Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyway to disable this.
did a search on topic found no info.
read the online manual said nothing about holding or tapping button.
this auto cancel is gonna get me killed almost hit by a car turning as my blinker decided to turn off before I got to intersection.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had the same issue and it's become almost predictable. As far as I can tell the turn signals are cancelled based on some combination your throttle input, clutch, shifting, and possibly tilt sensor. The most common spots for them to auto cancel on me is when I get over into the turn lane or if a light turns green as I'm braking and I get off the clutch and roll on the throttle.

It's super annoying and dangerous, but I've learned to check the signal in those situations. I haven't gotten to the point where I want to disable the auto cancel, but I do believe there is a module that controls it which is suppose to be sensitive to the electrical load on the front turn signals, which makes me believe it can be bypassed or removed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Dont know if this will help, but you can hold the button over & the signal will stay on, then immediatly shut off when released.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dont know if this will help, but you can hold the button over & the signal will stay on, then immediatly shut off when released.
+1, if I'm just lane changing on the highway sometimes I'll just hold the button and then release it when I get my lane.

I've also found on the highway if you press release the black button it will stay on for a while if you don't lean too far over when changing lanes.

Sometimes it does turn off before you finish changing lanes, then I'll just press and hold it until I get in that lane.

You just need to get use to how it works and then it's not much of a problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
turn signal cancaling to early

i have noticed this on my 1999 v92sc and i push the turn signal twice right after the first an not 100% sure but it seems to stay on longer food for thought

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have had the same issue and it's become almost predictable. As far as I can tell the turn signals are cancelled based on some combination your throttle input, clutch, shifting, and possibly tilt sensor. The most common spots for them to auto cancel on me is when I get over into the turn lane or if a light turns green as I'm braking and I get off the clutch and roll on the throttle.

It's super annoying and dangerous, but I've learned to check the signal in those situations. I haven't gotten to the point where I want to disable the auto cancel, but I do believe there is a module that controls it which is suppose to be sensitive to the electrical load on the front turn signals, which makes me believe it can be bypassed or removed.
..it seems to me to be more of a tilt sensor. After turning, the blinker stays on unless i jerk the bike upright.. anyone else have that experience??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Turn Signal Auto Cancel

My 2012 Hammer has what appears to be a mercury tilt switch down in front of the back tire. It's a little white box about 1.5" x .5". One could probably just bypass that.

·
13,251 Posts
Tilt sensor would be to kill the bike if you crash or fall over.
I drought very much it has any thing to do with turn signals.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
From the manual of my 08 KingPin.

" If activated below 15mph the turn signals cancel automatically shortyly after speed reaches 15mph."
" If activated at speeds over 15mph cancelation will occur based on distance traveled.
If signal is activated at speeds above 15mph and the vehicle speed drops below 15mph cancellation will occur shortly after speed again reaches 15mph.
"and 15mph is an approximate"

looks like from wiring diagrams its directly related to the speed of vehicle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tilt sensor would be to kill the bike if you crash or fall over.
I drought very much it has any thing to do with turn signals.
You're right, a mercury tilt sensor would only work if the bike is not moving and tipped over, otherwise the g load is always down (with respect to the bike). There would need to be an accelerometer in the auto cancel module to detect a lean or direction change. The engineer in me really wants to know exactly how Victory has it programmed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Jackstraw , OkieHoss is right, from the 02-04 service manual it states that " turn signals automatically cancel upon vehicle speed. Turn signals will not automatically cancel when the vehicle is not moving. Signals flash for a longer period of time when the vehicle is moving slow and a shorter period of time when the vehicle is moving fast. Test the turn signal auto cancel function at higher speeds where the signal time is relatively short." also " the auto cancel unit receives input from the turn signal switch. Holding the turn signal switch in the left or right turn position will continuously reset the turn signal flasher and it will not auto cancel" The auto cancel unit is located under the right side frame cover . The turn signal and hazard signal systems utilize the same non-serviceable flasher relay which is built into the auto cancel unit. So it goes, the unit is non serviceable good luck with the timing of your turn signals hold the button if you need it on for extended periods Good luck - mike :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm an Electrical Engineer and have designed a circuit to override the auto-cancel. I'm with you, I've had too many close calls due to the signal shutting off well before it was designed to. Mine shuts off after 5 flashes often enough to cause serious concern.... I plan to do the modification this spring. If you're interested, I'll let you know how it goes and give you instructions when I'm done. Let me know.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Turn signals are one of the few things that I have not had problems with on this bike. Occasionally they will stay on a little to long, but that's it.

·
13,251 Posts
anyway to disable this.
this auto cancel is gonna get me killed almost hit by a car turning as my blinker decided to turn off before I got to intersection.
Best thing is to read owners book again there tricky but once you get the hang of them there ok not great but ok. Read the book and there is always hand signals

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think the auto cancel is too short as well. I end up hitting my turn signal at least twice to compensate. Once when I normally would and again close to when I am getting ready to start the turn. If the turn or merge lane is really long I end up hitting the turn signal 3 or 4 times.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I think the auto cancel is too short as well. I end up hitting my turn signal at least twice to compensate. Once when I normally would and again close to when I am getting ready to start the turn. If the turn or merge lane is really long I end up hitting the turn signal 3 or 4 times.
+1 (same for me)

·
Registered
25 Posts
BeoBob,
Mine was fine until a few months ago. Keep your fingers crossed the quirk doesn't find your bike too... I will disable the auto-cancel in the spring... it will cost me $30 and 1/2 day labor... If anyone's interested, I'll be happy to share once I get it working.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
anyway to disable this.
If you're depending on your blinking light to allow you to turn into oncoming traffic you'll get killed sooner or later anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts