Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

What kind of grill Gas or Charcoal?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a little Weber gas grill and like it but not everyone does. What do you use?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you're going to grill, do it right. Take the extra time to get all the flavor you can. Burn that charcoal.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Gas is practical but I really prefer a wood stoked campfire to burn it a bit and get bits of burnt wood and ash on the meat as well.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have a gas grill that just takes up space on my back deck. Given a choice I would always go for the charcoal grill instead.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Charcoal for sure is my first choice. Especially now that I have one of those charcoal starter contraptions that makes it easy to light without using that nasty fluid.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Absolutely charcoal is the setup! How many gas grills ive thrown away over the years, just installed a built in charcoal only grill on my patio, love it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I do enjoy a charcoal-grilled steak or burger. I'll do fish, shrimp, potatoes, corn on the cob...I love cooking over charcoal.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charcoal is edging ahead.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Charcoal for sure is my first choice. Especially now that I have one of those charcoal starter contraptions that makes it easy to light without using that nasty fluid.
a bit of gasoline to get the barbie off with a bang:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Charcoal all the way A gas grill is Un-American I am sure I read something about Obama and Reid preferring gas

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
No Coal Seam Gas!

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
For the past 20 plus years I grilled exclusively on propane gas grills. About 9 months ago a buddy turned me on to the Big Green Egg. My 12 year old Jenn-Air gas grill sits mostly dormant these days... I grill or smoke on my BGE darn near daily. You simply can't get close to the flavor of cooking over lump charcoal and wood chunks with a gas grill.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I just can't get past the convenience of grilling with gas.
We use our grill constantly. Near every night summer and winter. I use it enough to burn out a burner every two years max. I just buy a new burner, install it and am good to go.

If I had to wait for a charcoal fire each night we wouldn't use it near as often.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We use our grill constantly. Near every night summer and winter. I use it enough to burn out a burner every two years max. I just buy a new burner, install it and am good to go.

If I had to wait for a charcoal fire each night we wouldn't use it near as often.
Nonsense. With charcoal you have to do things backwards. With a gas grill, you get the food ready to be cooked, then go outside with the food, fire up the grill, and you're cooking. But with charcoal, you simply start the grill up first, then go inside and prepare your food. Once you're done getting your food ready, the charcoal is also ready. Sometimes you get done a little soon. So what, that's what, 5 extra minutes of waiting?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What, no button for both?

I have a combo which is the shiznit. In winter we gas grill in blizzard conditions and in summer we burn tree chunks.

·
Registered
89 Posts

I used to feel exactly the same way... What I've discovered is that it's not all that different... Maybe a few minutes. Then I always thought I would hate dealing with the leftover ash... Not a big deal in reality, especially cooking with lump charcoal as it produces far less ash than your typical briquettes.

Getting my Big Green Egg up to temp takes maybe 5 more minutes than my gas grill...

The real beauty is temperature control... I can get the BGE near 550 degrees in a few more minutes and cook some amazing steaks... Well seared on the outside and medium rare inside... In about 4 minutes! OR I can hold the temp at 275 and smoke a 7lb pork shoulder for 12 hours and never have a concern about running out of fuel.

I cooked some steaks on the gas grill a few weeks ago, just to see how different they really were... Simply not even close in flavor, texture, or juiciness... cheers

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Primarily I use gas because of local regulations regarding grills on decks, but out in the open I will go
with charcoal....cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I grill the year around and I don't want to go out on the porch in the dead of winter to fart around getting a charcoal fire going...sorry. My gas grill stands at the ready 365 and starts cooking only after a short warm up. I have had enough inconvenience in my long life, I don't volunteer for more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts