Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok just shy of 8000 miles on my cobra , at about 2/32 tread in the center but i noticed that it looks like im getting into that "next layer" of rubber, anyone else have this, this generally shows up when there is no tread left. good thing i have a new tire on order anyway, not bashing the avon by no means, love the tire, just mostly curious.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Never saw that kind of center ware before, looks like a strip of rubber peeled off....:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess what made me think about it is that the tread is almost gone anyway, and it just showed up in the last 30 or so miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
I don't think the Cobra is a duel compound.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
ok just shy of 8000 miles on my cobra , at about 2/32 tread in the center but i noticed that it looks like im getting into that "next layer" of rubber, anyone else have this, this generally shows up when there is no tread left. good thing i have a new tire on order anyway, not bashing the avon by no means, love the tire, just mostly curious.

2/32 is a 1/16 :D

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I've used Avon Venom bias-ply gyres on several previous bikes, and really liked them, so I tried a set of Avons on my XCT. Venoms were either not available in the right size, or maybe not in radials -- I don't remember which -- so I put on Avon Cobras. They lasted 7,500 miles only. Tire life is not my highest concern when choosing a tire, but 7,500 miles was just too short. I can't be spending time putting on new tires every few months. I went back to the stock Dunlop E3, which gets me about 10,000 miles. I know other riders get more miles out of them, but that's the way it is with me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
vindex1963 said:
2/32 is a 1/16
2/32" & 4/32" is the unit of measure that the DOT uses to state when a drive or steer tire is at its maximum allowable wear. For whatever reason the government can't comprehend what 1/16" & 1/8" is on a ruler.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Sorry to hear that Avon Cobras are not lasting past 8k. I guess since they are fairly new to our bikes we are seeing what kind of tire they are. I know they handle superb out of the box and every one reports excellent dry and wet traction but I agree with Ahouzer. 7500 t0 8k is to short a life span. Just might be going back to E3 MT this time.

Hopefully some other Avon cobra users will chime in and give reason to go with them.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2/32 is a 1/16 :D

haha yes, but on my tread depth gauge its 2/32. i would run another cobra but im going to a ct, the cobra performed very well, so much better then the bumflop. and i am not sure if its a dual tread or not i will call them today after work. and i run 38-40 in the rear, it rides good there, and the contact patch seems fine. not sure i would want more air but may be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just got off the phone with an avon tech, yep tire is done for , he said to run 44psi in the rear 42 psi in front due to tire design. so front will go to 42 and rear will be getting swapped as soon as my new one shows up.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the Avon Cobras on my Cross Country Tour and right now they have 10,000 miles on them with plenty of tread left on the rear tire.

I have run mine from day one with 44 PSI in the rear and 42 PSI in the front.

I am looking at 18,000 out of the rear tire before deciding if it can go farther.

I got 16,700 out of the factory Dunlop E3 tires but the rear was pretty used up and squared off. I could have gotten 18,000 to 18,500 out of the E3 but just never did like the feel of them.

These Avon Cobras are wearing far better than the Dunlop E3's that came on the bike did.

·
13,254 Posts
me metzler front is done for 17 on it and its done for

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
I'm at 7,048 on my Vegas with Avon Cobra tires and they look to be maybe 1/2 used up but I'm 90% freeway not accelerating/braking stop light to stop light.
I run 40 front and back checking it every week cold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts