Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me its getting more and more difficult staying safe on the highway these days . People texting and driving , drifting into my lane , tailgating me , reading the newspaper at highway speeds , the list goes on . Now when I leave for work in the mornings its pitch black out the whole way in , leading to even more danger , soon to be dark on the way home too . These people are fucking scaring me . Not sure what to do other then start commuting in the cage from now on , I don't even see any other bikes on the road anymore , guess they are all put away for the season ....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It seems to me its getting more and more difficult staying safe on the highway these days . People texting and driving , drifting into my lane , tailgating me , reading the newspaper at highway speeds , the list goes on . ..
Thats because no one does anything about it most of the time. Texting is a big one, but the laws are not stiff enough for it. Make the fine way more, or treat it like a dwi and suspend your license. That will get a good number of people to quit doing it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were an unmarked cop , there wouldn't be enough time in the day for how many people I would be bagging .... Its illegal to text and drive in MA with a 100.00 fine , but it is not enforced .

·
Registered
352 Posts
I generally dont take my bike to work ....dont like it sitting in the parking lot for 10-12 hours .....

But you are grossly playing down the amount of people who text and drive ...... Its an epidemic that will most certainly help reduce the over population issue in the very near future .....

I just pray someone I love or know is one of them.

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, a $100, that'll make them stop.
The key is enforcement , you get pulled over and get that ticket for 100.00 , then your insurance goes up 150.00 for the next 6 years ... Would make me think twice if I was one of these ASSHOLES texting and driving . But alas , its not enforced .:mad:

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Here in Ontario they increased the fine and included demerit points, and still people are doing it at an alarming rate.
I was in the State of New York last month and there were all these pullover ramps along the side of the highway saying "Texting Area".
You simply pull off, do your texting or phone calls then pull back onto the highway.
But the one thing that I saw that totally impressed me was another sign that said "3 Texting Infractions - Lose Your License".
I bet that would stop a few people up here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I work on the roads every day and usually have a police officer with us all the time. I have NEVER seen any of them issue a ticket to a driver with a cell phone in their hands and that's pretty much every driver on the road these days. No enforcement of the law doesn't prevent anything

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
All we can do is mitigate the risks by wearing bright colors, like a white helmet and a hi-viz vest with reflective material. To your bike, add attention getting lighting front and rear. Ride with a safety cushion all around you and don't hang in blind spots like off the rear quarter of a car. Keep your eyes moving side to side and never fix your gaze for more than a second. Don't think; concentrate. Possibly , others can add to this list, but these are my basics. Yes, its a lot tougher to stay safe these days.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Distracted driving laws do about as much to prevent accidents as guns laws do to prevent gun violence......That would be not very much

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Distracted driving laws do about as much to prevent accidents as guns laws do to prevent gun violence......That would be not very much
now theres an idea!...shoot the txters....only way theyre gonna stop!
Its an epidemic for sure

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I ride into work in the morning @ 5:30 A.M. , I am surrounded by cages . 4 lane highway for roughly 30 miles . If I can get in the high speed lane I just try to rocket through , but when I get stuck somewhere in the middle its truly no mans land ....

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
It seems to me its getting more and more difficult staying safe on the highway these days . People texting and driving , drifting into my lane , tailgating me , reading the newspaper at highway speeds , the list goes on . Now when I leave for work in the mornings its pitch black out the whole way in , leading to even more danger , soon to be dark on the way home too . These people are fucking scaring me . Not sure what to do other then start commuting in the cage from now on , I don't even see any other bikes on the road anymore , guess they are all put away for the season ....
Yeah agree 100%- here it's really bad. Every 2nd cager is looking at their phone while driving, and sorry to be sexist, almost every young female is looking at their phone while driving- I take note coz I got hit by one bout 7 years ago, late for a wedding.
I leave for work early, at the same time as tradies and builders, and in the seasons that it's still dark, they light their faces like cigarettes with their cell phones.....
Man I'd love to be a CHIP- I'd be booking all of them.

·
13,185 Posts
Last year in Mn. they issued over 3000 tickets for texting.
For the life of me these dumb ass politician don't pass a law hands free period. If you can afford a $300 dollar phone you should be able to spend a $100 bucks on a hands free device. I guess till one of them lose a loved one they just don't care what happens on the roads. Or there chauffeur doesn't text.
I;m scared to ride in the city's at any rush hour time

·
Registered
586 Posts
All we can do is mitigate the risks by wearing bright colors, like a white helmet and a hi-viz vest with reflective material. To your bike, add attention getting lighting front and rear. Ride with a safety cushion all around you and don't hang in blind spots like off the rear quarter of a car. Keep your eyes moving side to side and never fix your gaze for more than a second. Don't think; concentrate. Possibly , others can add to this list, but these are my basics. Yes, its a lot tougher to stay safe these days.
Just got my white full face helmet to replace the red one and bought an ICON mil-spec vest to wear in congested or freeway conditions. Good advice.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I work on the roads every day and usually have a police officer with us all the time. I have NEVER seen any of them issue a ticket to a driver with a cell phone in their hands and that's pretty much every driver on the road these days. No enforcement of the law doesn't prevent anything
I often see police officer driving down the road keying in information in their computers and often they are on their own cell phones. WTF.
Here it is a $124 fine.

I don't think passing another law is going to accomplish anything nor is it a direction that motorcyclists to encourage society to go in.

If they start to outlaw unsafe activities that might get you or others killed while on the highway I'm sure that one of the first things outlawed will be motorcycles. They really are unsafe in an accident with any other vehicle. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Hitting a fly with a fly swatter gives a pretty good indication of the out come of an accident with a car.
When on a bike your the fly.
Be careful what you ask for.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
The world is grossly over populated... Shitty way to thin the herd but it needs to happen. It would be much better if it wasn't so risky for us on 2 wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
The world is grossly over populated... Shitty way to thin the herd but it needs to happen. It would be much better if it wasn't so risky for us on 2 wheels.
10 billion by 2050!!!

We are farked!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
10 billion by 2050!!!

We are farked!
Lol
Don't think you have to worry too much.
Mother nature is up to the task.
Just watched her thin a mismanaged national forest with a wildfire that consumed a couple of billion dollars of timber which the government couldn't be bothered to take proper care of. One day it was there a week later it was ash. Everyone stood by helplessly and watched. There was no stopping it. It was pretty awesome really.

I'm sure there is some new disease, famine, tsunami, or earthquake right around the corner that will do a bang up job of putting a lot people on the wrong side of the lawn. Seen any dinosaurs lately?:wink

If not that way, governments seem to be pretty good at killing their own out right for the good of their people. Last count I read was from 1900 to 2000 they killed off 100,000,000 of their own excluding wars. Then there is always the waging of wars with the same outcome.

All and all I feel really lucky to be alive to type this.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts