Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Might be a good deal but DANG, that's a LOT of fine print. Some of the potential pitfalls of this warranty are:
1) You must register your tires and keep good records
2) You must have the tires installed by a dealer and get dealer signatures on various paperwork
3) You must return an offending tire to Avon (Avon says they will reimburse you for the shipping)
4) You must buy another Avon tire to replace the offending Avon tire before they will consider giving you any warranty money
5) Like batteries, the warranty is pro-rated so you don't get all your money back if the tire lasts less than 15K miles.
6) Others

Here is the warranty site: Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America » Mileage Warranty

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the takeaway is they have developed a long mileage tire and are confident enough to warranty them.

This could have been done years ago and there is still plenty of room for improvement such as run flat tires and much higher mileage tires. If they can make a 90k tire for cars they can make a 25k mile tire for bikes. It's a simple matter of having the tougher rubber in the middle and softer on the sides which they already do.

It's a pain to change tires and expensive. To do it less often is a blessing in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Now that is good info, if the price is right .... Whouw ..... Subscribed to see the results

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
could be worth a try when I need tyres.
Just had a Night Dragon fitted to the front
Still got the V-Rod Dunlop D207 on the rear going well.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
As Vinish noted there are too many outs. One not noted that they use on cars is that the wear must be even on all tires. Too much off of the rear and they can say the wear is due to aggressive driving. Not covered.

If you are prepared to have them mounted by the dealer and keep track of all your pressure checks, and anything else they deem necessary and the tire wears out very fast then there may be some benefit. If all goes well and you wear it out just a little bit early then you'll be getting a credit for what's left of the wear towards a new tire at the manufacturer suggested retail price. Five or ten dollars towards another set of their tires.

It's advertising. Better to wait for a sale and get a better deal.

By the way, one item I did pick out of their information is they recommend tires be used prior to five years after manufacture and removed at seven years since manufacture. Age of tires on all vehicles has been a long-standing problem and this is one of the few times I've seen a manufacturer actually put it in print in the USA. Europeans have been noting if for quite a few years. It's been shown that some well-known retailers are installing tires that are past their prime. E.com sites stockpiling tires they bought may be in the same boat. For your own safety, understand what you are getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRe0gy7oeM8

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
One other thing to note for those of you who don't put a lot of miles on the bike per year is that the Avon warranty is only good for two years. If you put on 3000 miles a year... first and foremost, you should be riding more :) but as for the warranty, it is only good for two years even though you have only 6000 miles on the tires. If the tread is at the wear bars at 2 years and 1 month and the mileage is 6200 miles.... fuggeddabboutit...you won't be getting any checks in the mail from Avon.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Yeah, tire warranties are pretty much usless, but the fact that they offer it shows some confidence in their tread life. BTW, I didn't see if these were any different than the Cobras they have sold in the past. New tread compound, or new marketing? I hope the former since the last 2 Cobras on the rear only lasted around 7K miles each (to tread bar, not bald). I'm dark side now, but would go back to the Avons in a heartbeat if they last considerably longer than the past tires.

·
Registered
347 Posts
MMmmmm.. Around here I'll believe it if I see it... While people brag about how many miles they are getting on their rubber, I seem to be getting a substantial amount less.

Up in these Arizona Mountains the sun cooks the road surfaces during the summer but then, also, the surface is so aggressive due to ice in the mountains during the winter and the speeds being so... :smile acceptable :smile .. thousands of miles of interstate travel..

Just wears 'em down faster than a cheese grater.. :frown

Never can seem to get the average lifespan out of a set of tires.. They resemble a car tire at 7k..

Nah.. In the twisties I prize grip more than wear-ability.. It'll be interesting to hear what people say about them though.. Hard wearing rubber - there's usually downsides to it.. But.. I'll reserve judgement..

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Ive priced em in Oz and theyre a lot dearer so youre paying for the mileage... No way Id get that sorta mileage anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
how do you like the night dragon .......does it hook up?
yeah..grip is great..as the expense of wear of course.
Im finding the180/55/18 D207 rear bites well accelerating hard out of a corner too and close on $100 cheaper!
Im guessing it'll go about as far as a Night Dragon in mileage, let you'se know how many when it gets to the wear indicators

Reactions: Octavian

·
Registered
426 Posts
Have them on my Vegas. They seem like a good tire. No way I will ever put that amount of miles on them before the tires go out of date. Was happy with the price I paid for them and they feel good to me on the road.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Have them on my Vegas. They seem like a good tire. No way I will ever put that amount of miles on them before the tires go out of date. Was happy with the price I paid for them and they feel good to me on the road.
you talkin the Avons or Pirellis ,Phil ?

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you talkin the Avons or Pirellis ,Phil ?
I think he's talking about the Avons because he mentions them going out of date. I think he means the warranty date.

Just stumbled on a great buy on two 90 degree valve stems. $15.96 at the time of this writing. This may have been posted elsewhere but just in case someone missed it...

BikeMaster Valve Stems - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
426 Posts
I put the Avons on. The feel really good to me. This is my first big bike though. The only comparisons I have are the out of date stockers I replaced. They were pretty aged and hard. So a comparison is impossible.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I put the Avons on. The feel really good to me. This is my first big bike though. The only comparisons I have are the out of date stockers I replaced. They were pretty aged and hard. So a comparison is impossible.
cool!...let us know how they go...Ride Safe!
You'll be Victory addicted in no time at all:smile

·
Registered
426 Posts
You have no idea. I am 51 and all my life dreamed of having a big bike. When the time came for some reason I just didn't want a Harley. Nothing against them. Just wanted something different. Then I found Victory and had to have 1. Found my Vegas in pretty much perfect shape for 6K. Had 4K miles on it a few months ago. I have never felt so right on any vehicle in my life. I guess I am weird but I feel like it was made for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts