Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
talked to polaris today about backrest recall. Talked to samantha with polaris and she said, "if you have had a luggage rack attatched to your backrest, aftermarket or polaris it should be replaced." i had called where i purchased my 2012 CC and the dealer said only if victory luggage rack was installed. Samantha with polaris is going to call my dealer and inform him that any luggage rack was installed to replace under warranty. we'll see where this goes!cheers

·
Registered
236 Posts
What new info is there?

Backrest has always been the issue but is ANY the new deal?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the news is even if aftermarket luggage rack was used polaris said they would replace backrest.cheers

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Its frustrating that Ma Vic can not get all the necessary info out all at once and at the onset of the recall. They must hire ex Obama advisers.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
They still have not addressed what they are going to do for those who bought the first back rest and planned on getting a luggage rack later.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I received the Safety Recall Information notice also. However, I have a XCT. The tour is listed in the body of the letter. I did not think that the tour was impacted since the bike came with a trunk and not the Lock and Ride Backrest. I called Victory via the number listed on the notice and the gal checked my VIN # and said to be safe have it inspected by the dealer.

I called the dealer today and they said there is no issue with tour models since it is a different mounting system. The only issue with a tour bike would be if you purchased or traded the trunk for a Lock and Ride Backrest.

Like to know if any tour owners received the recall notice and have/had an issue with their trunk mount.

Thanks

·
Registered
289 Posts
They still have not addressed what they are going to do for those who bought the back rest first and planned on getting a luggage rack later.
Sure they did. From the letter just received:

If your Victory CR, CC, HB motorcycle is equipped with a Lock & Ride passenger backrest and has NEVER had a luggage rack installed with the backrest; there is NOTHING you need to do. Do NOT install a luggage rack onto your Lock & Ride passenger backrest, your machine is not affected by this recall.

In other words........it appears....they will do nothing for you.

Not a good situation.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I received the Safety Recall Information notice also. However, I have a XCT. The tour is listed in the body of the letter. Like to know if any tour owners received the recall notice and have/had an issue with their trunk mount.

Thanks
The recall has nothing to do with the trunk mount.

If you purchased a Lock & Ride backrest for your XCT and installed a luggage rack, you're affected.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I received the Safety Recall Information notice also. However, I have a XCT. The tour is listed in the body of the letter. I did not think that the tour was impacted since the bike came with a trunk and not the Lock and Ride Backrest. I called Victory via the number listed on the notice and the gal checked my VIN # and said to be safe have it inspected by the dealer.

I called the dealer today and they said there is no issue with tour models since it is a different mounting system. The only issue with a tour bike would be if you purchased or traded the trunk for a Lock and Ride Backrest.

Like to know if any tour owners received the recall notice and have/had an issue with their trunk mount.

Thanks
Yes, I received the same letter and thought it was for my 2011 XC that I had traded last month. But, the VIN was for the new XCT I purchased. I haven't removed my tour trunk yet and I do check the locking levers every other pre-ride check.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a CCT with both the truck and the backrest luggage rack. I have ran it with both and without either or as a bagger. Have not ran the backrest luggage rack sense I heard of the recall. My understanding was there was nothing wrong with the luggage rack unless you attached the backrest. I have asked my dealer to check into this and have heard nothing from him. But than I bought the bake used from a Honda dealer who does not sell Victory. The bike came from a Dealer in Fremont NE. I've rode up there and talked to him he know nothing of the recall. I've also talked to a local dealer he is suppose to be checking into it.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I read through the letter again, just to make sure, and found zero references that indicate it only applies to the OEM, Victory, or Lock & Ride racks.

My dealer told me that the recall doesn't affect my bike because I have a Witchdoctor rack installed so it's good to see that they're wrong. I plan on calling Victory and then visiting a different dealer to see if I get the same story.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Recall

I have a '13 Cross Country Tour and received Recall Campaign: 13E-048. I have talked to dealer and still waiting for confirmation. The wording is unclear in the Ma Vic letter, but, I believe the XCT with the trunk is not affected, even if your trunk has a luggage rack attached on top of the trunk. I believe the recall affects the CC and XCT with a passenger backrest and luggage rack attached behind the backrest. The important word to look for in the letter is the Lock and Ride Passenger Backrest with a luggage rack. That is the recall product. I think Vic needs more affective R&D on their accessory products. Besides, if you have a XCT why would you need a luggage rack attached to a passenger backrest, just remove your passenger backrest and put your trunk on. Just my opinion. If you can see the back of my shirt the significant other fell off. She said she's riding her V-Star 950. Ride Safe, Godspeed.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
There are probably quite a few owners of XCT's that run the backrest with a luggage rack instead of the trunk due to weight of the trunk when just riding local. The day I bought my bike a guy with a red XCT came in and picked up backrest/luggage rack for that very reason.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
backrest was warr using aftermarket luggage rack

my dealer called today and said ma vic approved warr backrest replacement. I had used a witch dr luggage rack. dealer said should see by 6-20 or just a little later. all i need to do is bring in old one when he gets replacement and swap.hope this helps everybody.thumb up

·
Registered
59 Posts
my dealer called today and said ma vic approved warr backrest replacement. I had used a witch dr luggage rack. dealer said should see by 6-20 or just a little later. all i need to do is bring in old one when he gets replacement and swap.hope this helps everybody.thumb up
Please keep us updated when you get your new backrest and try to use the witch dr tail rack. I have the witch dr tail rack on order and am expecting it in 2 weeks and have the OEM backrest (my dealer claims to know nothing about a recall). I've read (bu not seen pics) that the replacement backrest has 3 attachment holes instead of 2 on each side and the witch dr rack may not align.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
While never had a problem with my backrest and rack have a recall sitting on my desk and will be home today so if they want to replace it fine but went well over 25,000 miles with it with no signs of any problems including a 3,000 mile road trip just finishing up .. Will add never put a lot of load on it ever.. My heavier stuff went in the Saddlebags ..

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I should be picking up my new backrest this week (if they come in). You do not have to have a LR and the recall covers just the BR if that is all you have.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I should be picking up my new backrest this week (if they come in). You do not have to have a LR and the recall covers just the BR if that is all you have.
That is the logical answer, but not the answer everyone is getting. I call both Ma Vic and my dealer and both told me that without a luggage rack, I can't get a new back rest.

My dealer told me that if I buy a luggage rack now, she'll be able to get me a new back rest.

I also talked to Witchdoctor's (Becky) and she said that they have original style LR's on backorder and coming in. Trouble is, nobody is going to want them due to this problem. They'll have to spool up production for new LR's with the new mounting pattern.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts