Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 vision stock except S1L1 mufflers. Stock air filter
and car tire in the rear. (not that it matters )
I started out at +6 with 02's hooked up. Running half the ride
around 65 mph and the other half running between 70 and 80
mph. Cam up with 49 mpg. (way to lean )
Next time out running the same speeds and same route at +6
with 02's un-hooked came up with 46 mpg (still to lean )

Now at +4 with 02's un-hooked running like the previous runs
came up with 41 mpg (to rich )
Next time running with 02's hooked up came up with 44 mpg
I think this is where I want to be.
All four runs I used 89 octane. Never any pinging or knocking.
I think +6 was smoother going up at 80 mph.
No matter what the setting was I would get one or two pops
leaving a stop sign or stop light on up shifting only.
I feel humidity/due point has a lot to do with pooping

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Thanks Visionjohnny, that's great data.
I am also at +4 with O2's connected and getting the same MPG.
I was thinking of bringing the wheel up a bit, but after reading your data I think I will leave it where it is.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

Too much variation to be convincing. I don't think that you are hurting yourself by leaving the O2s hooked up, I just think that there is no way in hell that you rode it the exact same way at the exact same atmospheric conditions and filled it up to the exact same level over and over, over the course of your trials.

The more pressing question I have is...do you feel $200 worth of difference? When you pass a car now does its occupant's fear of your superior power send a chill up your spine as your passing causes them to emit cosmic signals of desperation and submission?

·
Registered
608 Posts

I am at 3.5 the bike says I am getting 49.5 mpg. The soot drips out of the end of the pipes.

Car tire... That's cool.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have an ATS set at +3 and run 91+ octane fuel. Sometimes a tank runs as low as 39 MPG and other times I have seen it at as high as 46 MPG on a full tank of fuel. I can often identify the why behind my changes but it is never a tuning issue. If I ride a long distance with a tail wind it gets closer to the high number and with a wind from the front or local trips it will tend to the low side. My timing never changes and my O2s are always connected. In general I see around 41 MPG but riding conditions seem to affect me more than the numbers you are throwing out there. Unless all other parameters are controlled, very hard to do, I suggest that your results are meaningless. Ride a couple of months under varying conditions with each set up and I might think there is some relevance to your numbers but short uses at each condition are more or less useless data. It is well within the variation that happens from tank to tank around here.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
how accurate is your speedo Visionjohnny with the car tire? just curious, what are you running for a car tire?

back on topic, with my stock bumflop tire, wheel at 8, thrush packs, lloydz filter i would average 47-48 at. 65-70 mph mostly highway, put on a new avon( larger then bumflop, speedo more accurate now) mileage dropped to an average of 44-45, same conditions, run 91 no ethanol gas.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
...When you pass a car now does its occupant's fear of your superior power send a chill up your spine as your passing causes them to emit cosmic signals of desperation and submission?
That's pretty much the reason I do anything. :D

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
So taking the info posted into consideration, does it really matter if the o2s are enabled or not, Just spit bawling......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
837 Posts
2012 XR and my wheel is set at +6. I took a long 6 day trip and got the best mpg since I had the bike. Anywhere between 42-49 in all types of driving-- interstate, mountains, twisties, etc. When I got back I installed a set so stage 1 Vic exhaust that I got for a song. Could not tell much difference in power. Then I unplugged the 02 sensors and a noticeable increase or a better word would be a "looseness" or "Freeness" in the way the engine revs. Still have not burned a tank out since, so I don't know about the mpg yet.

Lloyds AF and PC5 coming soon.cheers

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
2012 XR and my wheel is set at +6. I took a long 6 day trip and got the best mpg since I had the bike. Anywhere between 42-49 in all types of driving-- interstate, mountains, twisties, etc. When I got back I installed a set so stage 1 Vic exhaust that I got for a song. Could not tell much difference in power. Then I unplugged the 02 sensors and a noticeable increase or a better word would be a "looseness" or "Freeness" in the way the engine revs. Still have not burned a tank out since, so I don't know about the mpg yet.

Im getting ready to penetrate the battery area, to put on some lock washers, and sins I was in there I would find the front plug and disable them.......:)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

you have the pipes and no ecm download or other than stock
air filter? i might be up to trying that.

·
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saddlebag
Yes the air humidity/due point more then likely was different each day.
First off the wheel is only $162 bucks with gasket. Yes it is great power and smoothness for the money. You will find one guy out of fifty that doesn't think the wheel was worth it.
From 0 to 60 mph is very fast way faster then stock and smoother and with that quickness getting to 60 mph before you know it your at 80 mph. Now that the wheel has come out there is not a shop that installs cams with out installing the ATS wheel.
You pass cars or trucks way quicker and less down shifting.
Saddlebag
you buy one and put it in and if you don't like it some one will buy it from you for what you paid for it.

·
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am at 3.5 the bike says I am getting 49.5 mpg. The soot drips out of the end of the pipes.

Car tire... That's cool.
I never trust the gauge for information. I use my phone to do the math. Any miles per gallon over 45 your burning your exhaust valves.
I do not have stage 1 flash

·
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a Brigestone car tire 195/60-16 I think its the same as stock.
I run 40 psi in it. Checking speed with the radar signs a long side of the road 40 mph and under is right on. At 60 mph the sign says I'm doing 58 mph. Thats fine with me I just might not get a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
837 Posts
you have the pipes and no ecm download or other than stock
air filter? i might be up to trying that.
Yep-- straight stock at this point, except for the pipes. I did not want a lot of noise, just a little more and these pipes are perfect for me. Love the sound. I picked up the popping when I unplugged the 02.

VJ-- I read all these post about almost 50 mpg. Until my trip, I have never gotten anything close--maybe 42. It is better in summer than winter. MPG seems to be getting better with age and milage--and yea, ATS???

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Its a Brigestone car tire 195/60-16 I think its the same as stock.

I run 40 psi in it. Checking speed with the radar signs a long side of the road 40 mph and under is right on. At 60 mph the sign says I'm doing 58 mph. Thats fine with me I just might not get a speeding ticket.

cool thanks ! that would be close enough for me ! ive thought about going car tire, but still not sure on it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
its not soot dripping out, its water from running ethanol gas.

I don't think we have ethanol gas. We don't have the growing season here to produce ethanol. The sticker on the pump does say may contain ethanol upto 10% and there was talk that it might happen. But I haven't heard any more about it.

My wife's v star 650 has no soot. It looks like there has never been a motor exhaust running through them. And no cats...

Don't understand why the Victorys run so dirty even though they have a Cat in the exhaust....

·
Registered
608 Posts
I never trust the gauge for information. I use my phone to do the math. Any miles per gallon over 45 your burning your exhaust valves.
I do not have stage 1 flash
All bikes run lean so they can pass EPA .. I have had new bikes run so lean they would surge on the hiway. I have never seen burnt valves on a bike but I have replace burnt valves in car motors.
Your more likely to over heat and shorten the life of the motor by running lean. Air cooled motors run cooler being a little on the rich side.

Problem is with the price of gas these days, you need to find the balance between mileage and engine life.

I have the victory oil temp gauge and I know I am running on the lean side. The oil temp runs between 200-220 ...... 220 is hot, and that's not stuck in traffic, that's running down he road at 70 deg out.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts