Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install a bagger shield on an XCT?

I am missing something or they are.
Man I get pissed off when I pay good money and wait forever for something that doesn't fit..... Wtf

·
Registered
450 Posts
So take it you ordered one and can't get it installed? Have you called them yet? I've never seen one on a Vic other than their site. It is an interesting idea.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So take it you ordered one and can't get it installed? Have you called them yet? I've never seen one on a Vic other than their site. It is an interesting idea.
I thought so too.
But
It looks like there made for the older XCTs. With the short shield.
I would guess by the look of the way this mounts that the short OEM shield used 4 screws.

But the factory tall shield they started installing uses a cool set of brackets that bolt to where the short shield used to bolt to.
The brackets for the tall shield add two extra screw holes that add support for the tall shield. And the holes in the brackets don't line up with the holes in the Bagger Shield.

Even though there web site says it will fit...

Product 18/19
ADJUSTABLE WINDSHIELDS ====

Fitment
Victory Cross Country 2010-Present
Victory Cross Country Tour 2011-Present
Patent Pending

·
Registered
247 Posts
I did.
The standard mount on the XCT has extended arms to help support the large screen. The screen also hangs over the front of the fairing.
The Baggershield is designed for a standard XC mount and fits BETWEEN the dash and fairing. Same as the XC.
You need to remove the old screen and the extended arms on the mount to be able to fit the Baggershield. It's a pain in the arse to squeeze the shield into the small space between the fairing and dash but it is possible. Perhaps there is someway to loosen the dash and fairing to make it easier to slide in, but I didn't do that.
Look at some close up pictures of stock XC and XCT windscreens and you will get the idea.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did.
The standard mount on the XCT has extended arms to help support the large screen. The screen also hangs over the front of the fairing.
The Baggershield is designed for a standard XC mount and fits BETWEEN the dash and fairing. Same as the XC.
You need to remove the old screen and the extended arms on the mount to be able to fit the Baggershield. It's a pain in the arse to squeeze the shield into the small space between the fairing and dash but it is possible. Perhaps there is someway to loosen the dash and fairing to make it easier to slide in, but I didn't do that.
Look at some close up pictures of stock XC and XCT windscreens and you will get the idea.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
I don't want to jam it in there. That is a piss poor way to sell a shield.
I will make and add spacers to stand the shield off the front of the bike like the OEM shield.

The other issue is they say use the OEM hardware to install the bagger shield. Well you can't as the OEM hardware that is used to hold the brackets on are ugly. They were never meant to be seen.

Not happy they need to put some effort into there product.

Thanks for the info. Helps a lot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
KOTOR, other than the install, do you like the shield? How tall are you, and can u see over the tinted part of the shield easily? I was going to order one during the sale but couldn't get any feedback at that time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and can easily see over the tinted part of the shield. In fact, once installed it's very close to the stock shield as far as sight lines go. Still look through the screen instead of over. When I flipped the screen to make it shorter I could easily see over the tinted part and got a face full of noisy air. So noisy in fact that it was difficult to hear the tunes and for me it was uncomfortable. I leave the screen in the tall mode 99% of the time.
I have found over time that where the two sections of screen meet and are held together with the well nuts, there must be some friction or vibration when riding and fine dirt gets in. This causes rub marks along the area where it all meets. Tightened the well nuts as much as possible but did not seem to help. Does not look good. Tried to rub out the fine scratches with different kinds of swirl remover stuff with minimal success. The rest of the screen has held up well.
Do I like the screen?
Believe it or not I like the way it looks on the bike with the tint on the bottom and clear on top. Except for the wear at the two sections it's holding up well. The idea of a tall and short screen easily interchangeable works better on youtube then in reality in my opinion.
That being said and done I would not buy another. YMMV.
Next move might be the ugly Madstad.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and can easily see over the tinted part of the shield. In fact, once installed it's very close to the stock shield as far as sight lines go. Still look through the screen instead of over. When I flipped the screen to make it shorter I could easily see over the tinted part and got a face full of noisy air. So noisy in fact that it was difficult to hear the tunes and for me it was uncomfortable. I leave the screen in the tall mode 99% of the time.
I have found over time that where the two sections of screen meet and are held together with the well nuts, there must be some friction or vibration when riding and fine dirt gets in. This causes rub marks along the area where it all meets. Tightened the well nuts as much as possible but did not seem to help. Does not look good. Tried to rub out the fine scratches with different kinds of swirl remover stuff with minimal success. The rest of the screen has held up well.
Do I like the screen?
Believe it or not I like the way it looks on the bike with the tint on the bottom and clear on top. Except for the wear at the two sections it's holding up well. The idea of a tall and short screen easily interchangeable works better on youtube then in reality in my opinion.
That being said and done I would not buy another. YMMV.
Next move might be the ugly Madstad.
For me at 5'7" it looks like it should be at nose level. It is about 3/4 as tall as the OEM. Witch would or should be good height.
I had been looking at these shields for a while and wondered about the way they support the clear top section. I was thinking that the top section would flex in the wind and mark up the top of the lower tinted section.

Do you have an XCT with the tall shield? If so you didn't use the bolts from the support bracket to hold the bagger shield did you?

The thing that pisses me off is that now I need to make 4 stand offs so it sits off and away from the fairing like the OEM.
I need to find some hardware that looks half decent. And it should have rubber washers so it doesn't crack where the bolts hold it.

Should be a 5 min job to install this... Not ........

·
Registered
781 Posts
This is why I don't want to mess with bigger ticket aftermarket items requiring special fitments. However- the Victory OEM W/S was (and is) an amazing PITA too. The instructions were absolutely horrid. The printer was apparently out of ink, and the drawings looked like a 5 yr old freehanded them.

The "no tools needed" is also a crock of ****. The clamps are so unbelievably tight- I have to lever them off with a screwdriver and spread them out with some pliers to fasten.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bagger Shield Update
Sent them an email..... No reply..
So I called and got voice mail. I left a msg .......no reply.

So I kept looking at the Victory OEM Tall Shield Brackets. These brackets are extremely well designed and look very cool too.
So I just couldn't bolt this thing on the bike the way Bagger Shield instructions said to. Witch said remove the brackets. That made no sense.

So I decided to drill new holes in the Bagger shield to match the holes in the OEM shield. This would allow the Bagger Shield to sit up off the fairing just like the OEM shield on the OEM tall shield brackets.

On the plus side it looks great mounted on the OEM brackets.

On the negative side I have four unused holes in the Bagger Shield.
I don't see them from the saddle. I think I can find some plugs to fill the holes.

Now this is the strange part.........

The bike feels less stable or more nervous with the smaller shield. Seems that tall shield some how gives the XCT stability at speed...

The exhaust seems much louder with the small shield. How the hell can this be?

And the best for last.........
The tranny noises have been reduced by more than 50%.
I know some of you are going to say that is because there is more wind noise. And I agree the big shield lets you hear every tick and click of the motor. But even going slow when there is no wind the tranny is quiet. Or at least the sound isn't as prevalent. And for me this is FANTASTIC.
I can barely hear the valves. Its fantastic...
The wine of the tranny is much louder. I can live with that but I can't stand clicking and ticking.

So all in all it has made the bike like its new and tight again....
Very happy with my bike again.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Anyone install a bagger shield on an XCT?

I am missing something or they are.
Man I get pissed off when I pay good money and wait forever for something that doesn't fit..... Wtf
I have the Baggershield. Overall, not a bad windshield. You have to pop the fairing off to install. I would recommend using that plastic car door edge protective "U" strip on the top of the fairing where the windshield contacts the fairing. The Baggershield fits down behind the top edge of the fairing. It stops vibration and paint rub on the fairing at that point.

Pros:
1) Offers good protection from wind even with the top section off. In fact I almost never put on the top piece.
2) Looks good on the bike.

Cons:
1) You can't see through the tinted bottom when riding into a low sun (eg. Morning or evening). It becomes cloudy looking out.
2) The top clear piece has some weird little distortion when looking through it. It becomes irritating after a while.
3) If you install the top piece on the back side of the bottom shield you get whistling from time to time due to the airflow through the bottom of the shield.

Overall....I like it, but am a little disappointed. I don't know of anything out there that offers better alternatives and versatility though.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update
I received an email from BaggerShield.
They say by removing the 6 hole tall shield factory brackets the BaggerShield fits the bike just like the early model XCs

And that is true but why not offer a shield for the old and the new?

·
Registered
39 Posts
No Baggershield 4 Me

Just attempted install of the 8/14 on my XCT. Found bad manufacturing defect - the mating holes to connect the upper and lower shields are off by almost 1/2 inch :mad: making it essentially useless to me . Needless to say it been shipped back for a refund. Other disappointment is the clear shield does not fit in the stored position behind the lower, not enough room between lower shield and dash. Needs to be stored in front of the lower shield. Very disappointed in the product. :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts