Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Holy **** , this stuff scares the pants off me ....:(

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I hate stopping on the Interstate and I have a full-sized Ram 4x4.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is where I live and its a section of highway I travel a lot.

Sometimes you cant help it and have to stop and you should be able to without some dickhead asshat truck driver running you over. He left the road side, through the grass and made his way back onto the road...Obviously NOT PAYING ATTENTION, probably F'ing with his phone or balls or something.

A few weeks ago I hit some thin metal that was cut into strips and rolled up. It was aluminum and melted in with the concrete road, I didnt see it until I was on it.

I had to pull over and had to check my tires. I wasnt going to keep going until the next exit, I might not have made it.

I have to travel for work and nothing pisses me off more than dumbass truck drivers. 40 tons at 80 mph 2 car lengths off a car is not uncommon.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
I Googled the wreck and viewed other reports. A more recent one says the truck driver fell asleep. I hope they charge him with murder. Please be very careful out there guys and gals.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
A buddy of mine and his daughter were killed this way. A car instead of a truck but otherwise...
Many many moons ago bikes were leaving this little honkey tonk and lining up on the side of the road as riders got going. A van, drunk driver, killed four right in front of our eyes and it was a right miracle he didn't kill another half dozen, though some of them might have been better off punching out.
Maybe seven or eight years ago it happened to a bunch of New Jersey riders in New Hampshire heading to Laconia Bike week. Fatalities and injury.

This is a repeat of an old awful sad story. That's how it works though. Simple math. Mass, inertia, body in motion.

There was a time when riding meant accepting that the laws of physics place riders in the prey column. We have over the years sought to improve our status. Some of it has paid off. Some of it is putting chainmail on a buck. He can take a swipe from a bear now but he's so slow and the mail is so noisy that a kid with a 38/56 can get close enough for a drop shot.

I swear that the "not me" bug is at epidemic levels in motorcycling. We literally are shocked and surprised when a human is decimated by tons of iron moving at significant speed. I am not trying to be callous but these are inevitable consequences and statistical imperatives. The only sure bet is to not play the game.
Folks will argue strongly that the preventative methods are proven deterrents to the fate these folks faced. We need to believe that if we check off the tick boxes on a list of potions, pablums and prescriptions for survival then this will be less likely to happen to us. Tell that to a Peterbilt.

·
Registered
471 Posts
In the last year I've had 2 "check your shorts" moments. Both with trucks, a tractor trailer coming over a blind hill was straddling the center line and on route 8 in the Adirondacks a logging truck was hammering around a curve drifted right over the center at me. I always ride to the extreme right on blind curves and hills. But if they are determined to hit me....
I thought as professional drivers truckers should be the best on the road. Maybe the constant push to "get it there on time" has some negative impacts.
Ride safe and stay aware.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Most of them were from my local area- I did not know any of them personally. Yeah- I mean ... that was one of the first things I thought of.. "I sure hope this was some kind of wide pull off area, and not just the shoulder." No- it was just the shoulder. NOT smart.

Best wishes to the families involved..

·
Registered
415 Posts
There but for the Grace of God go most of us when it comes to stopping on the side of the road. Pop is right, the "Not Me" bug is at epidemic levels in our sport and for the life of me I can't understand why. I've been at this a long time and seen enough to sober me up on more than one occasion. I try to keep that in mind when I'm tooling along fat, dumb and happy without a care in the world. One mis-step and you're on your final ride.

Regarding truck drivers, there are bad ones out there. But being one who chooses to make his living driving trucks I can tell you that the good ones out number the idiots. In order to attain a license to sit in control of 40 tons of what you buy in the grocery store or pump into your gas tank there's some pretty intense training.

I would suggest that instead of throwing trash talk at truck drivers in general, when you see one doing what you consider unsafe pick up your phone and call the number on the side of the truck or 911. If you want your complaint to be taken seriously make sure that you give your name and number.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It's being said that they stopped on the shoulder only because one of them was having problems with the bike.

No confirmation- just a FB thing currently circulating. Could be true, could also be just something that got going due to the commentary surrounding how dangerous it was to be stopped there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am willing to say that a vast majority of bikers dont stop on the side of an interstate for kicks and giggles. Most pull off on a ramp to rest and shoot the bull, if a biker is sitting in the breakdown lane, chances are high there is a mechanical failure; which is what the breakdown lane is for.

The bikers have a right to pull off and not get run over. The risk is higher of course, but necessary if you have a failure. This will also include you, your family in a car with the same issue and LEO's on the side of the road.

I posted here the other day that I hit some aluminum sheet metal and felt necessary to immediately pull off the highway and check my tires for cuts or damage. This could happen to any of us and therefore could get any of us killed.

The driver of the truck didnt stop for miles and only because he had a flat tire. The truck had 2 occupants and the driver was charged yesterday with a list of citations including hit and run.

Monday morning quarterbacking where they had to stop, where they have a right to stop, is blaming the victims and is in bad taste.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know this can happen on any road, not just interstate. It is dangerous to stop on the side of any road, but way worse on interstate. I hate riding interstate, and avoid them anytime I can. I know you can make better time on interstate, but when on a bike, who the hell is in that big of a hurry?

·
Registered
418 Posts
It is a horrible thing that could have been avoided in several directions but that isn't the point, I just read that another one of the cyclists have passed from this crash.

I avoid stopping on the interstate at all costs it doesn't matter what vehicle I happen to be using at that point.

And the comment about blind turns, this weekend a young man died here when he met a pickup head on in a turn. The driver of the truck was lucky to not have been killed as well, he reported that the bike was in the air when he saw it and had no time to react. I'm told it broke the engine free of the truck on impact.

Be safe, ride smart, always assume you're next.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
The other day, passing through Atlanta on 75/85, There were two vehicles in the breakdown lane. One had a flat tire. The one in front had apparently been carrying a large family. The entire group, including 6 or 8 kids, was out of the cars standing on the breakdown lane. Not one of them was watching the oncoming traffic. 75 mph is normal there.
My father taught me young that when you stop on the side of any road, regardless of the reason, the first priority is to watch the oncoming traffic. That said, they probably had no time to get out of the way anyhow.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I realize that in this particular accident it likely would not have made a difference,but in my career I have worked entirely too many accidents with motorcyclists that were not wearing helmets, at all!. We all take risks every day we ride or drive but I believe it is our responsibility to our families wear protective gear IE: Helmet, Jacket, pants, and shoes for God's sake. A guy passed me on the freeway yesterday on a crotch rocket wearing a tank top, shorts and flip flops...well at least he had a helmet on. I rode home yesterday and it was over 100° and 80%+ humidity, I was wearing a jacket over a cooling vest and I was very comfortable. JM2C!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It's a good wake up call. I've lived in an area with a very low population density for a very long time.
However I do spend the winters where there are a ton of people and a lot of them suck for driving skills.

Our biggest killer here as far as bikes is mother nature. Sooner or later it seems everyone hits at least one deer. In an average year I have narrow misses with at least 3.

I guess with the increase of distractions in modern vehicles people are more often using the shoulder as a last ditch escape lane? Is stuff like this that common or is this just a freak accident?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts