Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any trick to backing a XC down a long (30 ft) sloping driveway? New house with small garage and I'm tired of doing 10 point u turns. Should I sit on it or walk along side. or just keep muscling the U turn?

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
I hate backing my Vegas ten feet outta my shed on flat shiny concrete..
No way Id be doing what you are.
Move house.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
I've read about these things you park on and can spin the bike around on. I forget what they're called though. Another option is to use a bike jack on wheels, lift it just enough to get both wheels off the deck and spin it around. Drop it, put the jack back, and go.

I think Harbor Freight sells a bike dolly that would work to do the same thing with.

You could also use any of these to do this when you get home so you're facing outward when you park.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 25 foot driveway and I have to snake my Kingpin past my Jeep and my F150. I find it easier to do sitting on the bike. A reverse sure would help!

·
Registered
332 Posts
A turntable would work wonders for you. Any incline and I have a hard time backing while in the saddle. Is backing in an option/any easier?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish. But not an option. So backing downhill on the bike shouldn't be a problem?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Back her STRAIGHT down the drive, keeping the bike level and
using front brake, only. When you reach the bottom of the drive, be careful on the transition from downhill to level roadway. Keep her level and take your time. Regards, Jim

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Member of this forum called Paul made a turntable himself and put a video about it on youtube ....

On slope's driving AWAY you should always use your rear brake BUT in your case backing up is not easy mate, sorry .... Ps outside your garage is it sloping or do you still have 3 feet ? Could you post a picture of your open garage with the slope in front ??

Edit ; https://youtu.be/OVn1qmzwluE

Our own Dr. Paul and many many more samples for you to look at.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do NOT use your rear brake! You need TWO feet down while backing to keep the bike level. Your feet can tell you what your eyes and brain may not. They are a second backup to keeping the bike level AND if it gets out of level, you need both feet down to catch it before it goes over! These are heavy bikes and it don't take much before they go over. Don't ask me how I know! :grin
Jim

·
Premium Member
8,966 Posts
Take Jenkins advice if you dont get a turntable device.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
If backing down the driveway is the only option I can tell you how I do it. I've been doing this a long time so I've got it down and can roll back feathering the front brake, leaning forward over the tank, with both feet just above the deck just in case I lose my balance. I literally ride backwards. I prefer to do this in neutral but being in first gear with the clutch pulled in does give you some back braking power if you need it. Many times I have already turned the bike off with the kill switch. With the bike off but in 1st gear and clutch pulled in you still have some braking power with the clutch.

Start slow and keep it that way. As soon as you think you've got it mastered is when you're most likely to drop it. We humans are funny that way.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I have had to back down my driveway to park in my garage with the bike facing out. No room to rotate it, so backing was the only option. It rolls much easier in neutral and I did it sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
definitely be on the bike when moving it...real easy to get away from you and tip. my garage is sloped and about 20ft long to the sidewalk. not a bad slope, but being on the bike, leaning forward a bit and feathering the front brake works best for me.

Just don't go turning your head looking behind you and ****...that will throw you and your balance a little off. look forward, use mirrors and ears.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I have backed out of my driveways many times. i usually two or three point it when getting to the base. Not a steep slope and only about 20 feet but never had an issue while sitting on the bike. Always use front brake and in neutral with bike off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That dolly looks like it might do the job if OP has the room to turn the bike around in its own length. I wonder how easy it is to drive on to the dolly? Can you brake the dolly to allow driving up and on it? Anyone have one of these? Jim

·
Registered
132 Posts
Backing down is not at all a comfortable feeling. I've backed down the drive when visiting my cousin. His drive is about 20 feet and a fairly good angle.
Front brake only and inches at a time when I transition to the street.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dolly

I have the dolly from HF it is great for storage. Drives on and off easily. Spinning it around isn't to tough. I got it on sale for $69.99 shipped

1 - 20 of 28 Posts