Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Put a set of Cobra's on my XC this season. These skins, without a doubt, stick like glue. I put them through hundreds of miles of twisties in W.Va, in all kinds of conditions and they never flinched.
That said, I have ~4k miles on them already(I don't know how I ride as much as I do ..lol) and the rear is wearing pretty fast. I've been running pressures at 42/42 psi.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
PaiN , 4 K and already showing wear ? That SUCKS . This is the last thing I want to hear , I have the same skins .....

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
PaiN , 4 K and already showing wear ? That SUCKS . This is the last thing I want to hear , I have the same skins .....
I know bro....unfortunately, these Avons are a single compound tread which leans toward performance not longevity.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
FWIW, here's my Avon Cobra history on the XCT.

Front:

Installed at 9,400 miles, new one put on at 27,400. So, I got 18,000 miles on that front. Second front still fine (have about 6,000 miles on it, i.e., about 33,000 miles on the bike now, and just did a second track day on the current set of tires two weeks ago).

Rear:

Installed at 9,400 miles, new one put on at 18,900 and another new one put on at 27,400. So, I'm getting about 9,000 miles per rear tire.

BUT:

I tend to get tire changes at the start of a season, to get it over and done with. Thus, the longevity is greater than I get, because I don't want to be bothered trying to get the absolute longest I can get out of tires, if that would mean interfering with the middle of a riding season.

I run the tires at 40/42 F/R these days, although earlier on I was running them at 38/42.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
FWIW, here's my Avon Cobra history on the XCT.

Front:

Installed at 9,400 miles, new one put on at 27,400. So, I got 18,000 miles on that front. Second front still fine (have about 6,000 miles on it, i.e., about 33,000 miles on the bike now, and just did a second track day on the current set of tires two weeks ago).

Rear:

Installed at 9,400 miles, new one put on at 18,900 and another new one put on at 27,400. So, I'm getting about 9,000 miles per rear tire.

BUT:

I tend to get tire changes at the start of a season, to get it over and done with. Thus, the longevity is greater than I get, because I don't want to be bothered trying to get the absolute longest I can get out of tires, if that would mean interfering with the middle of a riding season.

I run the tires at 40/42 F/R these days, although earlier on I was running them at 38/42.
From the look of my Avons, I expect about the same. I ride ~9-10k miles per season, I should be able to replace the rear each year and the front every other year. I definitely want to keep running on these Cobras.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
I went with a 240 version on my Hammer because I wanted better handling and I can't say enough good things about this tire. The bike handles like it's at least 100 lb lighter. It's fantastic!

But... I have read that it wears quiet quickly, I have seen 4-6k miles of life being reported by other owners, so it's probably a trade-off for being so nice and sticky.

In the end, I think you have to look realistically at how much you actually ride and whether better handling or longer thearwear is more important to you. My hammer is my 2nd bike, so I will always take better handling over longevity. But that's just me. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
All this talk of sticky rubber on bikes that scrape on roundabouts and anything that even looks like a bend in the road.
I've had a stock E3 Dunlop 18 inches on the front of my Vegas for 14,000kms which is by far the best mileage (kilometerage don't sound right)
I've ever gotten, (8-9000kms out of Nightdragons)
14,000kms and it's almost at the TWIs on lhs, I tend to corner harder to the left for some reason....
14,000 kms of hard riding on abrasive Aussie roads and never put a foot out of bed.
Even grains up nicely on the sides.
That's running in conjunction with almost 2 rear Nightdragons,
I wouldn't hesitate to go with another Dunlop E3 again if the price was right, not paying dealer prices.
Super sticky rubber may be warranted on a Ducati or an R1 but on a bike that drags pegs exhausts and frame rails through bends it could be a touch of overkill.
Got pirelli sport demons on the Kwaka Gpz900r at the moment and both front and rear tyres cost same as one rear night dragon.
The Kwaka takes bends at double the speed of the Vegas and I'm still 1/4" from the edge on the lhs of the sport demons.
Cross bikes have better ground clearance than a Vegas so may warrant sticky tyres but the front E3 I'm talking about came off a brand new XC
It's all a mind over matter thing I reckon.
And I've ridden on some shitty tyres on evil handling bikes before, try Avon Roadrunners on an old XS650 Yamaha at speed and you'll know adrenalin rushes.
It's all in the mind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
2900 miles on my Avon cobra and just hit the wear bar! Got 4400 miles out of the stock Dunlop! The cobra handles great but 2000 of those miles where straight up riding no fast take offs the other 900 well? That being said I am a big guy 350lbs. I did no burnouts! Still I should get better mileage! Fyi 2010 kingpin. I don't know what tire to replace the cobra with!

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
2900 miles on my Avon cobra and just hit the wear bar! Got 4400 miles out of the stock Dunlop! The cobra handles great but 2000 of those miles where straight up riding no fast take offs the other 900 well? That being said I am a big guy 350lbs. I did no burnouts! Still I should get better mileage! Fyi 2010 kingpin. I don't know what tire to replace the cobra with!
Finally someone from the States that gets worse mileage than me!
It's comforting..... For me anyway.
Are you running 2-3 lbs extra air?
That state you're in must have abrasive roads similar to Australia.
How fast do you cruise at?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Avons

I run the Avons on my XR. Been doing it every since the stock Dunlops wore out. Just remember riding the Dunlops in the rain, not so sure footed to me personally. The Avons are made by people who live in the rain much of their lives(GB), so I figure they ought to make tyres that ride and stick descent in the rain. When I ride in the rain with the Avons on my CrossRoads I feel much more convident in the turns and the bike seems to stick much better. So they may not last quite as long, but to me the bike feels much more sure footed on dry pavement and in the rain. Bike has almost 40,000 miles on it now. Second bike I have ran Avons on. ......Some people have very good luck with the Michelins, but I have not tried them yet.:ride:....Oh yes also if you want to make a rear tire last you can always switch over to the dark side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will not deny that my bike rides like it is on a rail with the cobra's front and rear! I figure I spend 5% or less time riding in the rain so I can just slow down and be careful! I need a little better mileage than 3000.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have Metzlers on front & rear (280mm) of my Jackpot. Two thumbs up to the Metzlers. thumb up thumb up

I also had Metzlers on my Maico MX bike and never switched brands. I stick to a brand that works and is reliable on many fronts. Only other brand I might consider would be Continental but not sure if they offer sizes for the Jackpot.

I had Dunlops once on my dirt bike and they lasted maybe 2 summers in the dirt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts