Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed grips with the addition of the 1/4 throttle ring on my Magnum and when I close up the switch clamshell tight it restricts the throttle from snapping back. I have heard rumors of shaving the opening on the lid in some cases. Is this typical on this grip design or am I missing something?
Any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You have the return cable too tight , its not in the housing ....

·
Registered
51 Posts
You have the return cable too tight , its not in the housing ....
Correct, I just installed Avon grips and the 1/4 ring a few months ago. I had to loosen the throttle cable to get it to snap back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the switch cover lid loose it snaps back perfect but when I apply pressure squeezing the clamshell closed it doesn't snap back. Still think it's a tight cable??

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
With the switch cover lid loose it snaps back perfect but when I apply pressure squeezing the clamshell closed it doesn't snap back. Still think it's a tight cable??
Yes , or its not situated in the groove properly , I guarantee its the cables ... I have done over a half dozen installs of the ring with all different grips , NEVER had one binding in the housing , not even close. Make sure you put the correct plastic Avon adapter on the grip too ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for some clarification. I'll loosen them a tad tonight.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I found that the plastic elbows on both the push and pull cables (under the switch housing lower cover plate) where making slight contact with the now larger OD of the throttle tube with the 1/4 turn throttle ring installed, interfering with the smooth operation of the throttle. I took the plastic elbows and ground off a little bit, just enough to ensure clearance and free throttle operation. I noticed when I tightened down the switch housing halves the throttle would start to bind slightly even with plenty of free play in the cables, and the binding would go away when I loosened the switch housing screws.

Tech23

1 - 7 of 7 Posts