Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really like my XR only had it for 3500 miles. Lots of comments,people likey which is good. Sometimes it gets to be a bet much, not tring to have my nose in the air either,ha,ha. Walked outside of the auto parts store yesterday,just got my helmet on, ready to leave. Guy walks up looking at bike. He says"Pretty bike" looking it over,then comes "but it's not a Harley!" Oh boy so I told him part of what I was thinking. I did good on watching what I said,he was complementing the bike after all. I told him "I like it better than the Harleys." Did not say anything else that was running through my mind,such as spent my money on what I wanted (cleaned it up). He did also say that it looked well balanced and he did like the bags. So I told him thanks and to have a good day. When I got my Triumph I had all kinds of people talk to me about Triumph which was cool. It does seem when they talk to you about your Victory they always have through Harley into the conversation also. The good thing is people seem to say very positive things for the most part,just gets old always hearing about the other American bike. It will be nice when the Motus starts production and I'll have to through that one into the conversation,just to have them say what the ^&* is that.:p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Everytime I go out on the bike, and I give my wife an estimate on when I'll be back, she always asks, "Did you factor in the extra half hour to answer questions about the bike, from random people?"

Seriously, I read about getting questions/compliments/comments about the Vics, before buying one, but I honestly didn't believe it would be as common as it is. On a positive note, I get a TON of good looking women wanting to ask about the bike :D

Haven't had any HD remarks, other than from my HD riding buddies. I did convert one of my friends from a life-long desire for a Jap cruiser to getting a 2004 TC. He still can't believe it. Also get a lot of, "Who makes Victories?" and "Where are those made?"

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
When confronted with the "it's not a harlee" comments, it's a good idea to confess that you do not settle for 2nd best. You might not win any peace advocate awards with that, but at least you're honest. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah i know exactly what you guys are talking about. Every time i get gas is at least 20 minutes. I let a long time friend who is all Harley ride it Saturday. He came back to with nothing but grins. First words was wow now i know why you bought this thing. So that impressed me. My hard ball has been called batmans bike a stealth fighter. I was on a poker run Saturday and came out to a crowd around it. Then the questions began. A half hour of talking victory. Not one Harley guy made any comment about not being a Harley.however they did get to see some of the power underneath my seat. Ha ha.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've honestly have never met someone at a bike event who rode a Harley who spewed hate. Not even when i rode my sportbike. I think there is a small group of Harley people that hate anything not Harley. They seem to want to light all there fires on forums and youtube pages. I bought my Victory because it was right for me after doing alot of research. So if any of the Harley guys want to tell me in person why my bike sucks I'm all ears. But I have facts on my side to back up my decsion of where I spent my money.

Plus the Vic's always get more looks than any Harley cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had an older lady tell me my 2012 Cross Roads LE was a beautiful motorcycle. Then she made some remark about aren't Harleys the best. I told I sold my 2010 Electra Glide to buy this bike and was glad I did. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I tell them, "my previous bike was a Harley, and it was the most unreliable thing I've owned". What good is something you don't have the confidence in to hit the road without wondering if you'll get there and back without issues?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Never any hate from the HD guys yet. I have had many compliments and questions when riding my Kingpin tour and the same for the XCT. Some of them crawling on the ground looking at it from every angle. Most are friendly and curious about the other american motorcycle. A few conversations are so one sided that its difficult to listen to them, but they are not haters, just indoctrinated. In the end, HD is number one for them and I wouldn't expect it to be any other way. More power to them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When one of the so called HD riders try the BS on me I just tell them I have a REAL HARLEY in the garage (My Shovelhead) not one of those Twinkie things you are riding.And BTW the Vic rides better and make better power than your Twinkie too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
2nd best?

When confronted with the "it's not a harlee" comments, it's a good idea to confess that you do not settle for 2nd best. You might not win any peace advocate awards with that, but at least you're honest. ;)
Really, your giving HD that much credit? 2nd? I have ridden a lot of other brand bikes and they will be on the road a lot longer than any HD will be without a major overhaul.

Have you started to drink the koolaid? LOL:ltr:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've personally only had one negative comment. Guy in a bar who didn't even realize I was close enough to him to hear. Looking at our bikes through the window. My Vegas 8 Ball (pretty customized) next to his sportster (which happened to be an 883, too, which makes it even funnier). Two separate guys are standing around looking at the bikes, and paying severely more attention to my Vegas. Guy looking out at them says "Why the F*** aren't they looking at the Harley?!"

I chuckled to myself, then went outside and rode away.

Aside from that, i've really had nothing but positive comments from guys. Whether they were Harley riders or otherwise. A few people have said the style of my Cross Country is not for them, but that the bike looks very nicely built, which I think is perfectly fair. Just like the style of most of the Harleys is not for me. I prefer the lines on the Vics. I'm also not the guy to bash the Harleys though. I've ridden a lot of them that I really enjoyed. Just none that I enjoyed nearly as much as both of the Vics i've owned.

There's always going to be brand loyalists. The same goes for Chevy vs. Ford. I know some guys who quite honestly think anyone who drives a Chevy is an idiot. Why people are so bent on having this closed minded attitude is beyond me.

As comedian Patton Oswald once said to a heckler in the crowd "You are such a douchenozzle. You're going to miss everything cool and die angry."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't know who coined the phrase or which forum I read it on but I love this. "Victory, No rice no pork all Beef " or something like that.

I haven't had my Vic that long, I get comments on it all the time but I've yet to hear anyone dis it.
I've always wanted to own a Harley and I'm not ruling it out but if I never own one I'm good with Victory. cheers

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Run into both types

In general the majority of "knowledgeable" Harley riders have been positive when they see/talk about my Ness XC. However, I did have two recent conversations I'll socialize here.

I was at a local biker bar (Easy Eddies) which is a pretty large place but you won't EVER find a "crotch rocket" in their parking lot. I was educating a friend of mine who I told to meet me in their parking lot so we could talk about what was the same/different between my bike and a Harley. I pulled up and parked and was telling my "buddy" about the differences when one of the HD RG owners came out to his bike to get back on the road. He heard me talking to my friend about the Road Glide Street glide differences and such and decided to chime in. We both welcomed his comments as it's always great to hear from the actual bike owner. I had said that his was a Road Glide as we had not gotten around on the side of it yet (we were standing almost directly behind it so could not see the wheels nor anything on the sides).

This guy quicker "corrected" me saying "this is a RG CUSTOM". You don't see many RG's around here but if you go to Myrtle or other of the "more truer" biker places, you'll see a LOT of them." I commented that I (personally) liked the RG's better than the Street Glides myself. He seemed initially appeased but then said "This isn't just ANY RG, it's got a LOT of customizations. Standing at the back I noticed that his pipes looked like Rhinehart exhaust and was telling my buddy that HD has more exhaust options than m...THEY ARE NOT RHIEHARTS! THEY ARE RPCs!!! And the wheels are a custom from who-the-F-cares AS WELL!! Your not going to find anything as different as THIS bike ANYWHERE on this lot!! He was visability a bit "looped/drunk" and perhaps a bit TOO proud of all the $'s he poured into the bike so I humored him (at first) by saying that the wheels did indeed look nice and I asked if the front was a 21" or 23" wheel, etc.

After a while he repeated the line "Your not going to find anything as different as THIS bike ANYWHERE on this lot!!" to which I said "That Victory 2 bikes over is pretty different" to which he basically turned his nose up at "Oh, THAT?" and then he got on his bike and rode off... in a bit of a huff. He may have even said something like "that's not a REAL bike" or something similar under his breadth. Basically, he didn't like the FACT that his "baby" was even being mentioned in the same breadth as a "Victory" much less being directly compared to it. Seeing as how he was "lit", I didn't bother telling him it was mine.

In that EXACT same parking lot and in the parking space next to him was a 2011 Road Glide CVO that just happened to be the EXACT same color as my bike. That rider just happened to be pulling out as me and my buddy were walking back to the bikes from inside the restaurant. That guy was almost the exact OPPOSITE of the prior guy. He was a VERY NICE older guy probably around 60. He pointed to my bike and mouthed "Is that yours?". When I nodded, he turned off his bike and wanted to know how I liked it, what year it was and a few other things. I told him my buddy was looking and was curious about differences and he went on to tell what he liked about his bike without bias. He also stated a few things he liked about the Victory's and told my friend that if he was trying to by a bike "under $20K, that the Victory had a lot more to offer than the HDs would". He then said to my buddy, "Have a great night & hope to see you out here again sometime soon on your own bike beit a Harley, Victory, Triumph or whatever!"

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a lot of people talk to me about the bike which I don't mind and am always nice to others. I only had a harley guy say something negative when he didn't realize I was the owner standing near by, he made a negative comment about my exhaust wrap in front of his buddy's. I didn't care, he was on a road king and only said it when all of his friends were checking out my bike and not his.

Some people get a little overly excited though. I have had people run up too me and get in my way while I'm trying to park and people come in the middle of the road to talk to me which I laugh about later on. Im not riding Jessica Alba naked doing a backwards crab walk down the road, it's just a Victory :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
When one of the so called HD riders try the BS on me I just tell them I have a REAL HARLEY in the garage (My Shovelhead) not one of those Twinkie things you are riding.And BTW the Vic rides better and make better power than your Twinkie too.
That is too funny. I've done the same thing.

76 Superglide here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts