Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received a box of parts from Arlen Ness. I'm looking at the mirrors the Arlen Ness Mini Oval Micro, they look way to narrow for my taste but would look good on my bike, but I'm not sure how functional they would be. Is anyone using these mirrors please comment.

See link: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/760-902

·
13,002 Posts
guess you just have to put them on and see what you think. You might have to tip your hand controls up or down to get more of a view.
When changing lanes never trust your mirrors turn your head and look

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
they have some similar on ebay for closer to $30. im thinking of getting them also, i saw a pic of them on a xc and they looked good

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Considering those on my Hard-Ball also when I do the bars.. Something different from the pointy tear-droppy look.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I just put the Ness scoop mirrors on my XC.
Mrs 8 ball hates em, says they're too small.
Whenever I change lanes I ALWAYS look over my shoulder TWICE.
She noticed this and said "what's wrong, can't see with the new mirrors?"
Nope no problem seeing, just like to make sure some swift running cager didn't sneak up beside me and I didn't notice it.
There are no fender benders on a bike, we are responsible for our own safety!!!!

·
13,002 Posts
A smart rider always looks over his or her shoulder.
A fool meets a car

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I got the mirrors installed and I'm not happy with the look! Something is not right because they sit to low it's as if I missing and adapter or extension. The last pic shows some gauging into the assembly I'm not happy at all. Any I deals :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
if nothing else a washer would be nice at the bottom to keep from gouging. the reason i wanted these style mirrors is because they should sit lower to my hands, i have taller bars on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You needed to put a washer under the right side , I have the scoop mirrors that mount the same way .....

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Regarding that problem with buggering the reservoir cover, that's a problem on the Vics with any mirror that doesn't have a sleeve on its jam nut for the right-side mirror.

I wrote a lengthy DIY for adding Rivco LED mirrors on my site about a year ago ( http://www.billanddot.com/adding-rivco-led-mirrors.html ). Here's a cut-and-paste from part of that write-up. I'm talking about the sleeve on the stock jam nut here (and there's a picture and measurements on the DIY page):

This sleeve area has an outside diameter of about 0.58" (15mm) and is about 0.16" (4mm) deep. If you were to just tighten down the nut on the Rivco adapter — as I was doing, before I noticed this problem — you'd wind up buggering the top surface of this area of the reservoir housing, and you would not be able to solidly lock in the stalk.

Here's what I did. I bought some washers at my local hardware store. It turns out that it's not hard to find them with an OD of 0.58"; depending on their thickness, one may suffice. I then drilled out the washer(s), using a series of bits, such that the threaded end of the stalk could pass through; the threads have an OD of about 0.39" (10mm). Doing this drilling was a PITA, because you will wind up not having much material left in the washer; if you clamp it on edge in a vise with much force, you'll wind up bending it. Last, I also bought a pretty hard neoprene (or something like that) black washer, with an OD of about 0.63" (16mm); this covered up the metal washer, and the buggered area on the cover, and still allowed me to rigidly tighten the adapter nut.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I used a Ford brake hose copper washer , I filed down the outside diameter very slightly for a perfect fit , painted it black , total cost .89cents . The copper washer is also about an 1/8" thick so spacing was perfect .thumb up

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yes those washers are perfect after you file them down a bit.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I used a Ford brake hose copper washer , I filed down the outside diameter very slightly for a perfect fit , painted it black , total cost .89cents . The copper washer is also about an 1/8" thick so spacing was perfect .thumb up

.89 cents?
Musta stole the black paint from Ford LOL.
Hope it doesn't peel like the back bumper on our 06 Milan did:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had the ness micro swoops and micro ovals on two different bikes. Choppers. My experience with them wasn't great. I love the looks, and function was good but they always loosen up.

Aequitas Veritas 2012 XC, imperial blue, Ness mitered bars, D&D exhaust, Ness deep cut grips-pegs-mirrors-gas cap, Hot Vic custom seat, Hot Vic 21" front wheel kit, custom flame paint, Vicbagger imperial blue contrast cut speaker grills

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I think these mirrors were intended for bikes with like ape hanger bars and non bagger bikes. I had the dealer fix my mirror issue by adding the washer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll take a better shot at the handle bars to show how the mirror look.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Be sure to use red loctite on the stud when you put it into the mirror, and as LilMags said use a small copper washer and paint it.
I actually have one that I could send to you.cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
.89 cents?
Musta stole the black paint from Ford LOL.
Hope it doesn't peel like the back bumper on our 06 Milan did:D
Yea , well yours were more like $7.00 after the shipping ....:D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, after having the dealer take care of my mirror problem I THOUGHT! I went on a 250 mi ride Saturday and the rt side mirror loosed up and I kept having to adjust it plus they just sit to low for my liking. So I decided to order the following from witchdoctors: http://buywitchdoctors.com/p/2219/victory-motorcycle-parts-mirrors-general-accessories-cross-country-roads-hardball-motorcycles-extender-black-sc-632/ http://buywitchdoctors.com/p/1072/victory-motorcycle-parts-mirrors-general-accessories-cross-country-roads-hardball-motorcycles-stem-adapter-black-sc-632/

My FIRST problem, I can't figure out how to get the mirror aligned up properly where I can see out of them without overnighting either the extender our the mirror stem. Secondly I think I might have damaged the treads some how because when I tried to remove the extender turning it to the left, it started getting tighter, you go in a clockwise direction it will do the same. Now all this occurred once I removed the mirror and adapter that's when I had the issue with the mirror extender. I'm not sure what I'm missing here but this can't be that complicated. :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Hello , I ran into this problem also . You first need to bond the original stud that came with your mirrors into the mirror base stem with RED Loctite , and let it set up overnight for best results . What happens is as you tighten the locknut , you are loosening the stud from the mirror base stem , causing the mirror to be loose , and thus flop around .... Once I secured it with the Loctite , it remedied the problem .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts