Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To you have tornados and hurricanes in Australia?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think in the western Pacific and Indian oceans and probably Australia if they occur that far south, hurricanes are called Typhoons.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Cyclones actually, and they rotate in the opposite direction because of the earths magnetic field....I think this also explains why the exact same engine will read more HP/ Torque in northern hemishphere than south.
Oh and while we are on the subject of weather...see pic.
20200211_140258.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
To you have tornados and hurricanes in Australia?
As MBX has said, we regularly get the Australian version of hurricanes, called cyclones off our tropical coasts, both in the East off the state of Queensland and in the West off Western Australia, but destructive tornadoes thrown out by violent storm fronts have been very rare. The outback frequently has much smaller versions locally called willy willies (probably a contraction of whirly whirlies) that start on fine hot days spun up by rising thermals. They rarely cause injuries, although one that lofted a carnival inflatable jumping castle full of kids in South Australia in the 90's did.
There is some concern that full on tornadoes and waterspouts coming ashore are being reported more frequently (still rarely though) and our Bureau of Meteorology is trying to determine if this is a reporting artifact, caused by more people being in more places as our population grows and spreads, or a real increase in frequency.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering. I live in Tornado Alley. We haven't been hit bad in this area since 1970. May the 11 1970 we had 27 deaths, 1,500 injuries and $200 million in damages. There have been a few small towns taken out over the years. We did have a very bad hail storm a few years back. The hail actually beat through the roofs and walls of some homes. I had 27,000 dollars in damages at my place.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was just wondering. I live in Tornado Alley. We haven't been hit bad in this area since 1970. May the 11 1970 we had 27 deaths, 1,500 injuries and $200 million in damages. There have been a few small towns taken out over the years. We did have a very bad hail storm a few years back. The hail actually beat through the roofs and walls of some homes. I had 27,000 dollars in damages at my place.
I was having a beer fuelled late night conversation with a meteorologist round a campfire several years ago, and he tried to explain why Tornado Alley has so many of them and Australia doesn't. He had been drinking too, so it may have been bullshit, but he laid it on the North American continent stretching so much further north to south than Australia, so more opportunities for cold air at high altitude coming down from the Arctic to over run lower altitude warm high humidity air coming up from the Gulf of Mexico, prime tornado forming conditions allegedly. He was the one who mentioned the increased reporting of destructive tornadoes and coast crossing waterspouts here, before he passed out in his swag on the riverbank across the road from the Nindigully pub.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was having a beer fuelled late night conversation with a meteorologist round a campfire several years ago, and he tried to explain why Tornado Alley has so many of them and Australia doesn't. He had been drinking too, so it may have been bullshit, but he laid it on the North American continent stretching so much further north to south than Australia, so more opportunities for cold air at high altitude coming down from the Arctic to over run lower altitude warm high humidity air coming up from the Gulf of Mexico, prime tornado forming conditions allegedly. He was the one who mentioned the increased reporting of destructive tornadoes and coast crossing waterspouts here, before he passed out in his swag on the riverbank across the road from the Nindigully pub.
His explanation is correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts