Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone. Rode my 2014 CCT 2 days ago. I went to start this morning. Pushed the starter button and heard clicking. Less than a year old battery reading 12.5. Solid green light on my battery tender, so battery is fully charged. All cables are tight. I put in first gear and rocked back and forth. Everything comes on as normal. Bright lights and horn are strong. Pushed the starter button, still no luck. Does any body have any other suggestions? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,028 Posts
It could still be the battery but try sorting between the starter poles and see if it turns over the starter. Also check your ignition wiring. Check both connections of the grounding cable.

·
Administrator
2,591 Posts
It could very easily still be the battery. Remove the battery from the bike, fully charge it, take it to a chain auto parts store, and have it 100 amp load tested. A test such as this one is the only way to be sure the battery is okay. It is certainly possible for a battery to have enough power to light the headlight but not enough to turn the starter motor/engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could still be the battery but try sorting between the starter poles and see if it turns over the starter. Also check your ignition wiring. Check both connections of the grounding cable.
I will get the battery tested tomorrow. If it is good, I will take it to the next step and test the solenoid. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could very easily still be the battery. Remove the battery from the bike, fully charge it, take it to a chain auto parts store, and have it 100 amp load tested. A test such as this one is the only way to be sure the battery is okay. It is certainly possible for a battery to have enough power to light the headlight but not enough to turn the starter motor/engine.
I will get the battery tested tomorrow. If it is good, I will take it to the next step and test the solenoid. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,610 Posts
Clicking like the starter is turning but no start?

·
Administrator
2,591 Posts
Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Battery tested great. Solenoid was tested today. Not sure what I did would qualify as a full test but here is what I did. I took a circuit tester (the one with the light in the handle) and touched the terminal going from solenoid to starter. With the ignition on, I pressed the starter button and the light in the handle lit up. This tells me there is current going to the starter. What the light doesn't tell me if there is enough current going to the starter to make it work. Maybe taking to dealer for expert diagnostics. I appreciate all the responses you guys gave me. Thanks

·
Administrator
2,591 Posts
Another test you should do on the solenoid is to put the bike in neutral, double and triple check that it is in neutral, remove anything of value from in front of the bike (especially pets and children), and then jumper across the main posts of the solenoid (power into solenoid post and power out of solenoid post). See if this causes the starter motor to turn. If it does, the problem is the solenoid. If it doesn't, the problem may be the starter.

Reactions: depot picker

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to everyone. Rode my 2014 CCT 2 days ago. I went to start this morning. Pushed the starter button and heard clicking. Less than a year old battery reading 12.5. Solid green light on my battery tender, so battery is fully charged. All cables are tight. I put in first gear and rocked back and forth. Everything comes on as normal. Bright lights and horn are strong. Pushed the starter button, still no luck. Does any body have any other suggestions? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Falso contacto en el botón rojo

·
Registered
359 Posts
Battery tested great. Solenoid was tested today. Not sure what I did would qualify as a full test but here is what I did. I took a circuit tester (the one with the light in the handle) and touched the terminal going from solenoid to starter. With the ignition on, I pressed the starter button and the light in the handle lit up. This tells me there is current going to the starter. What the light doesn't tell me if there is enough current going to the starter to make it work. Maybe taking to dealer for expert diagnostics. I appreciate all the responses you guys gave me. Thanks
Have you tried jump starting it? Hook up some jumpers to a car battery (DO NOT have the car running) and try starting the bike, if it is a battery issue, you will know. I have had batteries "tested" in the past, and still found them to not be up to the task at hand. So this simple test will tell you straight up if you have a lack of juice, and unless the battery you attach to is a 1200 CC semi-truck battery, you are not going to hurt your bike by doing this. I have done it on my 2013 by jumping it from my Subaru Outback when my battery died the last time. Funny thing, these batteries do NOT seem to hold up well in these bikes. 2 or 3 years and it's time for a new one, in my expierence so far (9 years of ownership of my13 CCT).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get a basic multimeter that gives voltage. Harbor Frieght used to give them away, sure you can buy under $10. Cheap doesn't matter here.

Touch the negative battery lead with one lead, touch the starter solenoid on the battery side. You should read battery voltage 12.4+ volts

If yes, with an assistant remove the multimeter lead from the negative battery side and move it to the other lug of the solenoid and have your helper try and start the bike. If you get the same voltage reading of 12.4v give or take, your starter is most likely the culprit.

Now to test that. One lead of multimeter on negative battery other lead on starter. Assistant starts bike, voltage should be 12.4v. If not, wire break or ground issue to the starter. If yes, then remove your spark plugs and lightly tap the starter on the backside while attempting to start it with the start button.

Back up to the solenoid if voltage was not seen on the second side, you most likely have a bad solenoid. As previously stated, with the bike in neutral and your helper sitting in seat with clutch pulled, cross both leads of the solenoid with an old crappy pliers. If the starter engages, you definetly have a bad solenoid.

Hope that all makes sense and helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh, and to comment on previous posts, starting the bike from a car battery is ok, but only if the car is turned off. But still avoid if at all possible.

Motorcycle batteries will last you for up to 6 years if you keep it on a good battery tender every time the bike is parked for the day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts