Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 XC and was on a 7 day ride across OH, MI, Canada when the starter went. Tested for common things first... battery connections, battery, fuses, etc. Tried to start bike by leaving in neutral with key off and shorting out the starter, but nothing. Spent 2 days push starting the bike (this is a good reason to travel with several people) until I got to a local Victory dealer.

Local dealer tells me it is the starter and that an OEM replacement is $650 not including 2 hours labor. Ugh! Kicker is they don't have one in stock and I might need to wait 1 or more days. But hey, they have this no-name aftermarket one and I can get it installed now for $475 total. Since they had me over a barrel I pretty much didn't have a choice.

While I did get a 5 year warranty when I bought the bike, that only covers powertrain.

Is it common for the starter to fail on these bikes at only 15K miles?

Is there any recourse with corporate Victory? Based on what I've read on the passenger backrest issue, I'm not sure it would be worth my time to call.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I can feel your pain WD. Back around 1970, after a nasty divorce, while in Jackson, Wyoming, the starter on my Alfa Romeo went south. Incidentally, the only problem I had with a string of 4 Alfas. Had to wait days for one to come from Long Beach, CA. I had a camp site at an RV park in the middle of town and commenced enjoying what was around me including a pretty thing named Jean. But that's a hard R rated story, not suitable for you youngsters to hear.
I was wondering if you know about opening your throttle a bit to make life easier on your starter and avoiding kick back.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 2013 XC and was on a 7 day ride across OH, MI, Canada when the starter went. Tested for common things first... battery connections, battery, fuses, etc. Tried to start bike by leaving in neutral with key off and shorting out the starter, but nothing. Spent 2 days push starting the bike (this is a good reason to travel with several people) until I got to a local Victory dealer.

Local dealer tells me it is the starter and that an OEM replacement is $650 not including 2 hours labor. Ugh! Kicker is they don't have one in stock and I might need to wait 1 or more days. But hey, they have this no-name aftermarket one and I can get it installed now for $475 total. Since they had me over a barrel I pretty much didn't have a choice.

While I did get a 5 year warranty when I bought the bike, that only covers powertrain.

Is it common for the starter to fail on these bikes at only 15K miles?

Is there any recourse with corporate Victory? Based on what I've read on the passenger backrest issue, I'm not sure it would be worth my time to call.
I had a solenoid begin to go out on me at about that mileage range...did they check that? Only about $15 for the part and swapped it myself.

I would say that it certainly wouldn't hurt to call, maybe at least they will "upgrade" you to an OEM unit when your dealer has one available.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I'd be on the horn with Ma Vic in a second....Even if it didn't get me reimbursed, giving them crap would get it off my chest.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can feel your pain WD. Back around 1970, after a nasty divorce, while in Jackson, Wyoming, the starter on my Alfa Romeo went south. Incidentally, the only problem I had with a string of 4 Alfas. Had to wait days for one to come from Long Beach, CA. I had a camp site at an RV park in the middle of town and commenced enjoying what was around me including a pretty thing named Jean. But that's a hard R rated story, not suitable for you youngsters to hear.
I was wondering if you know about opening your throttle a bit to make life easier on your starter and avoiding kick back.
The starter went when I was in Canada. And I was travelling with 7 others, but no one to create any R rated stories. :) So waiting wasn't really an option unless I wanted to ride back by myself.

I did not know about opening the throttle a bit to go easier on the starter. Thanks for that tip!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a solenoid begin to go out on me at about that mileage range...did they check that? Only about $15 for the part and swapped it myself.

I would say that it certainly wouldn't hurt to call, maybe at least they will "upgrade" you to an OEM unit when your dealer has one available.
I did check the solenoid. And verified it was getting power via a circuit tester. Thanks. I will be calling Ma Vic, but not really expecting much.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be on the horn with Ma Vic in a second....Even if it didn't get me reimbursed, giving them crap would get it off my chest.
Thanks PaiN. You and I differ a bit on this as giving them crap, but not getting anything resolved, just aggravates me more. Like reopening old ones. But I need to call them, because you never know, they might actually do something.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Ever hear the saying, You get more flies with honey than vinegar? More often than not, I have gotten whatever it is I needed resolved by turning on the charm. One tactic is usually to make them laugh somehow, right at the beginning of the conversation, or ask about the weather they're having. That way they know I'm a nice guy not about to eat them up.cheers

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would make the argument that the starter is part of the drivetrain.

·
13,264 Posts
I think its your sprag gear its $179 if you can do the work your self pull starter. #6 Take it to automotive electrical shop and have them repair starter way cheaper then vic. Heck even look at ebay

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ryan at the vic Shop has a video on his face book, I've posted it on this forum at the end he talks about the starter. He says that if the engine backfires while your trying to start it the over run clutch will brake it cost about 200 to repair. He says to crack the throttle a little every time you start the bike so that it does not back fire. The Vic starter is always engaged it uses a one way bearing that allows engine to over run the starter when it starts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with Assurant, the plan administrators for Polaristar Protection plan. They told me the starter would have been covered if there was prior authorization to the repair. But the dealer told me they checked and it was not covered. Assurant said they have no record of the dealer contacting them. I got taken. I can right a letter and they will review it in 60 days, but I doubt I get my money back. :(

·
13,264 Posts
when you think about it the dealer can make more money off you then what Vic would give them.

You should go to dealer and ask them to call Vic while you stand there or ask for the copy or service number they used when contacting Vic.

Make them squarm

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Ryan at the vic Shop has a video on his face book, I've posted it on this forum at the end he talks about the starter. He says that if the engine backfires while your trying to start it the over run clutch will brake it cost about 200 to repair. He says to crack the throttle a little every time you start the bike so that it does not back fire. The Vic starter is always engaged it uses a one way bearing that allows engine to over run the starter when it starts.
1) Thanks for posting that link the other day. Good video.

2) He sort of alludes to this, but just to clarify: I read a few years back, on this or the other forum, about keeping your finger on the starter switch... and I've been doing that ever since. That is, don't be in a hurry to take your finger off, once the bike seems to start. So I linger a second or two longer than I would, with my finger on the switch, after it starts. I gather that this helps to prevent an initial backfire, if something goes amiss (unless I completely misunderstand this whole issue, which is possible).

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
1) Thanks for posting that link the other day. Good video.

2) He sort of alludes to this, but just to clarify: I read a few years back, on this or the other forum, about keeping your finger on the starter switch... and I've been doing that ever since. That is, don't be in a hurry to take your finger off, once the bike seems to start. So I linger a second or two longer than I would, with my finger on the switch, after it starts. I gather that this helps to prevent an initial backfire, if something goes amiss (unless I completely misunderstand this whole issue, which is possible).
yeah hold that starter till she starts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just got off the phone with Assurant, the plan administrators for Polaristar Protection plan. They told me the starter would have been covered if there was prior authorization to the repair. But the dealer told me they checked and it was not covered. Assurant said they have no record of the dealer contacting them. I got taken. I can right a letter and they will review it in 60 days, but I doubt I get my money back. :(
Oh I would be in there ranting and raving to the dealer about being lied to and forced to pay out of pocket for something that would have been covered if they had done their job correctly and fairly.

If they refuse I would be in touch BBB, Victory Corporate, Yelp and any other form to spread the news about what they did.

Totally unacceptable behavior from a shop to lie to a customer about warranty status.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts