Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an '11 vegas 8 ball. Only mod to it is some sort of slash cut exhaust. Wondering how much backfire is notmal...it seems to backfire a lot on decel...

·
13,003 Posts
Tighten up your exhaust flange bolts. Go for ride tighten them up again. Might need to do it a couple times. When pipes are hot they will burn you watch out
If the bolts get tight and it still does it you'll need new gaskets

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Vics seem to back fire. Two bought new they did it stock but quietly. They have both been dyno tuned with programmers and timing wheel they still do it some. another one bought used with stage one and pipes back fires some. Don't close throttle all the way on decel will all but eliminate it. Not fact but that's how it is here. Good luck hopefully someone will chime in with real answers.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Bump I want to know too. Did a search nothing . Maybe I did it wrong. A lot of good people here. Help. V.J. not that you are not big help on here but Your thoughts did not help me on this.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
how about just popping out the exhaust, to many people get all bent out of shape because we call it backfiring, its not a super technical thing. try unplugging the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you use the correct words to describe your issues, then you can get the correct answers. A backfire is when it fires back through the intake

·
13,003 Posts
Bump I want to know too. Did a search nothing . Maybe I did it wrong. A lot of good people here. Help. V.J. not that you are not big help on here but Your thoughts did not help me on this.
I did not know we were addressing your problems to.
Like I said tighten your flange nuts go for ride come back retighten them. You might have to do it two or three times.
Thanks for the bullying 1 Brunel

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
If you use the correct words to describe your issues, then you can get the correct answers. A backfire is when it fires back through the intake

understood, but 99% of the people know what is meant when someone says "backfire"

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So I'm just mouthing what everybody knows, right?
Too lean, that's the first thing. This isn't your Vic or my Vic, this is practically every Vic. Maybe Vics are particularly susceptible due to flow characteristics and factory decisions about timing and A/F. I kind of agree that the complaining about Vic popping is more strident than other V twin types but there may also be a higher sensitivity to the issue among Vic riders since many come from Asian bikes which I don't recall being faulted for excessive popping.
If the fuel mix was perfect there would be no unburnt fuel getting into the pipes but then if pigs could fly then my bacon would come air mail. There is no complete burn as suicide by tailpipe proves.
That unburnt fuel mix will normally roll out the tailpipe and be gone as long as you push it out. Throttle is the pusher.
The next thing is, read what VJ says. The long answer is any mechanical connection between the head and the hole at the end of the tailpipe is waiting for you to take your hand off that throttle so it can let air into the pipe.
What happens when air comes in contact with superheated fuel mixture? You knew the answer before I asked it.
Do what VJ says. Tighten connections and secure your exhaust in a way that doesn't force connections or otherwise invite air leaks.
Not happy with that solution? Still got fuel exploding outside the combustion chamber? Cheap, quick and easy doesn't get it, start futzing with the timing and the A/F. There always is a combination of factors that will reduce it at least, maybe even practically eliminate popping. If massaging the connections doesn't bring home the prize then all you need is time, money and skills.
Alternately you can go back to stock pipes and understand that it's still happening but you can't hear it. Of course you can always just put up with it. Sometimes you can get a handle on it and play it like a fiddle.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Two of my bikes were tuned at the VIC shop. V.J. I did not bully you on purpose . I tightened and re tightened and again on one bike it did not help. Sorry you feel offended. I give up!!!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
mine with and without cams, lloydz filter, timing wheel, my rebaffles, pcv and auto tune very rarely popped.

·
13,003 Posts
Two of my bikes were tuned at the VIC shop. V.J. I did not bully you on purpose . I tightened and re tightened and again on one bike it did not help. Sorry you feel offended. I give up!!!
It worked for me sorry it didn't work for you. Maybe you need new exhaust gaskets. Look to see if the header flange is even. Maybe one is over torqued and not applying even pressure

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was having quite a bit of popping on decel after installing my torque tubes, RPW pipe and getting the PCV w/ AT installed. I figured since the exhaust gaskets had only 200miles on them that they would be sufficient to reuse...I was wrong. I had to pull the exhaust again and replace them with lloydz gaskets. That made a world of difference, now it's only a very occasional popping when engine braking from relatively high rpm and throttle openings, which I can control pretty easily.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i put my pipes on (with new gaskets and checked several times for leaks and tightened twice) and had a good amount of popping on decel or when chopping the throttle. after the tuner was installed and the bike put on the dyno, (a couple days later) it runs smooth, never hot but still occasionally pops on decel. i've grown used to it, i like it and most likely it is just due to the pipes being much shorter than stock.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Seems to me a lot of Victory riders want the Hot Rod exhaust on accelerating but not on decel....
Exhaust leaks and out of whack A/F's will exasperate the banging (not really a pop is it)
Eliminate leaks, get a decent tune, then the rest is just Acceptance of the fact you have a free breathing exhaust.
I dont see it as a problem really!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts