Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ballisticparts.com/index.php here is a new technology battery that does not use water, 1/3 of the weight, and storage life in 1 year if not used will be 90% of capacity. I seen this new battery on Motorhead garage last night and am really impressed with its size and weight. They put these batteries in all sorts of different applications from ATV to watercraft, to Harley baggers with the stereos and lights. Sent them an email to find out when they will represent Victory line of motorcycles. This battery has a full 3 year warranty. And you all know most batteries only have a 90 day to a year in a motorcycle. Reduced size gives you more room under the seat for extra storage or toy add on s. As of right now on their web site they have the replacement battery for the Indian. So I am curious if you guys like the idea of this new product to give them a shout to get them to represent Victory line of bikes. It will not be long before I need a new battery.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So I am curious if you guys like the idea of this new product to give them a shout to get them to represent Victory line of bikes. It will not be long before I need a new battery.
I am a big fan of smaller and lighter. I saw a video of a guy doing an upgrade on a KLR650 and he used one of these or equivalent. He had to get a spacer to make it fit solidly in the space provided for the battery.

Two things to consider:

1. I'm pretty sure its a Lithium Ion battery. A special purpose charger may be required for that type of battery.

2. If you haven't seen an LI battery catch fire, it's something worth youtubing.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ballistic Performance Component Batteries use the latest, state of the art lithium ferrous energy storage technology available to provide you with a smaller, lighter, higher energy battery. Each Ballistic Performance Component Battery is assembled by hand in the USA using computer designed custom cells, cases, and hardware. As a result, Ballistic Performance Component Batteries will provide more energy out of a smaller package while requiring almost no regular maintenance and under most conditions a longer service life than existing lead acid batteries.
Up to 80% smaller than the stock battery
Up to 10lbs Lighter than the stock battery
Service life of over twice a lead acid in similar conditions
Industry leading 3 year warranty
Designed, developed, and assembled in the USA
Completely “dry” technology so batteries can be mounted in any direction
Non-toxic, recyclable, and can be air shipped
Applications for powersports vehicles from 50cc - 2300cc
Tested extensively by professional race teams
Impact and water resistant
Works with the original equipment charging system
No trickle charger required, loses only 10% of charge over a year of static use
This is from their website...cheers

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Which battery model number?

And what are YOUR thoughts after installing them for a year?

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your email. We have those batteries now. They are the 16HD, part number 100-014.

Thanks,
Ballistic Response Team
[email protected]
(920) 545-4956

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Whats the price range?
I saw them in a bike shop today. A model meant for motorcycles up to 1000 cc was selling for $159.00. A similar gel battery was going for $99. I'm guessing a plain lead acid job would go between $60 to $80, but they didn't quote that.

Though they claim their robust design, there is still a picture of a fire on the box with a warning, "flammable if damaged."

They have a 3 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last Harley battery (lead-acid) was $100, then tried different types. The cold cranky amps was not high enough and to turn over the motor or last as long as a Harley battery.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I'm about to order one of the Ballistic batteries. It would seem the right size for my bike is also their most expensive one, the 16Cell HD http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/16cellHD.php. At $300, this is not a cheap investment. What's a good place to buy them from? Anybody have any good/bad experience with any retailers?

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
I don't have any experience with the moto batteries. Just the LiPo's I learned about when I got involved with some Radio Controlled Heli's that didn't really go anywhere in the long run. I do think it's a good idea to have an in line quick disconnect for them and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one of the battery chargers they say you won't need. A standard battery charger won't work.

This is the site I have bookmarked for all that. Maybe other have better sources...

http://www.directharleyparts.com/ballistic-batteries-m-197.html

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Hang in there CrossRoads, don't touch that dial until you see the August issue of Motorcyclist magazine. In it is an article about these types of batteries with a testing of the various brands. They do have some drawbacks: they don't like vibration and overcharging will be the end of it, so you would need a charger made specifically for that type of battery. $80 please.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Oh, and be aware, they can blow up and catch fire.

Hardly ever happens of course but it has happened so care should always be taken when dealing with these new technology batteries.

Just a word to the wise since you are the master of disaster when it comes to electrics... and I mean that in the most respectful way since you are THE superman when it comes to HID lighting. :D

Thank you very much for what you do by the way!!!

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Oh, and be aware, they can blow up and catch fire.

Hardly ever happens of course but it has happened so care should always be taken when dealing with these new technology batteries.

Just a word to the wise since you are the master of disaster when it comes to electrics... and I mean that in the most respectful way since you are THE superman when it comes to HID lighting. :D

Thank you very much for what you do by the way!!!
Exploding/burning lithium-ion batteries caused a UPS plane to crash and kill all on board. :(

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Advantages

High energy density - potential for yet higher capacities.

Does not need prolonged priming when new. One regular charge is all that's needed.

Relatively low self-discharge - self-discharge is less than half that of nickel-based batteries.

Low Maintenance - no periodic discharge is needed; there is no memory.

Specialty cells can provide very high current to applications such as power tools.

Limitations

Requires protection circuit to maintain voltage and current within safe limits.

Subject to aging, even if not in use - storage in a cool place at 40% charge reduces the aging effect.

Transportation restrictions - shipment of larger quantities may be subject to regulatory control. This restriction does not apply to personal carry-on batteries.

Expensive to manufacture - about 40 percent higher in cost than nickel-cadmium.

Not fully mature - metals and chemicals are changing on a continuing basis.

·
Registered
530 Posts
There are many types of Lion batteries and the LiFePO4 ones are safe:

"They withstand incredible degrees of overcharge without significant damage (some maufacturers have tested to 10 volts on a single cell without significant damage other than somewhat shorter cycle life).

They can in some cases withstand overdischarge with minimal damage i.e. shorter cycle life.

Withstand short circuits without safety issues

Withstand being punctured without serious safty issues.

Withstand high temperatures up to 300 degrees F without issue

Able to supply very high power without excessive heating. Temperatures remaining at levels that can be touched by human hands without being burned & for the most part remaining comfortable. (110degrees F)"

LiFePO4 info.

Lithium Iron Phosphate(LiFePO4)

"In 1996, the University of Texas (and other contributors) discovered phosphate as cathode material for rechargeable lithium batteries. Li-phosphate offers good electrochemical performance with low resistance. This is made possible with nano-scale phosphate cathode material. The key benefits are enhanced safety, good thermal stability, tolerant to abuse, high current rating and long cycle life. Storing a fully charged battery has minimal impact on the life span. As trade-off, the lower voltage of 3.3V/cell reduces the specific energy to slightly less than Li-manganese. In addition, cold temperature reduces performance, and elevated storage temperature shortens the service life (better than lead acid, NiCd or NiMH). Li-phosphate has a higher self-discharge than other Li-ion batteries, which can cause balancing issues with aging. Figure 6 summarizes the attributes of Li-phosphate."

More Info:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts