Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I had my bike running tonight to charge it up and let it get warm. well I noticed I have an oil leak, looks to be the cam/valve cover. anyone had to make this repair? I want cams and would like to go in once, but I cant float them now. I already have a trip planned for june, headed to the dragon, bout 1500-2000 mile trip. is something like what I have, something I can let go and just keep clean? or should I get right to it?

looks just like the picture 3/4 of the way around, ive never noticed it before tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I would probably get it fixed. If it is just leaking by the cam cover gasket (I assume there is one) then it shouldn't be hard to fix.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have seen many bikes where the oil level was too high and it blew the excess into the air box. From the air box on a Vision or Cross bike it can leak past the throttle body seal and drip down on the motor.

So it looks like a bad oil leak, but in fact is a simple clean-up procedure. I've never had to fix a leaky valve cover (but it could of course happen) but I've had about 1-2 bikes a year with over full oil leaking down on the motor.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have seen many bikes where the oil level was too high and it blew the excess into the air box. From the air box on a Vision or Cross bike it can leak past the throttle body seal and drip down on the motor.

So it looks like a bad oil leak, but in fact is a simple clean-up procedure. I've never had to fix a leaky valve cover (but it could of course happen) but I've had about 1-2 bikes a year with over full oil leaking down on the motor.
ill check that out, although I do the oil change every spring so it shouldn't be overfull. At least it was fine all last summer. I do start it at least once a month during the winter and let it get warm, might have some blowby adding to the level. would the motor need to be dropped to get that cover off?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I haven't checked your bike- but the specs for my Judge say 5 qts. While the manual
says change it with 4.5 qts max.

·
Registered
784 Posts

I have had this "leak' too. Look under the left cheese wedge and find the hose. Then make sure they are all connected, Do this after you check your oil. Oh BTW, mine was literally half a cup (4 oz) over filled. Didn't really show on the stick before or after, but that was what solved the problem.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
+1 on all this.

Judge Redd, that 5-qt capacity in your manual should only be for a dry motor. As in never been started.

Also, when I service I actually put in a couple ounces less than the 4.5-qt spec just to be safe. Picked up the habit on my Vulcan because they were notorious for belching oil into the air box if they were overfull the slightest

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yep. This was back when I did my first change just before winter break.. I poured em in there, and there you go... Obviously a bit annoyed with the resulting overfill. So I pumped some back out, and it's good.

On a related note- some oil must stay somewhat trapped in the cooler. I noted that a tipping of the bike ( after initial draining) resulted in a larger than expected amount to come pouring out..

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the replies, ill look into the oil level tonight if I get a chance. looked it over real good last night and don't remember seeing any oil higher than the seam of the cover.

another question, does anyone know if you get cams from Lloyds do they come with all the gaskets youll need?

·
Registered
203 Posts
You only get the cams nothing more nothing less....tail of dragon huh...I bet an under drive pulley would be fun for that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts