogenize, I suppose.

And if you walked around getting wished a Happy Chanukah as much as we walk around getting wished a Merry Christmas, seeing Chanukah commercials on television as much as we see Christmas commercials, watching Chanukah movies as much as we see Christmas movies, and listening to Chanukah songs on the radio as much as we hear Christmas songs, I suspect you'd start to get more than a little upset too.

Not to sound like an advocate for political correctness or anything, but if you're not sure of a person's religion, simply say Happy Holidays. It solves a great many problems. "

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Don't you see how the whole "We say Merry Christmas and we don't care who doesn't like it" is quite arrogant...
There's a LOT more to what you say than just that.

Arrogant?

So when a Sikh immigrates to my country and then forces everyone here to bend and adjust to their religion that's not arrogant but me saying "Merry Christmas" and I don't care who doesn't like it is arrogant?

Call me arrogant, I don't care.

Oh, and I should mention, I'm an athiest and "Merry Christmas" has no religious meaning to me... it's simple a tradition I grew up with along with all the others my age.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Good thing they were not insulted immigrating to a christian country. I didn't go to the middle east, and tell them to stop saying "Allah." ;)
The native Americans were Christian?

Look, no one is saying you can't say Merry Christmas, or celebrate Christmas... that's just over the top hyperbole. What people are saying is don't throw your beliefs down someone else's throat. You don't like it when you think it's being done to you, yet it's okay when you do it to others? Answer.. NO, it's not. If you know beforehand that someone isn't Christian, then wish them Happy Holidays.... or better yet, if you know their faith, specify that. Honest mistakes are just that, honest. But intentionally disrespecting someone else is rude.

I like to be nice and correct. But when I am forced with being just one, I choose to be correct.
In what sense of correctness, is telling a Jew, Sihk, or Muslim "Merry Christmas" ?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
There's a LOT more to what you say than just that.

Arrogant?

So when a Sikh immigrates to my country and then forces everyone here to bend and adjust to their religion that's not arrogant but me saying "Merry Christmas" and I don't care who doesn't like it is arrogant?

Call me arrogant, I don't care.

Oh, and I should mention, I'm an athiest and "Merry Christmas" has no religious meaning to me... it's simple a tradition I grew up with along with all the others my age.
I have never seen, or heard of, a Sikh trying to bend or force anyone to their religion, that's just creative hyperbole. They generally keep to themselves, and certainly don't dress up their houses or trees with dazzling lights and ornaments for all to see.

On the other hand, almost every Christian I have ever known expects others to adapt to their faith and holidays. It's the old "if you ain't with us, you must be against us" mindset, that erroneously tries to paint a picture that Christmas is somehow under attack. It's not.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sometimes I think the internet is pretty stupid...and I'm a computer guy that's been surfing since the early 1990's. This Merry Christmas is nothing more than an internet paranoia like almost anything else that takes off with a frenzy on the net.

OK...yes I believe in God and I have no problem with Merry Christmas, but I also have no issue with Happy Holiday's or Season's Greeting's.

I have CHRISTMAS CARDS from the 1950's that say Happy Holidays and Seasons Greetings.

Wow...now there's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
The native Americans were Christian?
The founding fathers were.

In what sense of correctness, is telling a Jew, Sihk, or Muslim "Merry Christmas" ?
I call things by their name. Just like I don't say "happy holidays" on 4th of July, I don't say "happy holidays" for Christmas either.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
The founding fathers were.

I call things by their name. Just like I don't say "happy holidays" on 4th of July, I don't say "happy holidays" for Christmas either.
Belated Happy Chanukah to ya CR ! thumb up Better late than never.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have never seen, or heard of, a Sikh trying to bend or force anyone to their religion, that's just creative hyperbole.
HELLO .... guess it don't happen in your country but they ride motorcycles with their turbans on here. They can wear them all the time, even if they belong to a police force or they are a fire fighter. They can take their ceremonial swords and knives thru airport security. Now if that isn't forcing THEIR religion onto other's I don't know what is.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
Belated Happy Chanukah to ya CR ! thumb up Better late than never.
LOL - that stuck to me like a walnut thrown at a wall. Not offended since it does not apply to me, on the contrary, each time someone wishes me something positive, I take it with a smile. cheers

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
HELLO .... guess it don't happen in your country but they ride motorcycles with their turbans on here. They can wear them all the time, even if they belong to a police force or they are a fire fighter. They can take their ceremonial swords and knives thru airport security. Now if that isn't forcing THEIR religion onto other's I don't know what is.
Simply NOT TRUE!

"Knives with blades that are 2.36 inches (6 centimeters) or shorter, and less than a 1/2 inch wide, will be permitted on U.S. airline flights as long as the blade is not fixed or does not lock into place."

"That pretty much eliminates the kirpan as it has a fixed blade, even though many ceremonial kirpans have a blade with a dull edge. Apparently the new rule only applies to carry on luggage which would restrict wearing the kirpan even were it allowed."

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL - that stuck to me like a walnut thrown at a wall. Not offended since it does not apply to me, on the contrary, each time someone wishes me something positive, I take it with a smile. cheers
Interesting .... non-christians are offended if someone wishes them "Merry Christmas" .... is a christian offended if someone wishes them an Happy Chanukah ?

I know I'm not offended by either ... yet by some of this banter, one might think I should be :ltr: wac

1 - 20 of 81 Posts