Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
J&p cycles has the Arlen ness RAM air intake for half the price of the lloyds intake. Does anyone know if there is that much of a difference between the two performance wise? I currently have the stock vented box and am wondering if the ness intake will perform as well as the lloyds. Thanks in advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Im presuming you have a steel frame Vic........
I initially had a Ness Ram and they work quite well and take in a lot more air than the stock/stage 1 setup.
So much so you will need a fuel tuner preferably PCV to tune the bike or you'll run excessively lean and at best burn an exhaust valve or two and maybe even melt a piston.
I went the whole 9 yards when I could afford it and upped the intake to Torquetubes , mainly for ease of maintenance , looks, and sound, and a little more torque down low than the Ness unit.
For the price you cant go wrong but ensure you get a PCV and a good tune with some of the money you save.
PS its a good idea to tell us exactly what bike you got, makes it easier for us to help.
PPS. you may as well throw in an ATS while yr at it before you get yr bike tuned.
Then hang on tight!

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Thanks! I have a 2013 Vegas. Already have lloyds ATS, RPW slash exhaust and lloyds fuel tuner. Did you notice any better sound over the stick stage one with the ness?

Certainly...a nice intake roar when you get up it

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
same only different

put one on my 13 hammer it functions well, but being a ONE PIECE molded unit it will be needed to fully remove for cleaning. the outside will get dirtiest of course as cleaning the inside will be questionable. mounting it is tedious + just right longer allen tool is almost essential. you see little of it so the bling matters not. the torque tubes are costlier yet but look to be easily removed for cleaning. can't beat the $$$ of the ness unit. heres a pic of it installed, the little you can see even stooped down.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
566 Posts
Man for that price, that's hard to argue against. How often do you really have to clean it?! Once Every 8k miles or so?! That's like 4 years of riding for me, since I have multiple bikes. At that interval, it's probably time to clean the throttle boddies too, so I'll be taking the tank off anyway.

Plus, I really hate the way loyds tq tubes look in the front of the tank. Looks like 2 red weiners stiking out from underneath the tank.

:puke:

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Man for that price, that's hard to argue against. How often do you really have to clean it?! Once Every 8k miles or so?! That's like 4 years of riding for me, since I have multiple bikes. At that interval, it's probably time to clean the throttle boddies too, so I'll be taking the tank off anyway.

Plus, I really hate the way loyds tq tubes look in the front of the tank. Looks like 2 red weiners stiking out from underneath the tank.

:puke:

The torque tubes make a tonne more power though!!!

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Whoa.... if that number is right, that's a lot! I'll have to do some diggin'.

There are a bunch of threads on here with that info... Guys posting there dyno run sheets and what not. When I had my highball I was leaning to the torque tubes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, got the ness kit. I've installed my exhaust, ATS VFC III, and LED turn signals... And swapped my handlebars and ran the wires internally. Did all this myself... Is this too big of a job to do myself or should I take it to someone and have it put in?

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Rq
Really? How much are weroughly?
Over stock they make great power and torque, but so does the Ness,
I went from Ness to Tubes and re-dynoed and the increase was minimal, a couple of horse and four ft lb down low.
Did smooth out the slight shakiness in the curves and gave thr bike a better 'feel'.
But as for "bang for buck" as you say the Ness cant be beat.
Cleaning is easier with TTintake, yet when I contacted K&N re service intervals they said "up to 50,000 miles"
Bottom line is your budget and wether or not you want the very very best or real good.
No doubt the tubes come into thier own when combined with cams too.
Also my bike a 100 cube so a 106will always make more per mod, cubes is cubes.
I installed both the Ness and then the tubes myself.
Sounds like the last poster should be able to handle it, theres a bit of tight fiddling but with patience youll get it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have the ness and yea it's more work to take off to clean but you're only talking a couple minutes over the ss/Lloyds. TT are easier because you don't have to remove the tank. But you probably won't have to clean it for at least 10k miles.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0255925?term=pivot+head

These make life a lot easier in tight spaces but I didn't have to use them on the ness.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ok, got the ness kit. I've installed my exhaust, ATS VFC III, and LED turn signals... And swapped my handlebars and ran the wires internally. Did all this myself... Is this too big of a job to do myself or should I take it to someone and have it put in?

It's an easy job. Take your time cutting out the airbox and just be careful with the fuel tank nipple. I disconnected mine at the TB instead of the tank. Oh and get the 1/4 throttle if you don't have it yet.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
ball end allen's

got a cheap set of longer ball end allen sockets as well as ones with standard end to cut if needed. they are small + get into smaller areas easily. the ball ends are excellent + work at various angles, you can't have too many tools for sure !!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
depends on exhaust as well

some popping + backfiring is expected with open exhaust, especially the short-noisy types. i have the gen 4 afr+ with an RPW thor + get a little still, no biggie IMO. i felt that performance was improved, as it was my first upgrade on my 13 hammer beside the factory stage I + tri-pro from the former owner, surely a good bang for the buck!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts