Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all just fitted my rpw thor to the vegas.
and it is way loud
has any one fitted a quiet baffle to theese pipes or can sugest something to shut them up
at present i have some stainless mesh shoved up them

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after looking at a few web sites i have made a baffle of sorts .its basically a piece of pipe which goes into the muffler from the rear about 4" .1 3/8 id ,i am happy enough now with the sound .its still plenty loud enough when you get on it..sounds a bit harley ish....easy enough to remove if i go to the drags one day.

dont no if its my imagination but does the gearbox change smoother when you free the engine up,

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am looking at the Thor's as well and am concerned about the sound. I was wondering how Big Slash perform's and sounds compared to the Thor. I contacted RPW. I couldn't believe the response from RPW. They said they don't have information on my question and they recommend I read the forum's.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
The Big Slash is louder, especially on decel.

If you guys think the Thor is loud... I just don't know what to say. I follow my bike on my friend's Goldwing and I can hardly hear my bike at all. From the saddle it's nice and quiet at idle/cruise/normal acceleration and only barks at full throttle. Loud? Really?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I,ve just fitted a Thor (God Of Thunder) on a vegas and its cool ticking over till you give it a bit :crzy: Dogs dont like it. Its a great pipe thats louder than i expected. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm doing research, I haven't heard the pipes. This thread reminds me of the story where an old man see's his doctor and says, "Doc - I'm really embarrassed about my silent gas". The doctor replies, "first thing I'm gonna check is your ears!".

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
The Thor pipe is too LOUD!??!!!! No way. Compared to most aftermarket pipes its quiet unless you're really hitting the upper RPMs. It is louder than the stock pipes but I can yell louder than those pipes too. BTW I have the Thor (shocked aren't you) and I like the sound. Wish it was a little louder.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
The Thor pipe is too LOUD!??!!!! No way.
I get "Man, your bike is quiet" all the time. My wife says "I didn't even hear you leave" or "I didn't hear you come in" all the time. In groups of bikes mine is always among the quietest, except for the ones with stock exhaust.

The Victory Long Drag pipes were BRUTAL if you were in the pipe wash... the SlashNess at full tilt boogie would make blood come out of your eye sockets... The Victory Shotguns were worse than either of those (painful)... but the Thor? Naaa...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
HC that vid on your YouTube list on the dragon I think where you're following another bike and ripping up through the curves.. Its hard to tell. Which pipes are you running? Sounds glorious I think. I'm hoping you'll say the Thor's.

Ah dambit.. I think those are the slash 2-2 you were running.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thors weren't too loud for me, unless I punched it.

I have to agree with NJ8Ball, especially since I have his old set now. It's perfect on my vegas 8ball. I love the sound. My wife doesn't mind it and neither does my dog. I don't live in suburbia, so I can't speak for my neighbors....

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
HC that vid on your YouTube list on the dragon I think where you're following another bike and ripping up through the curves.. Its hard to tell. Which pipes are you running? Sounds glorious I think. I'm hoping you'll say the Thor's.

Ah dambit.. I think those are the slash 2-2 you were running.
Nope, those were RPW Slash (SlashNess) pipes.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I get "Man, your bike is quiet" all the time. My wife says "I didn't even hear you leave" or "I didn't hear you come in" all the time. In groups of bikes mine is always among the quietest, except for the ones with stock exhaust.

The Victory Long Drag pipes were BRUTAL if you were in the pipe wash... the SlashNess at full tilt boogie would make blood come out of your eye sockets... The Victory Shotguns were worse than either of those (painful)... but the Thor? Naaa...
I'm starting to wonder now... The youtubes of the Big Slash sound pretty good.. I wonder if they're louder than the Thor for some oddball reason, maybe by design. ?? One would think they'd be nearly identical.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have had a Thor on my Hammer for 3 yrs. I don't think its that loud. I have heard of Thors being shipped without the baffle and they were get a ticket loud. Take the end cap off and see if that could be the problem, because they are not that loud.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had a Thor on my Hammer for 3 yrs. I don't think its that loud. I have heard of Thors being shipped without the baffle and they were get a ticket loud. Take the end cap off and see if that could be the problem, because they are not that loud.
it has a piece of perforated mesh about 2 1/2" id which is pointed on the inlet side probably 12" long. does this sound correct.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I'm starting to wonder now... The youtubes of the Big Slash sound pretty good.. I wonder if they're louder than the Thor for some oddball reason, maybe by design. ?? One would think they'd be nearly identical.
Immediately after my bike was tuned on the dyno, a bike was put on the machine with the Big Slash on it. It was way louder and had a 'jake brake' decel sound. The bike was stock compression, where mine is 11.2:1 and it was still louder. Louder than my old Bassani Road Rage pipe on the gas or off, and the Bassani is louder than the Thor.

Now, I am assuming the Big Slash was unmodified.... I didn't ask, but he said it was just recently acquired.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have to agree with NJ8Ball, especially since I have his old set now. It's perfect on my vegas 8ball. I love the sound. My wife doesn't mind it and neither does my dog. I don't live in suburbia, so I can't speak for my neighbors....
So you like em, that's good. I failed at modding the mufflers from the stock setup, found s1 mufflers on ebay 65 bucks and painted the heat shields red. I love the sound and the look

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Immediately after my bike was tuned on the dyno, a bike was put on the machine with the Big Slash on it. It was way louder and had a 'jake brake' decel sound. The bike was stock compression, where mine is 11.2:1 and it was still louder. Louder than my old Bassani Road Rage pipe on the gas or off, and the Bassani is louder than the Thor.

Now, I am assuming the Big Slash was unmodified.... I didn't ask, but he said it was just recently acquired.
Interesting. Thanks. I guess then as you know I'm looking for sound, so I may have to go Big Slash then. Best of both worlds.. More sound like the Slash 2-2 but with 2-1 torquer performance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a second reply back from an RPW rep. Interesting!

"I understand you are interested in the BIG Slash as well as the RPW Thor and wanting to know what the difference is. According to our sources (performance shops and riders) there is not much difference other the look and I will try to explain this in more detail below.
What we ask potential buyers when they are looking at pipes is the three criteria. Performance, looks, sound. Helps us to narrow down. It appears you like the 2 into 1 look, now for the other two criteria.
Sound. The pipes are very similar in sound. The Thor is noted for kicking out a few more decibels, but depending upon who is listening, it is ever so slight. Both pipes have a deep throaty rumble.
The performance can vary on our pipes but this depends upon what bike you are putting these on and what other add-ons; cams, ported heads, airbox etc.
For the pipes you have chosen, if you are just adding the pipes with an adjustable fuel controller (we recommend Lloydz) you will find on the conservative side an increased average of 5% HP. There is an increase in HP with the Thor vs. the Big Slash, however it is ever so slight that one may not even feel it.
When comparing these two pipes, its as simple as to what look do you like the best. I don’t think you will be disappointed with one pipe over the other if just adding a fuel controller. However, if you are going to go all out with a performance package, the Thor seems to get the attention, it’s known as the “street killer” – it’s the favorite of many performance shops.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rather Ride,
I just installed the big slash, PCV, K&N about 3 weeks ago on my vegas. during normal acceleration and cruising it is not loud but a low rumble, grab a handful and it barks :). I love it personally but its not for everyone, personal preference should rule the day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts