Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I made it through the gauntlet yesterday. ALMOST caved and had the Tour Cams installed in addition to the upgrade to the PCV and the dyno tune but after discussing my daily riding habits with Lloyd, going over all my options (and I just committed to installing the cams adding about 900 to my bill yesterday) Lloyd provide the info needed to get me where I wanted to be on low end torque, good HP, a bike that is well tuned getting 42-43 mpg on HWY.

The ride up to Lloydz was a blast with Mr. Chips on his XCT who got the tour cams installed among other things. The experience at lloydz was above what I even thought. Loaned us his truck for a run down to the motorcycle museum. A great ONE DAY event in itself. Did a drive by on OCC and got to have the dyno explained in detail as well as watch it get dailed in. Like Brett said, it was almost like family up there. Great group of folks including Bo the dog.

What I had going in:
Ness Big Honkers - Lloyd said will cost you a little on lower end
Upper 2nd fliter - First thing I added to bike
Performance Front filter - May not have needed it but...
ATS wheel set at +5
Dunlop CT mud/snow run flat - Definitely costing me some top end HP
VFC-III (I have the settings somewhere and its for sale)

What I had done:
PCV
Lloyds Adjustable Intake
1/4 turn throttle ring
Dyno tuned

My goal was low end torque, not get into the motor more than the ATS and keep my decent MPG. What I got was a friggin well tuned torque on demand monster! You hit it, it is there and I love it! Best part is staying at 1K to do this part of the mods. The dyno was very interesting as I seen as much as a 15% difference between the front and rear cans fuel requirements... I was shocked! The bike behaves just like you would want, got the front end off the ground twice during the post mod ride. Did not expect that. Bottom line, you better hang on. While my HP curve is lower than hoped, im fairly convinced my CT is eating some of that up but look at where she is coming in on her torque and that is what I was after. You don't have time to look at the tach before it hits. The sound of the engine and exhaust changed dramatically, sounds friggin NASCAR now! lmao. Im happy is about all I can say. Will I do the cams or do I have regrets? Nope. The money saved is going into the TC.

Bottom line, those that are nervous about getting inside the motor to do cams or on more of a budget, you have an option!

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nice.Now I have something to go by when I get another bike.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did, he said 4-5 and I ride another 1000 at 5 with it doing very well. No ping, quick low end and good acceleration all gears all speeds. I guess the thing to keep in mind here according to loyd is the wheel adjust the timing and injection both where as the PCV was advancing timing only. So far my daily riding and itchy throttle wrist is yielding 43mpg to boot. Bike is handling great with the tune. Starting to focus on the TCs plans now.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I didn't think of both ignition and cam timing. That makes me feel much better about doing the wheel as I got bad pinging advancing via the PCV only.

Winter is coming so I'll add that to my list of ToDo's.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm at +5 before the dyno and zero ping. Eventually I will quit cracking the throttle and find out if I'm better than 42mpg locally. But those on ramps are so fun now!love merging traffic!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O2s unhooked

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Hey Tim, gimme a call now. We gotta talk about that VFCIII I'm getting.
RicZ

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Tim,
I just got back from picking up my new Vision. I love it, but it could definitely use more low end torque.

I don't have much budget at all. So, my question to you is this, is the timing wheel the most effective thing for the low end gains?

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Hi Tim,
I just got back from picking up my new Vision. I love it, but it could definitely use more low end torque.

I don't have much budget at all. So, my question to you is this, is the timing wheel the most effective thing for the low end gains?
Show me another performance improvement that will do the same or better for the same price or more or less.thumb up

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With out a doubt. 2nd upper filter is a must IMHO. I started at +4 and went up to 6 but settled on 5. The key point to me on the ATS is it advances timing and fuel injection point both.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Go for it Ricz. The adjustable timing wheel is a great improvement for my bike, and so far is my only performance mod.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Ok guys...I know I'm about 6 months behind y'all but I have a '12 VV with the performance air filter and the thrush muffler mod. I'm adding a fuel controller (haven't decided which one yet), adjustable timing wheel, 2nd air filter. Will adding that require a dyno session?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The timing wheel will not require a dyno but having the intake and exhausts breathing better means you need to adjust your air to fuel ratio. To me that means going to a dyno and getting things set up right on your fuel controller.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys...I know I'm about 6 months behind y'all but I have a '12 VV with the performance air filter and the thrush muffler mod. I'm adding a fuel controller (haven't decided which one yet), adjustable timing wheel, 2nd air filter. Will adding that require a dyno session?
No and yes. No as you could buy your PCV from lloydz or Rylan, tell them your mods and get a map that is close for the mods you got. You wouldn't have to have the Dyno and I assume you already unhooked the o2s. A VFC III would even be easier.

But if you want to optimize your performance then yes, of course get a reputable Dyno. Another option is go with the auto tune.

So if your budgeting you can improve and Dyno when you get the bucks or just package it. I know lloydz has maps for about any configuration post Dyno so that could keep you rolling.

Good luck
Tim

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Please enlighten me..whats a TC and a CT?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts