Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you're depending on your blinking light to allow you to turn into oncoming traffic you'll get killed sooner or later anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
True dat. I been following this thread for a couple days over coffee. Morning ritual and all that. Finally! Lance reminds us of the baseline and Visionjohny notes the ultimate option for indicating a lane change "there is always hand signals".

If Pop were smart enough to even consider being an electrical engineer I could see myself using that particular skill set to delve into the intricacies of the Victory elebdruhkle system. But, grunt that I am, I don't imagine that my future includes committing a part of a days labor to tweaking my blinkers. I push the button, she blink. I push them both, she no blink. I'm like... done.

Vive la dif though. Good luck with that there quest to improve the operational characteristics of turn signals.

If OTOH you guys ever get a wild hair to really make Pops day electrically, come up with a solution to that POS fuel gauge and it's penchant for lying about what is left in the tank. My turn signal lights do both accurately, light and signal turns. My fuel gauge does not, gauge fuel that is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd much rather be inconvenienced having to reinstate the signal rather than "forgetting" (suffer from CRS) to manually shut the signal off after turning.
A mistakenly left on signal confuses surrounding drivers and can lead to someone cutting into your path facilitating a crash.:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I signal as a courtesy and hand signal too, but I'm not asking permission... I'm telling others what I'm going to do. The way I ride I am seldom worried about being hit from behind. If I have to turn where there's no turn lane, I will put some distance between me and the traffic behind me before I get to the turn and get off the road quickly. I watch my mirrors to make sure the car behind is aware of what's happenning if they are close to me. I don't count on anyone seeing my signal anyway. I assume I'm invisible... because most times it seems that way.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Coming from a harley, this single switch thing will be the hardest thing to get used to. I've hit my horn and activated my hazard blinkers a few times now by mistake, and the scoot only has less than 30 miles on it yet. :eek: duh! I have to admit I miss a switch on each side for signals.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I didn't even know the bike had this function until I noticed it happening, I appreciate all the info here... I should have read my manual I guess.

It is a GOOD function to have since forgetting to turn the damn things off has been a motorcycle problem since the inception of forgetful humans.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just make sure your blinker fluid is full before you go for a ride and you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Just make sure your blinker fluid is full before you go for a ride and you should be fine.
Gotta go read that manual, who knew there was 'blinker fluid', P.S. where's the valve to inflate my seat, it could use a little air.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good luck finding the "blinker fluid"... I think BeoBob is pulling your leg... The seat inflation valve is under the right side cover. Careful filling it. It's very low pressure so it fills very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
(Inflate shocks?) I found that one.

I'm still looking for the one to inflate the seat.... and the electronic handlebar angle adjustment lever.

There's so much to learn.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just finished designing a circuit and installed it last weekend. The only way to cancel my signal now is with my thumb. What a dream ;-). If you're interested, let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
holmge - I am VERY interested. Can you send me a PM please ! Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry for a stupid question, but what is PM?...

My wife and I are headed to Americade this week... Let me know how handy you consider yourself. Installation takes splicing some wires and ordering and assembling some circuits from Newark.com... If you need me to do some of the parts assembly for you, let's talk.

Send me a phone number and we'll chat... or let me know if you plan to be at Americade this week.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If you're depending on your blinking light to allow you to turn into oncoming traffic you'll get killed sooner or later anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
If you are counting on ANYONE... EVER... seeing your signals, you're screwin' up.

I assume at all times that I am completely invisible until I can tell that the other driver has seen me by his actions.

Accelerate to put some space between me and traffic behind me... Turn on blinker... hand signal... All the while assuming they can't see me at all... I will make my turn if/when I can tell it is safe to do so. If I can't tell I'll go past my turn, make a U-turn when it's safe and come back. It's not worth dying over making your turn.

If the signal shuts off, you can turn it right back on with a flick of your thumb... If you hold the button over it will flash until you release the button... It helps to be smarter than a switch.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I just finished designing a circuit and installed it last weekend. The only way to cancel my signal now is with my thumb. What a dream ;-). If you're interested, let me know.
Now you can forget to cancel it and do a 27 mile turn signal test while driving the other people on the road nuts...

People who ride bikes without self-cancelling signals want them... People like you have them and disable them... There is just no pleasing folks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
holmge - PM is a Private Message. Look near the upper right hand corner of the screen where it says your username, you should be able to click on Private Message there.

I am not going to Americade, but I will send you my cell # in a private message. I am a civil engineer, not an electrical engineer, but I drag raced for 12 years and have wired them from scratch - so I should be able to figure it out. Thanks !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Half_Crazy,
For clarity, I would LOVE to have auto-cancel... I rode a Harley and was thrilled with their implementation. I just don't like the defective design by Victory... I got a description of the intended algorithm from Victory... My bike was not performing to the intended algorithm. Since my premature cancels were intermittent (note: my bike canceled after 5 flashes regularly, but not always), Victory was very evasive. Since Victory would not fix it, I had no choice but to fix it or wait for someone to rear-end me... Hopefully they will get enough complaints about premature auto-cancels to want to fix it...

PA_Vegas, Thanks for pointing me at the PM section of this forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Auto-cancel is really very simple. If you are riding along and decide to lane change, the auto-cancel will work on a timer of about 30 seconds. Actually there is a feature that if you hold the turn signal direction while wanting to lane change, the signal will stop when you release the switch. If you do not hold the switch but instead use it to start the logic, it will either stop flashing after about 30 seconds or will see you drop below 15 MPH and then return to over 15 MPH. Think of that as the logical equivalent of actually making a turn.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oldman47,
I agree auto-cancel should be as simple as you describe. My bike (and my dealer tells me other bikes) have a flaw which intermittently shuts off the signal after 5 seconds (note: and it's not when accelerating through ~15mph). This is a flaw Victory has done nothing about. If my bike worked as you described, I would be much happier with my Victory.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts