Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A day at the drags....
The 1974 Chrysler by Chrysler 245 Hemi 6 we bought off ebay 2 months ago was about to hit the dragstrip after weeks of solid work cutting out rust and massaging minor dents,then a respray in original colour Star Bronze metallic acrylic, buffed up to a shine!
We had flown to Melbourne then caught a train back up to Albury so my lady could hand over her tax-refund money to buy this rare piece of Aussie Mopar history, she had been craving a Mopar ever since I let her run my '66 slant 6 Valiant down the strip at a club day 6 months previous, she ran a couple of 17 second passes on the day, but I sold the car as it wasn't really up to standard as a keeper.
Since then we had our eyes open for a decent car at the right price.
This car is the result of an ebay gamble, a plane flight, a road trip, and countless hours of hard work.
The payoff was about to happen...
Then the servicing and tuning, getting the brakes up to scratch, upholstery work on a badly sagged drivers seat....fixing up a few years of neglect...she passed inspection and licensed for the road
We were up early to drive out to the track, got there just as it opened.
After forms filled out, money paid, helmet check and numbers put on the windows it was out for her first qualifying pass a [email protected],
next pass a 20.0 then a 19.7
For the last qualifying run I removed the air filter element to get maximum airflow and then as she came up to the burnout water that had previously been driven around, I pointed for her to do a small burnout, which she did.
The car left the line a bit soon pulling a red light:frown
but she kept the pedal to the metal to record a devilishly quick [email protected]:devil
Shortly the first round of the bracket racing commenced with her nominating a time of 19.00 as her dial-in (I thought it a fair bet she wouldn't chop any more than half a second off her best so far)
She lined up against a similar year Chrysler coupe running a 265 Hemi 6 sporting a 4 barrel double pumper carb, he had dialed in at 15.8
My girl cut a .042 reaction and a 3.0 sixty foot and was off for a seemingly leisurely drive down the strip.
3.2 seconds handicap later the white 265 coupe launched in hot pursuit of our bronze 245 4-door.....
He got the win light crossing the finish first and I hot-footed it around to the return road to console her even though she ran her best of [email protected]
I got to the return road as the white coupe came past and then my girl in her star-bronze 4-door Chrysler....she was beaming and waving hysterically...I stuck my thumb out feigning to be hitch-hiking and she picked me up.
As I got in she excitedly told me that the coupe had broke out (ran quicker than his nominated dial in) and therefore she took the win and was through to the next round!:grin
As we waited in the staging lanes for the quicker cars to run through the next round we could see ominous dark clouds closing in fast, then a flash of lightning!:eek
Just as a Top Fuel Hemi powered front engine dragster was about to run a pass it started sprinkling, then heavier...we waited in hope it would blow over but it didn't look good...five minutes later with no reprieve of the rain the event was called off.
We parked back on the grass in the show n shine area, lots of people leaving, we hung around checking out some of the big-hitter Cudas, Challengers, Chargers, Super-Bees, and Coronets.
Animals with blown Hemis and tunnel-rammed dual quad 440's
massive slicks and wild paint jobs. As well as the Aussie variants of Mopar-madness that were there in big numbers hoping to run low numbers.
I replaced our air-filter element, checked the oil and then we headed back home to my workshop.
Another fantastic day!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more pix, the watermarked ones from a pro-photographers website.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and for all you Mopar-freaks out there a few more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
MbX soooo cool mate, love reading your story, how many kilometers was the car from your house from where you bought it ? Post some pictures of your garage when you fixed her up ?

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MbX soooo cool mate, love reading your story, how many kilometers was the car from your house from where you bought it ? Post some pictures of your garage when you fixed her up ?

:thumbup:

For you BP6666VR.....OK Mate, well we flew Gold Coast to Melbourne 2 hrs on a plane then 3 hours on a train back up to Albury then a 1300 kilometer drive home, we stayed off the main roads and made a road trip even more interesting, switching from LPG to petrol when we needed power and flicking back to LPG once cruising, she hadnt run on gasoline for so long the carby flooded every time we slowed for a town, then stalled leaving me with no power steering or power brakes!....interesting:eek
An interesting stop along the way when I spotted a B-double semi loaded with Mopar Parts...what a perfect photo opportunity not to be missed...I wheeled the Chrysler back around in a u-turn and into the roadside truck parking bay (pix to follow)
A roadside tune up at Yass with a fresh set of spark plugs saw the Hemi 245 singing a slightly happier song but we still had dramas running slowly on juice....once up to speed though it was smooth sailing and Chryslers top of the line luxo-cruiser was in its element eating up the Aussie backroads in a style that would've made Mad Max proud!
The run from Glen Innes to Grafton late at night with skippy everywhere was a nightmare and after much slow running at 30mph we pulled in near a creek at Jackadjery for a much needed sleep, I took the back seat and got 4 hours sleep to awake refreshed to a foggy morning sunrise, then back on the road.
Amazingly we drove back into my workshop a mere two days after flying out.
The work was about to start!

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm a mopar freak too. I would love to see some pictures of the 6 cylinder hemi. I heard you guys had them but I've never seen one. I've had several mopars but my current one is the best so far. A 2015 Challanger 392 6 speed. Before that 2012 charger 392 super bee. My wife drives a 2009 charger RT with the 345 hemi. My first car was a 1974 Dodge Dart sport with a 318. Plus a bunch of others over the years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Best of all Mopar.

Dukes of Hazzerd, the first series of course, when we were young, not the new movies, etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a mopar freak too. I would love to see some pictures of the 6 cylinder hemi. I heard you guys had them but I've never seen one. I've had several mopars but my current one is the best so far. A 2015 Challanger 392 6 speed. Before that 2012 charger 392 super bee. My wife drives a 2009 charger RT with the 345 hemi. My first car was a 1974 Dodge Dart sport with a 318. Plus a bunch of others over the years.
here's what wiki has to say
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine

more...
Australian Hemi Six Engines: 215, 245, 265

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Very cool MBX.

I'll never forget my dad pulling up to our driveway in his Valiant (looked exactly the same as yours except in beige) in Suva, Fiji, around I guess 1975, stopping, hoping out to open the garage door leaving the drivers door open and forgetting to put the handbrake on (I remember the high beam button on the floor :) ), and it starts to roll back down the driveway picking up speed, then clips the brick fence and rips the drivers door right off! Dad running after it like he's Mr Bean out onto the road and stopping it before it ploughs into the house across the road..........we drove around for a few weeks with it tied back on with rope- all front access was on the LHS.

haha....good times.

BTW- a very cool Tarantino movie with Kurt Russel; Death Proof- broke my heart what they did to that badass 1969 Dodge Charger and 1970 Chevy Nova...........funny as hell too

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! Tragic.... Hope dad got it repaired?
Not nowhere near as bad but frightening at the time when I was tryna tune the Carter BDS carb before I removed the LPG and before I put a gasket/plunger kit through the carby.
Was trying to get it to idle on petrol/juice/fuel/guzzoline, not gas as gas in Aussie means LPG gas hey @Krisd
So Chryslers in Park (column shift)
Im on left front of car hood open turning up the idle screw....I give it a rev to see how it settles back and suddenly the shift drops into Reverse! .......Theres a large beat up truck parked crossways 15 ft back from the front of my workshop.
I automatically grab the rear corner edge if the hood and I'm trying to hold the car thats on fast idle in reverse gear! I stick my steel toe right boot under the back of the front wheel as well and yell out HELP! The young apprentice welder next door runs out says whats up?
"GET IN THE CAR AND PUT IT IN PARK!" I yell.....he gets in and being young has never seen a column shift auto! "THE LEVER ON THE COLUMN" "push it all the way up!"
Which he did......there was a deep triangle impression in my right palm for almost an hour after...
Dunno why I didnt say "put yr foot on the brake" or indeed why I didnt have the wheels chocked!
A lesson there!
Now the LPGs removed and the Carter is cleaned out and kitted the only drama is cold starts as because the car orig had a heat riser auto choke and now it has headers well the chokes unoperative. It needs a few pumps and then ya need to goose the throttle till shes warmed up.
Which don't help the 16mpg we are getting. Thats Aussie gallons with an extra pint or so (4.5 litre)
Anyway I've bodged up a Ford XY vent cable as a choke but its less than ideal as it has zero feel.
Cars sweet once warmed up though and shes not a daily driver.
We are doing the special needs school kids 'formal' this Friday.
Will take the Chrysler and the Ford,
Charity thing our car club does every year.
Worth it to see the joy in thier faces when all the hot cars drop em off at the dance.
Spiritually Rewarding!
@kevinx yeah mate got a pic of 245 Hemi in my puter but on my phone right now so later....

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and funny youd mention DEATHPROOF as that actual white Challenger was there all beat up down both sides and For Sale for $40K.
I walked past it every time I walked from the staging lanes around behind the tower to get pix of the startline....could've got a pic but didn't....so many nice Mopars there coulda got losta pix but we were in 'racemode' not 'carshow mode'
And it makes a difference!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
hahaha.....good story MBX.

Yeah all fixed some time later. Mum ran up the back of a Corolla once in it- virtually not a scratch on the Valiant, but the Corolla's arse was flattened! Tanks.

Speaking of which; if I Google that 16mpg is 18 litres/100klms? **** that's pretty good. My 2014 Jeep is sitting on 22.1 litres/100klms- the harbour tunnel here is a farking killer!!!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Oh and funny youd mention DEATHPROOF as that actual white Challenger was there all beat up down both sides and For Sale for $40K.
I walked past it every time I walked from the staging lanes around behind the tower to get pix of the startline....could've got a pic but didn't....so many nice Mopars there coulda got losta pix but we were in 'racemode' not 'carshow mode'
And it makes a difference!
Ha- how about that!

That is a great movie if you get a chance- from it you sense Tarantino likes The Dukes of Hazard :)

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha- how about that!

That is a great movie if you get a chance- from it you sense Tarantino likes The Dukes of Hazard :)
5.5 kms per litre, its got kms speedo and we fill her in litres so its the easiest way than the other silly way the tabloids do it.
Gives me a baseline to calculate other figures off.
As well as a best 1/4 mile of 19.5 @ 73mph so far...
Expect the times to drop and consumption to go up as we get her sorted...on the lookout for a decent 265 block to knock out .040"
get all the reciprocals balanced then match port the head to a 500cfm Holley 2bbl with a lumpier hydraulic cam .
Nothing too wild...dont need much work to get 250-300 horse outta these Aussie Hemi six's.
Of course if a 273,318,340,360,or 383,440, with 727 trans comes up at the right price well......mmmmm:wink

and yeah seen DEATHPROOF..got it actually, Ill drag it out and watch it again tonight..

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very cool MBX.

I'll never forget my dad pulling up to our driveway in his Valiant (looked exactly the same as yours except in beige)

if it was exactly the same it'd be a Chrysler by Chrysler as distinct from a Valiant, the Wheelbase on the Chrysler in 4" longer behind the back door.
The biggest difference visually though the full wrap around front bumper reminiscent of Dodge Coronets and early Dodge Chargers, quite a few American Mopars had the similar full loop front bumper.
And the rear treatment was also tougher/sexier whatever way you look at it.
Also the Valiant usually ran 215, 225, or 245, wheras the Chrysler ran a 360 V8 or the big 265 six.
The Chrysler full luxury too with aircon, power windows, power steer, power disc brakes, and very plush interior.
They were top of the range and competing with Ford Fairlanes and Holden Statesmans in the upper end of the market at $6100 in 1974!
heres another pic, check out the front bumper...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Haha.....OK- thanks MBX thumb up

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing. Since the 245 was not offered her.....Could you post a picture of it please??
Here ya go @kevinx these were original sales brochure pix and billboard advertising in the day....I was a young car and bike mad teenager back then (still am:smile)
Went to the Brisbane Motor Show, sat in R/T Chargers, XU1 Toranas,
XYGT Falcons....collected all the brochures and stuck em on my walls.
Vivid memories....some pretty wild cars back then, 68-73 was Muscle Car heaven here...unrestricted open road speed limits.
Wild colours, High Performance.
Chrysler Australia shipped this 265 to Weber in Italy (EDIT they actually shipped a whole car!) for a fitup with triple sidedraught Webers for the R/T...These dyno pix were widely used in advertising at the time....Enjoy!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts