Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guy on facebook.

"So I did a stupid thing tonight. Got my cross country running in garage to get the winter bugs out of it and forgot about it a while and let it idle for about 45 minutes in garage with door open. Came back to it running weird and red engine light was on and oil temp gauge was at 350. I thought these things didn't overheat. Shut it off and let cool down for a while and now it doesn't start and cranks funny. Uh oh"

Rylan gave him the news
Rylan Vos This happened to two guys I know. First guy: melted the oil sump and destroyed the engine. Other guy: changed the oil and it recovered. Good luck to you! *fingers crossed*

Nick Tsorvas Had a lot going on. Got sidetracked. Kids and what not. It is what it is at this point. I let it cool down changed oil and it started right up. Ran it down the block. I think I'm ok.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
guy on facebook.

"So I did a stupid thing tonight. Got my cross country running in garage to get the winter bugs out of it and forgot about it a while and let it idle for about 45 minutes in garage with door open. Came back to it running weird and red engine light was on and oil temp gauge was at 350. I thought these things didn't overheat. Shut it off and let cool down for a while and now it doesn't start and cranks funny. Uh oh"

Rylan gave him the news
Rylan Vos This happened to two guys I know. First guy: melted the oil sump and destroyed the engine. Other guy: changed the oil and it recovered. Good luck to you! *fingers crossed*

Nick Tsorvas Had a lot going on. Got sidetracked. Kids and what not. It is what it is at this point. I let it cool down changed oil and it started right up. Ran it down the block. I think I'm ok.
Good info, thanks.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
They don't have overheating issues when moving but with no airflow any air cooled internal combustion engine will get very hot and may be damaged.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Only 45 minutes in cold weather garage .... Hmmmm

VJ love your posts ... Thanks for the info ..

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
This is good info... but what happens when you get stuck in traffic? My Boulevard was water cooled so that was never a problem... and while I don't run into too many traffic jams... they do happen.

Cheers!!!

Mike

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His bike was not moving. You be moving ever so slowly doesn't get hot like his.
The best thing you can do is keep the bike in neutral as much as possible with clutch lever out when stuck in rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
HOT times

My XR got very hot one time. Live in the Phx,Az area so it runs in the heat most the time, and very hot in traffic. But it did get extremly hot on the Strip on LasVegas once. I guess it was the lack of air movement on the road with traffic hardly moving. We had gotten to the motel and they asked us to move are bikes to another area. Bikes had only sat maybe 5 minutes. Went ahead and tried to start it, did not want to fire up. Opened the fuel tank and then tried it again, it fired up, possibly vapor lock I believe.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
His bike was not moving. You be moving ever so slowly doesn't get hot like his.
The best thing you can do is keep the bike in neutral as much as possible with clutch lever out when stuck in rush hour traffic.
Thanks for the 411... I got stuck last summer going to the fair... traffic was bumper-to-bumper and only moving about 2 to 3 mph when it was moving. Miserable on a bike... if I had my Vic back then it would have been kinda ugly I think...

·
Registered
599 Posts
This is good info... but what happens when you get stuck in traffic? My Boulevard was water cooled so that was never a problem... and while I don't run into too many traffic jams... they do happen.

Cheers!!!

Mike
Got to love those water cooled Boulevards. I had two before getting my Victory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts