Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. Been hunting the web and our forum and still trying to lock down some good info on baffles for my stock set up.

I like the atom bomb option. Just not a fan of sending the cans in the mail. Still an option though.

Also, not real interested in modifying the stock baffles by drilling them out.

So, who has swapped the baffles on their own? Do the thunder monsters work? What are the other options? Tough to track this down so far.

What are the options out there team?

Thanks a mil. Peace.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
The people that do this to make money don't want to share their secrets. I have heard about a guy here somewhere who gutted his mufflers and put car resonators on the ends. Sounded good on video but don't know how well they did on the dyno. I looked for it and can't find it right now.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just installed the Witchdoctors Muscle mufflers on my 2012 Cross Roads. It appears they cut the output side off, clear out the insides (as indicated by the fact that you can see through these and no daylight comes through the stock) & and weld on a new cap with a shorter, larger diameter tube. They swap out easy enough and look like the stock system because they basically are. I noticed no real performance gain and do get a little crackling and the occasional pop on decel.
The sound is very bass-y, with little to no middle and hi end, kind of like a quieter less annoying Subaru WRX exhaust. Quiet enough to get out of the neighborhood early in the morning without waking anyone up. I can try and take some video for you if you'd like.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The people that do this to make money don't want to share their secrets. I have heard about a guy here somewhere who gutted his mufflers and put car resonators on the ends. Sounded good on video but don't know how well they did on the dyno. I looked for it and can't find it right now.
You mean this guy?

I hate that guy. Doing all this stuff for cheap and giving away all the secrets! He even put it out on the web for some of the mechanically talented folks to do on their own! The bastard!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v8TDma2oeY-IOsJPbUxS6AoXhj52vZSWXF-B2qkBNn4/edit?pli=1

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
This is a great video with the Witchdoctor. You hear the baffled exhaust at about the 5 min mark. I'm assuming that that one sounds better because the engine's been modded too. If my stock bike sounds that good with thes muffs, that will be AWESOME!!!

http://youtu.be/eRlvAaHzsIE

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
You mean this guy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWBVjtf9e8

I hate that guy. Doing all this stuff for cheap and giving away all the secrets! He even put it out on the web for some of the mechanically talented folks to do on their own! The bastard!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v8TDma2oeY-IOsJPbUxS6AoXhj52vZSWXF-B2qkBNn4/edit?pli=1
Hehehe... is that you? I was thinking of another bike/person but this one sounds fantastic!

BTW; the Google Docs file isn't open for downloading without permission from the owner.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
This is a great video with the Witchdoctor. You hear the baffled exhaust at about the 5 min mark. I'm assuming that that one sounds better because the engine's been modded too. If my stock bike sounds that good with thes muffs, that will be AWESOME!!!

http://youtu.be/eRlvAaHzsIE
Jon's muffler's do sound good. On the XC(T) the one thing I personally found is the music can compete with the mufflers if they are too loud at cruising speed. On a bike without a stereo it doesn't really matter; just more of a personal preference. I personally like loud pipes to let freeway drivers know I'm there so they don't come into my lane out of the blue because they don't see me. With loud pipes they may not see me but they sure as heck can either hear me or feel the vibrations of the sound in their enclosed little world.

It a perfect world there would be a simple switch to operate solenoids to bypass the baffles when wanted. The same switch would also change the MAP to accommodate the different exhaust flow. The PCV has that ability now. Just need a set of switchable muffs to go with it. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go with the Ness Big Honkers. They replace your stock baffles. Nice throaty sound, better than the D&D exhaust and RPW IMHO. You will like the rumble and you can still have a conversation with a passenger, your riding buddy or commentary with another motorist.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hehehe... is that you? I was thinking of another bike/person but this one sounds fantastic!

BTW; the Google Docs file isn't open for downloading without permission from the owner.
The rotten sob just unocked the document. did you know he also has a cam swap write up in there as well? I really hate that guy!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The rotten sob just unocked the document. did you know he also has a cam swap write up in there as well? I really hate that guy!
Think that asswipe would have a source on those exhaust tips? From the video they look like a straigh tapered... cheers

·
Registered
579 Posts
Very interesting. I wonder if doing this with the 1.75 inch inlet/outlet would make a little less volume.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Think that asswipe would have a source on those exhaust tips? From the video they look like a straigh tapered... cheers
I think that numbskull went with an off the shelf itm from Vato Zone or Pep Boys trimmed to fit.

Very interesting. I wonder if doing this with the 1.75 inch inlet/outlet would make a little less volume.
Stage 1 is 1.75 inches and is quiet for loudness. a 2 inch would be better and give you better performance. The outlet from the header pipe is 2.25 so I would get the inlet at 2.25 and the outlet greater than 1.75. I went with 2.25 on both ends to match the header pipe and make better hp. Torque is noticibly different as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Exhaust escape

I just put the Muscle Mufflers - no baffle on my 11 XC. I love the sound, very loud and lots of bass. I do have to run a gear higher than normal, to keep the RPMs low, so I don't offend the neighbors (too much). The site says "some ppl say they can run it w/o a fuel controller". I don't know how, I have a controller and am still making the fine adjustments to get rid of a minor backfire (only happens in 1 gear on the upshift) and some popping on heavy decel.

I do have a small complaint -- the no baffle mufflers basicly have the ends cut off and it is a 4" exhaust. The factory tips do not fit flush with the exhaust, due to it being designed to have an exit pipe. This is allowing exhaust to escape prior to the tip and the saddlebags to get very hot.

I already have a solution -- I will be taking the mufflers off and having a muffler shop weld on a 2-3" exit pipe that will be stepped down from 4" to 3" or 3.5". This should keep all of the exhaust going only out of the end of the pipe and not escaping around the sides. Should also help provide a little bit of back pressure, which might help with tuning issues.

I will let ya'll know how it works.........

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Hey texan, what parts you from? I'm north of Austin and just put the same muffs on my XR. I'm getting a loud gurgling sound on decel and some burps when shifting. I have no fuel controller. I'd love to hear yours if you're close by and maybe see what you've done with the fuel controller. I may need to get one. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wjm

WJM, I'm up in Ft Worth. The bike, as is, is set up too lean. I have had to add a decent amount of fuel through out the accel range, still getting about 38mpg (however I like to dump the clutch quite a bit right now just to hear the pipes roar).

I just got my pipes back from the muffler shop with the 2inch extentions welded on and it's necked down to 3". Will post some pics on here this weekend and see if I can get a sound file to upload.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Cool, I'd be interested to know if the extensions made a difference ont he sound (both wanted and unwanted sounds).

·
Registered
19 Posts

I just finished swapping my stock baffles for some glass pack mufflers. I made some cuts and slid the baffles out. I used a 2x4 and a hammer and put glass pack mufflers in the stock muffler housings.
Well worth the effort. Sounds deep and throaty and only minimal popping. The outside diameter of the glass pack is 3 1/2" and fits very snugly inside the stock muffler housing. VERY!! snugly. I think I have $50 bucks in the whole deal. Sounds way better than the stage one exhaust. Sounds better than my Vance & Hines Road Glide too.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Hey Texan, any updates on the pics/sound file? Did the extensions make a big difference in the bag temperature or the sound?

I'm thinking about getting a PCV/AT. Which fuel controller do you have and were you finally able to get rid of the minor backfire and popping?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I just finished swapping my stock baffles for some glass pack mufflers. I made some cuts and slid the baffles out. I used a 2x4 and a hammer and put glass pack mufflers in the stock muffler housings.
Well worth the effort. Sounds deep and throaty and only minimal popping. The outside diameter of the glass pack is 3 1/2" and fits very snugly inside the stock muffler housing. VERY!! snugly. I think I have $50 bucks in the whole deal. Sounds way better than the stage one exhaust. Sounds better than my Vance & Hines Road Glide too.
I like the sound of this. Can you provide any more detailed instructions, Henry? I have never pulled apart a muffler before but would go at it with some instruction. Like, where did you cut? What length of baffle did you use? That sort of stuff. Living in Canada I pretty well need to order everything online from the US so these details count.

Thanks a mil.

Peace.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts