Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Be aware. If you have a Victory Backrest that has a Victory Luggage Rack attached or has had one attached and removed you may want to check this out. Additionally, if you have attached a aftermarket luggage rack, you could have this issue as well.

Google {PDF} 13E-048 (3 Pages)

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Be aware. If you have a Victory Backrest that has a Victory Luggage Rack attached or has had one attached and removed you may want to check this out. Additionally, if you have attached a aftermarket luggage rack, you could have this issue as well.

Google {PDF} 13E-048 (3 Pages)
Hmmm...I wonder how many people had to fall of the bike before Victory did a recall? They decide to recall the back rest as they should but refuse to recall the front fender on the Vision? There is plenty of evidence that points to the failure of this fender, how much does it take for them to consider a recall? I just don't get this company.

While they should be applauded to the backrest recall, they can't offer a solution until April 2014? Wow....what a fubar.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...I wonder how many people had to fall of the bike before Victory did a recall? They decide to recall the back rest as they should but refuse to recall the front fender on the Vision? There is plenty of evidence that points to the failure of this fender, how much does it take for them to consider a recall? I just don't get this company.

While they should be applauded to the backrest recall, they can't offer a solution until April 2014? Wow....what a fubar.
I am not familiar with the VV issue since I have a XR, but the recall letter states:

573.6.c.6. Chronology:
There are no incidents or injuries due to this issue.
A potential issue was identified during routine testing that occurred in December of 2012 where by a passenger backrest/luggage rack combination was observed to fail during a VDS (Vehicle Durability Simulation) lab test.
Subsequent testing determined that a passenger backrest/luggage rack combination could fail during the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The NHTSA demands a safety recall if 1.5%+ of production is affected. I'm still mystified why there was no recall on the H-D Twin Cam bearing failures.:(

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
is there a time limit associated with that percentage?
I don't know, but you can ask saddlebags and he'll post videos, graphs, charts and tell you how wrong you are.:ltr:

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Have the Passenger Backrest and the Luggage Rack both purchased at the Local Vic Dealer, havn't heard anything from them but think will swing by and see about it as would think it would be on Record from the Sales .. Between the 2 purchases amounts to quite a bit of money ..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not going to turn out good. If your Victory backrest has had any kind of rack attached to it, it is defective according to Victory. So where does that leave all of us who bought it to specifically add a rack?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
So should I be worried about putting Honey on the back of my scoot? 3 years and no problems as far as I can see. What exactly do they state as the failure? We have a lot of rides planned in the near future and cannot wait For Victory to get off their ASS to fix this ! It's going to be on the back of my mind now every time we ride together.:mad:

They can go to a major event and blow all kinds of money on free **** for the general public including free gas for a day to anyone who pulls in on a bike and we have to wait 1/2 a year for a new backrest bracket. I thought recalls were issued when the company that has the problem had a fix in place. Really! how worried should we be?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Yes, it would be nice if we were informed as to what to look for while waiting for a replacement to happen. I will be contacting my dealer when they open in a couple hours and ask them to find out, if they can, and pass that info on to me. I will then post it here.
If anyone in the east wants to beat me to it and contact their dealer and do the same, I'm sure it would be appreciated by all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There seems to be misinformation between Polaris and the NHTSA notice. According to my dealer and Polaris, the Cross Country is not part of the recall. It is the Cross Country Tour. Both confirmed the VIN of my XC is not part of this recall. But this makes no sense to me, since the XC Tour comes with the tour pack and NOT the lock-n-ride backrest. And the backrest that is installed on my bike is the part number listed in the recall. WTF? :crzy:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought a used backrest and luggage rack from a friend of my dealer for half the price. Since its chrome was gonna have it powdercoated, but if this holds true Im not gonna waste my money yet. Ill find out WTH is going on this evening when I stop in to my dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anymore info on this recall?
BBbob I did stop in to my dealer when I stated I was to find out what was going on, just forgot to post. What he told me was, that he knew about and it was out for a lil while now. Basically since its such a large luggage rack people were way over loading it. Consistantly overloading it was causing stress cracks since its aluminum. He told me as long as its not overloaded or ever has been I'd be perfectly fine. So pretty much a common sense deal IMO. He hasnt heard anymore of what Vic was planning to do anymore then we do. Not sure if that helps any but all I got.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Makes me wonder if the replacement will be a much smaller rack. If that's the case, I'm keeping mine. I don't overload it and I have the fitted Vic bag. Besides, placing a lot of weight back there is bad for the handling of the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Makes me wonder if the replacement will be a much smaller rack. If that's the case, I'm keeping mine. I don't overload it and I have the fitted Vic bag. Besides, placing a lot of weight back there is bad for the handling of the bike.
Ture story. I figure if I plan to put any significant weight on it I might just make up some angled support brackets for both sides using the existing bolt holes and also drilling new ones towards the front of the rack.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
BBbob I did stop in to my dealer when I stated I was to find out what was going on, just forgot to post. What he told me was, that he knew about and it was out for a lil while now. Basically since its such a large luggage rack people were way over loading it. Consistent Overloading it was Causing Stress Cracks since its Aluminum. He told me as long as its not overloaded or ever has been I'd be perfectly fine. So pretty much a common sense deal IMO. He hasnt heard anymore of what Vic was planning to do anymore then we do. Not sure if that helps any but all I got.
Pretty Much Figured that was the Big Problem .. I have never overloaded mine usually use it to carry the lightest stuff to give a bit more room in the saddlebags when on a Roadtrip .. Probably the very most weight ever had on it was 10 lbs.. Anyway have pulled it twice now and it all looks good ..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts