Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has suggestions This noise only starts at 20 mph or higher....is constant other than it stops occasionally when hitting a small bump etc but will restart when hitting another bump. I have checked everything and cant find anything that is loose. The wheel hub itself seems sound in that there is no play at all. Is the only possibility that a bearing could be going? Thanks for any input on this. Rick
Here is a link to the video of the noise...

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmFt3IOfS6hkj33uOc8f175ZJuvB

·
Premium Member
13,641 Posts
Not a bearing or it would be consistent through all speeds and would speed up the the faster you went.

The noise does sound familiar to me though. What happens when you pull the clutch in while the noise is going on/

·
Premium Member
13,641 Posts
I'm thinking something in the primary or possibly the transmission. I'd also, just to be sure, check your belt alignment and make sure both pulleys are tight.

Edit: Also, just because it sounds like it's coming from the front, doesn't necessarily mean it is. Noises can travel through the frame to sound like they are coming from somewhere else.

It's a little like when you smell something burning or some other odd smell while on the bike. Normally it will be from something ahead of you and not you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....the videos were made with the clutch pulled in and coasting.... Its noisy with clutch out as well just easier to hear with it in. It does start and stop with bumps sometime although not always. In the first video you can hear it stop at just below 18 mph Beats me :)

·
Premium Member
13,641 Posts
Well, maybe it is the bearing, and when it reaches a certain speed the bearings settle into a position to stop making the noise. Anything is possible.

It doesn't sound like a bearing noise to me though. My experience with bearings going out is they make a clicking sound rather than a rubbing sound like what you're experiencing.

I guess the next step is to run it by a shop and see what their mech's say.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does seem to speed up though as you increase speed. Or it might be more accurate to say it becomes less defined bud not really any louder with speed

thanks for the thoughts BBob I agree with what you say but it sure sounds frontish

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya i guess I will have to run it by a shop .... I guess to me it sounds like you were to swishing some pebbles around in a plastic bowl.... or rolling them around in your hand...Its a conundrum Thks

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I think if a person rides around slowly listening for noises from a Victory then they are going to hear them.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Round and round like a bad song.

Just checked out a rear end noise on a Yamaha Star the other weekend. Guess what it sounded similar. Told the guy I thought it was the bearings. He took the wheel off, yes the needle bearings in the hub/cush drive were bad. The wonderful bike shop that changed his last rear tire, tightened the fruck out of the drive belt. Hang things to tight to long they die....... I personally would jack the front of the bike up so the tire clears. Spin it see how it sounds. Have somebody hold the bike by the bars and then try moving the wheel up,down, back and forth, see if you feel some slop at all in it. If that does not tell you anything then time to start taking it apart. If you do not feel any play or slop or ruffness in the wheel movement I would pull the brake pads off and try spinning it, if the noise goes away you got a problem in the brakes somewhere( I doubt that's it). So now if nothing has solved the noise problem, pull the axle out and drop the wheel out. Take your finger and spin the wheel bearings, if they are ruff feeling or noisey, time for some new bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
What bike model? If a cross bike, check plastic guard above and in front of rear wheel to be sure it is seated properly up and out of the way.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Which noise are you asking about? There are so many noises...

If it speeds up/slows down with the engine rpm, it's in the engine. If it speeds up and slows down with road speed and pulling in the clutch/coasting doesn't affect it, it's in the wheels/chassis.

It will (of course) sound like it's up front because the windshield is reflecting the sound back at you.

It could be anything from the belt being too loose or tight to a bearing in the trans... I can't tell from the videos what the hell is going on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info and ideas guys . I did spin the wheel while on the jack and the noise was still noticeable. So..... I noticed there was a slight play in one of the spacers that sandwich the wheel. Looks like the guy who safetied it didnt get the wheel tightened up enough. After I tightened it that got rid of the noise. The play was ever so slight but it looks like it must have been vibrating when the wheel got up to a certain speed. thanks again to those who offered help on this

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Front or rear wheel? This is why I do not trust other guys with tools in their hands and my things. If the rear, I'd get busy checking the torques on the pulley bolts. If any one is below spec. remove them apply blue Loctite and torque to spec.

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
That's just crazy dangerous ... Lucky you found the problem.

Better take your time and check all other things like belt alignment, like RICZ said pulley, and many many more....

Life can be short lived with this kind of ingenuity

PS please check the expire date of your tires

Please change your brake flueds, etc etc etc

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Andre is giving you excellent advice. If the brake fluid in the reservoir's sight glass is darker than clear (like water) change it and do so every 2 years at the most. Get a set of Speed Bleeders to make that job stupid easy. Get them direct from Speedbleeder.com.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Thanks for the info and ideas guys . I did spin the wheel while on the jack and the noise was still noticeable. So..... I noticed there was a slight play in one of the spacers that sandwich the wheel. Looks like the guy who safetied it didnt get the wheel tightened up enough. After I tightened it that got rid of the noise. The play was ever so slight but it looks like it must have been vibrating when the wheel got up to a certain speed. thanks again to those who offered help on this
What does "the guy who safetied it"
Actually mean?
I'm Australian:smile
If the "safetieing guy is a responsible person who checks bikes for safety then he should be dragged over the hot coals for this officially before he is responsible for the death of a motorcyclist...
If he isn't already....
safetieing person hey, what is one of them?

·
13,177 Posts
Hope you used a torque wrench. And didn't guess at it

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Hope you used a torque wrench. And didn't guess at it
The last time I held my torque wrench was torqueing cylinder heads. Normally I don't use it.

Most torque specs are so the gorilla fisted mechanic will STOP tightening the fastener. Not "it needs to be THIS TIGHT.... but "It shouldn't be any tighter than this". Most of the time you are surprised at how low the torque spec is, right? We think something should be real tight, but the spec is only like 28 ft-lbs, am I right?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
The work I saw done by my competitors (who charged more than I did) was often of Neanderthal level. So HC, I'd say your are right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts