Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bushfires all over the place, many just out of control,
lives being lost, volunteer firefighters battling exhaustion.
Its serious downunder, some caused by firebugs and kids fooling with fire, others from careless cigarette butts flicked out car windows.
My sisters home is under serious threat, , its very hot downunder with summer coming on, and these fires are fanned by strong winds.
Keep us in your prayers.
Heres a pic of the unbelievable intensity of the situation!
 FB_IMG_1573625245836.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
That's terrifying!!

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surely is terrifying to see what can only be described as an inferno,
I fought bushfires a decade ago out near Drake but nothing of such intensity, even so a sudden wind change almost spelled death for us at one point.
I just checked the NSW fire website and the blaze near my sisters property has moved closer, theyre concern at the moment is windborne embers as the fire itself is still several miles away, Shes roughly the red marker on this pic.
If their power goes out they cant pump water, so baths, sinks, and buckets are all filled, wet towels at the ready, the situation is tense, at the mercy of the wind.
Some rain would be real handy!
Screenshot_20191115-135738_Fires Near Me NSW.jpg

·
Registered
543 Posts
Saying a prayer for your sister, you and all 'down under'.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Prayers out MBX

·
Premium Member
13,056 Posts
Always incredibly sad when these massive fires happen and affect homes and kill people. California has gotten so many like this I've lost count but so have most other states. I'm sure it happens all over the world as well. Imagine what nature did back before humans intervened then grew new and more healthy forests without all the underbrush that feeds so many of these fires.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
That's a hot fire! A few years back we had a lot of fires in the area I live. We were in a drought and it was very dry and we nearly always have wind. It burned a few rural area homes and barn. But never burned in to any towns. Most towns around here are very small and rely on volunteer fire departments. A lot of cattle were lost. Let's pray they can get the fires under control and no one loses their homes.

·
Premium Member
13,056 Posts
That's a hot fire! A few years back we had a lot of fires in the area I live. We were in a drought and it was very dry and we nearly always have wind. It burned a few rural area homes and barn. But never burned in to any towns. Most towns around here are very small and rely on volunteer fire departments. A lot of cattle were lost. Let's pray they can get the fires under control and no one loses their homes.
Last year about this time there was fire in NorCal called "The Camp Fire" which was supposedly started by a powerline somehow. It burned most of the town of Paradise. Ironic name considering what happened. Today 10% of the 27k previous residents are back and rebuilding along with lots of workers so the area is kinda booming for construction workers. The strange thing is right where most homes were burned down there will be a single home here and there that somehow escaped being burned for no discernible reason. Fire has a mind of its own for sure.

The area is really nice and wooded, even now with most of the underbrush burned away, it looks nice and will get nicer as time goes on. This underbrush is the biggest problem. Nature normally burns it away leaving the taller trees to stay healthy but when humans put out the fires before they should to protect homes and other structures; the forest is less healthy and more of a fire hazard. The best intentions sometimes is the worst thing to do.

The power company is being sued and was forced into bankruptcy over all the lawsuits and now they have blackouts that last as long as the wind which could be a few days or over a week. This is to prevent another fire from a downed powerline. The state should make a law protecting the power companies from lawsuits but they don't so parts of CA are now living in the dark ages again from time to time. Kinda ironic when you think about how tech savvy much of CA is. Think Silicone Valley.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Asking the Man for a soaking rain on those fires.
Not to distract from your distress, but Oregon has been experiencing large forest fires the likes we never had when there was good forest management. Then our state government put the kabosh on logging and we are down to harvesting 10% of what we did before. Not too smart, because older trees are less fire, insect and disease resistant. Older trees also absorb less CO2 and give off less oxygen.
I bring this up, wondering if Oz has adopted some of the same crazy policies.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Man I seen that on the news this morning...hope you get a blast of rain or something to help with that...scary sH(*& !!

Be Safe!

Rob

·
Registered
694 Posts
That's a photoshopped image that's been debunked on social media.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
That's a photoshopped image that's been debunked on social media.
Yeah looks that way to me.

This is what BBC and others are using without cranking the image to 11.

Be safe down there mbx.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't know...I don't think all these images on CNN are photo shopped...and isn't the only thing CNN lies about is Trump? LOL

Australia fires

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Holy moly! That sucks! Praying for you all!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
I truly hope the fires will be under control sooner then later... I googlelegoo from DucDuckGo and got some pictures, ouch.....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi MBX, I hope your sister and her place have come through OK. We've been lucky here, so far the closest fire has been about 25 kms away, and my bushfire brigade has not been called out yet. Then again, we only have a Nissan Patrol with 600 litres of water on the back, so turning up to a fire like in your pic with that level of gear doesn't get much done. In weather like this, 37 degree heat, 20% humidity and 90 kph winds, Queensland's Fire & Emergency Services doesn't do a single vehicle response to any reported grass or bushfires, jumping on it with as many crews as possible right from the start. At least they don't until they start running our of volunteer crews, which takes about a week.
Our current situation map: https://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map/Pages/default.aspx can get frightening,. If you click on the fire images you get a sit rep, that shows the number of crews on the scene and on the way. When you see that 40 crews are on the scene, supported by bulldozers and waterbombers, and the report is saying that the fire is out of control, next to a suburban area like at Tewantin last week, you really don't want to get that phone call and be asked if you can put a crew together. That may be a photoshopped image, but that is what they look like in a bad one. The flame can be up to 7 times the height of the fuel, so when there is a crown fire racing through the tops of 100 ft high trees........
Australian eucalypts are a bastard for burning. They are completely fire adapted from 50000 years of indigenous burning. They have a very high flammable oil content, that they exude in very hot weather. A forest of them is a fuel air bomb, waiting for a spark. In many species, the bark detaches easily and burning pieces of it can start spot fires up to 10 km ahead of the fire front. I believe that California has also found all this out the hard way.
At least we had a line of electrical storms that went across SE Queensland this afternoon, dumping some rain and hail. We will be back to high fire danger weather by Wednesday though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts